Without Gennon screwing it up...

R

-rob-

In volume 7 / volume 8, at the battle of Doldrey.. Griffith used Gennons umm... "Love for him"... As part of the strategy to capture the castle.

Now I'm just wondering, IF it wasn't for Gennon, how do you think it would have been possible for the Hawks to take Doldrey? Especially with it being said Boscogne was good with tactics himself.

Any opinions?

R

-rob-

Opie said:
I think Zodd would have had to step in even more than he did had Bascone not been killed off.

Yeah that is true I forgot all about him being up there watching the battle. :zodd:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Opie said:
I think Zodd would have had to step in even more than he did had Bascone not been killed off.

I don't think he would have taken part in the battle more than he did, but yeah, there's always that possibility (he did slay Wyald after all). Anyway, Griffith had planned Gennon would react like he did, and it worked. Speculating on alternative outcomes won't take us very far, so many things could have changed the whole story...

What if Zodd hadn't seen Griffith's beherit when they first met? He'd have killed him and Guts both. When Guts jumped after Casca from the cliff, what if they had died in the fall? So convenient for a river to be there. What if Julius' assassin had shot Griffith in the head, or in a limb (since it was poisoned) during the hunt? I could go on and on. Like Walter said, it's just causality that made it so.

Aazealh said:
What if Zodd hadn't seen Griffith's beherit when they first met? He'd have killed him and Guts both.

That what struck me also... My friend told me this when he watch the anime for the first time... What if Zodd begin to deal with Guts instead of Griffith first? Den the story of berserk will end in volume 5

Smith said:
That what struck me also... My friend told me this when he watch the anime for the first time... What if Zodd begin to deal with Guts instead of Griffith first? Den the story of berserk will end in volume 5

actually, it'd be 2 volumes long.

Opie

The Sex Icon
Aazealh said:
I don't think he would have taken part in the battle more than he did, but yeah, there's always that possibility (he did slay Wyald after all). Anyway, Griffith had planned Gennon would react like he did, and it worked. Speculating on alternative outcomes won't take us very far, so many things could have changed the whole story...

What if Zodd hadn't seen Griffith's beherit when they first met? He'd have killed him and Guts both. When Guts jumped after Casca from the cliff, what if they had died in the fall? So convenient for a river to be there. What if Julius' assassin had shot Griffith in the head, or in a limb (since it was poisoned) during the hunt? I could go on and on. Like Walter said, it's just causality that made it so.

Yeah maybe, but I don't think it was Causalitys plan for Guts to snap his sword in two during the fight. I'm thinking Zodd was the back up plan in case things got out of hand.

BiQ_

" ... "
Even if it's kinda useless to speculate about it, I personally think that Griffith knew (and placed all his bets on) that Gennon was the governor of Doldrey. Had this not been the case, I'm not really sure if Griffith would have took that mission. He simply saw an opportunity to actually win the "impossible" battle to get fame.

BiQ-- said:
Even if it's kinda useless to speculate about it, I personally think that Griffith knew (and placed all his bets on) that Gennon was the governor of Doldrey.

We know that for sure, since we even see Casca telling Guts about it, if I remember correctly! She told him the story of Griffith and Gennon's "weird" relationship, when they were hiding in the cave, and when the battle for Doldrey was announced, she told him that the Governor in charge of the place actually was Gennon!

As for Griffith, he can't have been sure of Gennon's reaction, but he probably relied on his usual luck & strategic skills...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Opie said:
Yeah maybe, but I don't think it was Causalitys plan for Guts to snap his sword in two during the fight.

Well, that's actually hard to say, we're just guessing stuff here. On matters like this where almost everything is possible I'm inclined to just say "whatever". It happened like that because it was supposed to happen like that. And I also don't think that Causality really works with just "plans" and "backup plans", that would be oversimplifying it.

BiQ-- said:
Even if it's kinda useless to speculate about it, I personally think that Griffith knew (and placed all his bets on) that Gennon was the governor of Doldrey.

Of course he knew, like asmer said, that's not speculation. Again, yes it could be argued that it was part luck for Gennon to react exactly like Griffith thought he would, but maybe he just knew him enough and read into him easily. That's why I don't think we'll go very far with the "what if" kind of speculation.

I believe everything before the eclipse went just the way Causality wanted it to. Also there are always "what ifs", but the thing is it went the way it did, and "if" It didn't I doubt we would be here discussing it because Berserk wouldn't be the same.. but I guess that is what Speculation is all about the "what ifs" :serpico:

Top Bottom