What is the future role of Elfhelm

egg of the king

Mort pour Rien
I want to see what others think about the future role of Elfhelm. I came upon this question when I was thinking about Flora and her domain. I personally see Elfhelm as a permanent "safe house" throughout the series. Also, insofar as the series might end with a huge battle, I see it taking place here.

we really don't know any "roles" for elfhelm at this point, it's just a 'destination'. I really don't any battle will take place, but :miura: will certainly find a way to surprise us.

I wonder more about what the party will encounter along the way - who wouldn't want to see Guts fighting a kraken or wrasslin' some sharks? :guts:

Can't speculate anything much for Elfhelm's role other then a safe haven where the group can learn more about the spiritual/magical world and heal Casca/rest up a bit.

I expect it to be a place like godo/godot's, it wont be impervious to attack but its out of the way enough and the people that dwell there keep a low profile so that its left alone.

I'm looking forward to the crew finally reaching Elfhelm. It could be, as egg of the king pointed out, a permanent "safe house" for Guts and co. to return to every once in a while. Or maybe even a beautiful looking Rivendell-esque place, just for comparison's sake. What I'm really hoping for, and this may be a long shot, is some further information on Skull Knight. Despite the ever so popular belief of SK being an elf( :carcus:), King Hanafubuku may have a few words to say about him.

And speaking of Flora, is Griffith aware of Elfhelm and King Hanafubuku? If the king has the power to heal Casca, he probably has some other tricks up his sleeve. Hanafubuku might pose a serious threat to Griffith. I certainly hope Miura doesn't throw us a curve ball by having Elfhelm already destroyed, or as Guts reaches the place, a smiling Griffith and his new Band of the Hawk is shown among flaming ruins.
:griff: "Hey there, Guts ol' pal.

Then again, the prospect of another confrontation between the two is rather appealing.

Mormegil said:
What I'm really hoping for, and this may be a long shot, is some further information on Skull Knight. Despite the ever so popular belief of SK being an elf( :carcus:), King Hanafubuku may have a few words to say about him.
Didn't Puck comment that SK had a scent of fairy to him (episode 142) when he first saw the boned one? If so, I wouldn't be shocked (I almost expect) SK to have a stronger connection to Skellig/Elfhelm for him to smell of fairies.:SK:

Mormegil said:
And speaking of Flora, is Griffith aware of Elfhelm and King Hanafubuku?
We don't know to what extent Griffith is aware of magical/spiritual personas and locales like witches & wizards. But seeing as he knew about Flora, a famous witch (in her area at least), it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Griffith to find out about a big shot like the King of the Flower Storm from some of his supernatural subordinates.

Jhot obs said:
Didn't Puck comment that SK had a scent of fairy to him (episode 142) when he first saw the boned one? If so, I wouldn't be shocked (I almost expect) SK to have a stronger connection to Skellig/Elfhelm for him to smell of fairies.:SK:
Well, since the SK wore the same Armor Guts is currently wearing, and Schierke says in Episode 226 (Page 18) that "That is a cursed item created by the dwarves. The Berserk's armour.", that's the reason Puck felt a fairy scent near SK, the first time he saw him. I'm really not sure SK is an elf or anything like that... :badbone:

As for Elfhelm's role, it seems that Guts current only goal is to go there for Casca to be cured. At the same time, they may try to do something about the Armor, and if there is time left, maybe get some rest!?...

Mormegil said:
And speaking of Flora, is Griffith aware of Elfhelm and King Hanafubuku? If the king has the power to heal Casca, he probably has some other tricks up his sleeve. Hanafubuku might pose a serious threat to Griffith. I certainly hope Miura doesn't throw us a curve ball by having Elfhelm already destroyed, or as Guts reaches the place, a smiling Griffith and his new Band of the Hawk is shown among flaming ruins. 
:griff: "Hey there, Guts ol' pal."

:guts: "You maniac! You blew it up!"

asmer said:
Well, since the SK wore the same Armor Guts is currently wearing, and Schierke says in Episode 226 (Page 18) that "That is a cursed item created by the dwarves. The Berserk's armour.", that's the reason Puck felt a fairy scent near SK, the first time he saw him. I'm really not sure SK is an elf or anything like that... :badbone:
Well I wasn't trying to imply SK was an elf or anything like that; just that he associates himself with them to that point Puck can get a whiff of fairy.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jhot obs said:
Didn't Puck comment that SK had a scent of fairy to him (episode 142) when he first saw the boned one?

Ok guys, quit it already with the fairy scent thingie. Puck says SK has an "elfin aura" ("he feels like elf"), not that he smells of fairies. Please take these translations with a grain of salt. Berserk is all about elves. :puck:

Jhot obs said:
Well I wasn't trying to imply SK was an elf or anything like that; just that he associates himself with them to that point Puck can get a whiff of fairy.

Well, the last sentence was just me trying to be funny... :troll:

Important part is that the "elfin" aura (to quote our beloved administrator) associated with the SK may be related to the fact that it seems that, in the past, he wore the Berserk Armor, which was made by... the dwarves! :carcus:

Aazealh said:
Ok guys, quit it already with the fairy scent thingie. Puck says SK has an "elfin aura" ("he feels like elf"), not that he smells of fairies. Please take these translations with a grain of salt. Berserk is all about elves. :puck:
D'oh! You're right. That aura on SK could also, as asmer pointed out, from the Berserk armor that SK used to wear.

Anyway, I don't think anything else can be said about Elfhelm's role in Berserk at the time being other then what we we to see happen there.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yota821 said:
we really don't know any "roles" for elfhelm at this point, it's just a 'destination'. I really don't any battle will take place

I agree, for now, its role will just be to have Guts and Casca cured, take some rest, learn more about the world and everything, and take a decision concerning their future (this applying to the whole band).

Mormegil said:
It could be, as egg of the king pointed out, a permanent "safe house" for Guts and co. to return to every once in a while.

I don't think so. They'd have to go back there, and that means taking a boat, having possibly a long trip, etc. Not realistic IMHO, they'd need SK to use the Yobimizu no Tsurugi to return to Elfhelm fast, and while we don't know whether he could or not, we do know that he doesn't like to use it if it's not a life or death question. I don't think they'll visit Elfhelm a lot, although maybe they'll come back to live in Skellig after it's all finished. :guts:

Mormegil said:
What I'm really hoping for, and this may be a long shot, is some further information on Skull Knight.

I think it may very well be the Elf King that made SK into what he is, or at least had a part in saving him from something (I'm vague on purpose).

Mormegil said:
And speaking of Flora, is Griffith aware of Elfhelm and King Hanafubuku? If the king has the power to heal Casca, he probably has some other tricks up his sleeve. Hanafubuku might pose a serious threat to Griffith. I certainly hope Miura doesn't throw us a curve ball by having Elfhelm already destroyed

I think Griffith knows about Elfhelm. I also think that the elves won't fight, just because it's not in their nature (well, Puck's an exception :p). I've stated many times that I find it extremely unlikely that Griffith would destroy Elfhelm before Guts and his group reach it. Griffith has limits to his power for now, we've seen them with Ganishka. He also didn't just send anyone to take Flora out... Zodd, Grunberd and a squad of apostles. She was dying, but she showed her power at the last moment, it gave us an idea of what a serious magic user can do.

Griffith is busy with the Kushans these days, and he has to take Midland back and protect his own interests from the Holy See and the other nearby nations. To get to Elfhelm, he'd also need a fleet, which he doesn't possess at the moment, and he would have to pass all of Skellig's protections against evil, and then fight against many magic users, supported by elves and who knows what else. Seems a bit risky to me.

asmer said:
Well, since the SK wore the same Armor Guts is currently wearing

That doesn't mean anything, though. SK said he wore that armor a long, long time ago. And he doesn't wear it anymore, so it's something else IMHO (and nobody commented on anything emanating from Guts since he started wearing the armor). Most probably his current armor and his current state (more ties to the Elf King).

asmer said:
As for Elfhelm's role, it seems that Guts current only goal is to go there for Casca to be cured. At the same time, they may try to do something about the Armor, and if there is time left, maybe get some rest!?...

He'll need to get healed himself, I think that has become the priority. That will also make it much easier to control the armor. As for time, why would they be short in time?

Aazealh said:
That doesn't mean anything, though. SK said he wore that armor a long, long time ago. And he doesn't wear it anymore, so it's something else IMHO (and nobody commented on anything emanating from Guts since he started wearing the armor). Most probably his current armor and his current state (more ties to the Elf King).
Well, of course I don't think this "elfin" aura has been stuck on him for hundredth of years. As you said, his current armor may be the cause, since, as well as the Berserk Armor, it may have been made by dwarves, or creatures of this kind.

Aazealh said:
He'll need to get healed himself, I think that has become the priority. That will also make it much easier to control the armor. As for time, why would they be short in time?
At least in Guts' point of view, Casca is the priority. Considering his past behavior, I'm not sure that his own health would be, for him, the reason he is heading for Elfhelm...
As for them being short of time, I really can't imagine everything to go smoothly in Elfhelm... Reallistically speaking, NOTHING stays well for a long time, in BERSERK!!!... :zodd:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
As you said, his current armor may be the cause, since, as well as the Berserk Armor, it may have been made by dwarves, or creatures of this kind.

Yeah, it may, uh? Well I definitely don't think it comes from wearing the Berserk's armor so long ago. And why dwarves ("spirits of the mine") in particular? Puck employed "elf" and not "yousei" to describe SK's aura, it doesn't mean much but... I wonder. Why only the armor too? It could be his state, so simply. Of course, the two are linked, but that's reducing it quite a bit to say that it has to come from the armor, since he seems to be the armor himself... His whole being is supernatural, and part of the astral world.

asmer said:
At least in Guts' point of view, Casca is the priority.

I'm not talking about Guts' "point of view", I'm talking about the real priority, the life or death priority, and it's definitely him right now. And at any rate, I don't think Guts is taking his current state lightly, even if he tells others it's alright.

asmer said:
As for them being short of time, I really can't imagine everything to go smoothly in Elfhelm... Reallistically speaking, NOTHING stays well for a long time, in BERSERK!!!...

They took a rest for a night at Flora's place, what would be the reasons you'd invoke for them not having time to rest at Elfhelm at all? Elaborate a bit please. And maybe you think curing Guts and Casca is going to be quickly done with? :schierke:

Aazealh said:
Yeah, it may, uh? Well I definitely don't think it comes from wearing the Berserk's armor so long ago. And why dwarves ("spirits of the mine") in particular? Puck employed "elf" and not "yousei" to describe SK's aura (:miura:), it doesn't mean much but... I wonder. Why only the armor too? It could be his state, so simply. Of course, the two are linked, but that's reducing it quite a bit to say that it has to come from the armor, since he seems to be the armor himself... His whole being is supernatural, and part of the astral world.
Just possibilities, nothing's for sure... Since we KNOW the Berserk Armor was made by dwarves, I myself believe that the SK's strange aura may come from his Armor, who may have been made by some kind of supernatural creatures... I don't think I said any of that was for sure?!... :-\

Aazealh said:
I'm not talking about Guts' "point of view"
Well, I was...

Aazealh said:
I'm talking about the real priority, the life or death priority, and it's definitely him right now. And at any rate, I don't think Guts is taking his current state lightly, even if he tells others it's alright.
I do think he is somehow worried about his current state, physically as well as concerning the Beast, but I'm not sure he is heading for Elfhelm for THAT reason... Just after Schierke managed to put the Berserk Armor away, Guts didn't even want to rest for a few days... He barely never cared about his health, you just need to look at the way he fights, using his own body to its limits...

Aazealh said:
They took a rest for a night at Flora's place, what would be the reasons you'd invoke for them not having time to rest at Elfhelm at all? Elaborate a bit please. And maybe you think curing Guts and Casca is going to be quickly done with? :schierke:
That's BECAUSE it will take some time for Casca, and Guts, to be healed, that I first stated that resting, after that, may not be possible!
As for elaborating on the events that MAY occur, once the group finally reaches Elfhelm... I have no idea, at all!!!... :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
Since we KNOW the Berserk Armor was made by dwarves, I myself believe that the SK's strange aura may come from his Armor, who may have been made by some kind of supernatural creatures...

You're just repeating yourself here, and repeating years old speculations. You're not even addressing what I said, so I'm not sure I see the point in replying at all. What you're saying is lacking logic too, since the Berserk's armor isn't known to give its wearer any kind of "aura". Also, what relation with the part of my post you highlighted?

asmer said:
Well, I was...

Doesn't change what I said, now does it?

asmer said:
I do think he is somehow worried about his current state, physically as well as concerning the Beast, but I'm not sure he is heading for Elfhelm for THAT reason...

He didn't decide to travel to Elfhelm in volume 22 because of the Berserk's armor, no, I didn't think that needed to be confirmed... You're again just repeating what you already stated. And there doesn't necessarily needs to be one only reason to go to Elfhelm either, unlike what you previously said. Things evolve as events occur.

asmer said:
That's BECAUSE it will take some time for Casca, and Guts, to be healed

And isn't that considered as resting? I think it is...

asmer said:
As for elaborating on the events that MAY occur, once the group finally reaches Elfhelm... I have no idea, at all!!!...

If nothing happens, why would they be short in time?

Aazealh said:
You're not even addressing what I said
Well, I felt like I did... :-\

Aazealh said:
What you're saying is also lacking logic, since the Berserk's armor isn't known to give it's wearer any kind of "aura".
You are talking as if we know a lot of things about the Armor. It's not because we haven't been explicitely told something, that it may not be possible... Otherwise, where is the Speculation?

Aazealh said:
Also, what relation with the part of my post you highlighted?
I just found it funny that yesterday, YOU said... the opposite...

Aazealh said:
And there doesn't necessarily needs to be one only reason to go to Elfhelm either, unlike what you previously said.
Of course not, but if I had to highlight ONE, for me it would be helping Casca regain her senses...

Aazealh said:
And isn't that considered as resting? I think it is...
Well, as far as I'm concerned, I am not sure that when, and if ever, Casca gets healed, realizing everything she has been through in the past years is really gonna be considered as resting for her...
As for Guts, if you look at the first time Schierke put the Armor off of him, and at his reaction, whatever happens concerning the Berserk Armor may be painful as Hell for him! And if "something" happens right after that, it may cause trouble...

Aazealh said:
If nothing happens, why would they be short in time?
Who said nothing will happen?! Of course something will!!! What I meant is more that it's already pretty hard to tell what is gonna happen in the very next episode, why would I try and guess what will happen in who knows how many Volumes?!... :isidro: But I really can't see everybody calmly resting, after Guts and Casca have been smoothly healed, for one year... That just doesn't sound like what usually happens, in BERSERK!

It wasn't just after schierke took the armor, Guts had that violent reaction multiple times, over several days. And who says they'll be resting for even a month, or a week?

For all I know, Guts and Casca will have another child (assuming she gets healed... :casca:), and 14 years down the road Guts will be like "oh I forgot, I was on this crusade, hmmm, maybe I should get back to it?". :guts:

yota821 said:
It wasn't just after schierke took the armor, Guts had that violent reaction multiple times, over several days.

OK! It seems to imply that having the effects of the Armor diminished is not gonna be painless, for Guts... :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
You are talking as if we know a lot of things about the Armor. It's not because we haven't been explicitely told something, that it may not be possible...

No, I'm not saying we know a lot of things about the armor, just that your reasoning isn't based on anything concrete. And don't forget that you're currently agreeing with what I said 3 posts ago.

asmer said:
I just found it funny that yesterday, YOU said... the opposite...

Oh, really? Where?

asmer said:
Well, as far as I'm concerned, I am not sure that when, and if ever, Casca gets healed, realizing everything she has been through in the past years is really gonna be considered as resting for her...

We'll see about that, however that would be more of an introspection within herself and a decision to take about her future choices than plain rest. It's the others that need rest, she on the contrary would be awakened to the world after years of oblivion. At least that's how I see it.

asmer said:
As for Guts, if you look at the first time Schierke put the Armor off of him, and at his reaction, whatever happens concerning the Berserk Armor may be painful as Hell for him!

You don't seem to be understanding what happened when they (because it wasn't just Schierke) took the armor off him. All of his body had been transpierced by the armor, and he was in a really bad state (broken bones, etc). So his wounds kept reopening for days and days. Now he's going better, and not straining himself too much. We've seen him resting in bed or eating without his armor since then, the simple fact of removing it doesn't mean for him to start bleeding all over... So as long as he doesn't get wounded on the way, removing the armor in Elfhelm isn't going to pose any problem.

asmer said:
Who said nothing will happen?! Of course something will!

"Of course"? What do you think will happen then? You seem to be pretty sure about it. :guts:

asmer said:
why would I try and guess what will happen in who knows how many Volumes?!...

To justify what you're saying? Or at least complete it to give people a general picture of what you're guessing things will be like?

asmer said:
I really can't see everybody calmly resting, after Guts and Casca have been smoothly healed, for one year... That just doesn't sound like what usually happens, in BERSERK!

Who's talking about years? Anyway, it's risky to judge future events from "what usually happens in Berserk", now it's your choice. Casca did stay in Godot's mine for two years though, and nothing happened until she escaped.

Aazealh said:
your reasoning isn't based on anything concrete
Isn't THAT speculation?!... :-\

Aazealh said:
Oh, really? Where?
:schierke:

Aazealh said:
So as long as he doesn't get wounded on the way, removing the armor in Elfhelm isn't going to pose any problem.
Well, removing it may not be the problem, but having its effects softened, so that Guts can control its inner Beast, while fighting with the Berserk Armor on... THAT, I believe is gonna be a painful experiment, for him!
As for him not getting wounded from now, until they reach Elfhelm, if that means travelling there without any kind of fight, it doesn't sound very realistic to me...

Aazealh said:
"Of course"? What do you think will happen then? You seem to be pretty sure about it. :guts:
Well, as I already said, I really can't say what may happen... Maybe they'll meet the Kushans, Griffith's Army, an enemy yet to be revealed, whatever it is, I can't see the trip to Elfhelm being too quiet...

Aazealh said:
Who's talking about years? Anyway, it's risky to judge future events from "what usually happens in Berserk", now it's your choice. Casca did stay in Godot's mine for two years though, and nothing happened until she escaped.
Well, at that time Casca was in Godot's mine, the story was focusing on Guts, right? And Griffith hadn't even been reborn, yet, the world was less dangerous for Casca, who was protected inside the mine... Yes, she stayed quietly 2 years there, but I think it wasn't really the same situation as now, where she is travelling WITH Guts, and that in other words, we didn't really care about what Casca was doing,... because it wasn't really interesting... :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
Isn't THAT speculation?!... :-\

Speculating is expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence, but if you really use dubious relations to build a theory, it's not going to be very credible, I think you'll agree with me here.

asmer said:

Yeah, you'd better check twice before saying something next time.

asmer said:
Well, removing it may not be the problem, but having its effects softened, so that Guts can control its inner Beast, while fighting with the Berserk Armor on... THAT, I believe is gonna be a painful experiment, for him!

What are you talking about? Twisting what you previously said to make it look like you aren't wrong? Again, you don't seem to understand how it works. Guts currently has problems controlling the armor, and they mostly come from the astral wound Slan dealt him in the Qliphoth (it's always what triggers it). Once in Elfhelm, if he can be healed, it will become less of a problem.

I don't think the effects of the armor can be "softened", from what SK told Guts, at least not in the way you seem to imply, it's just that he shouldn't wear it too much. Flora's talisman protects Guts' ego from being dissolved, but if he was cut from the armor's Od, he wouldn't benefit from its power at all, like I told you before in another thread. They'll have to find a way to slow down the side effects if possible, but as far as the main power of the armor goes, I don't see the advantage in doing it (assuming they could). Guts could as well just wear another normal armor. And why would it be so painful for him to fight in the Berserk's armor after being healed, while he already fought in a really bad condition? I mean, I don't think it'll get as bad as it got recently everyday in the future...

And we weren't talk about fighting "experiments" originally, but resting and being healed in Elfhelm... So what's your point really? If it's just that "things will happen" and that the story won't end in Elfhelm, you don't even have to say it. :void:

asmer said:
As for him not getting wounded from now, until they reach Elfhelm, if that means travelling there without any kind of fight, it doesn't sound very realistic to me...

Fighting doesn't mean getting damaged, I'm sure you can understand that. That's an unknown factor, anyway.

asmer said:
I can't see the trip to Elfhelm being too quiet...

We weren't talking about the trip though, but about what would happen once they'd be there. :SK:

asmer said:
Yes, she stayed quietly 2 years there, but I think it wasn't really the same situation as now, where she is travelling WITH Guts, and that in other words, we didn't really care about what Casca was doing,... because it wasn't really interesting...

I'm not sure that's really a valid justification of what you were saying about "things that usually happen". I'm a bit tired of this argument anyway, so I'd prefer to end it quickly now.

Aazealh said:
Speculating is expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence, but if you really use dubious relations to build a theory, it's not going to be very credible, I think you'll agree with me here.
Well... I guess I must agree! :-\

Aazealh said:
I'm not sure that's really a valid justification of what you were saying about "things that usually happen". I'm a bit tired of this argument anyway, so I'd prefer to end it quickly now.
Once again, I've got to admit I didn't very well understand the implications of the Armor's effects... Neither did I see the Beast was connected in this way to the wound Slann gave Guts... Well.. I guess I'm gonna re-read the latest Volumes, then! Guess I'll thank you for these informations! :carcus:

Top Bottom