Will the story jump into the future again?

OK this question has been on my mind unconsciously for a fair while, if there's already been a thread about it then my apologies.

So in the first few volumes we have him as the Blackswordsman of course before it goes back 20 or so years to when he was born then slowly moves from there. When it finally catches up we can only assume a year or so has passed since the Snake baron when Guts moves onto fighting Roshinu.

Now that was around volume 14, since then after roughly two decades of movement. Since that time however up until volume 30, with all that has happened not much time has moved at all. Personally my assumption would be six months or so.
It's not like I have a problem with this at all or anything but I'm to the possibility of the story jumping into the future again before the epic story finishes.

Will we get to see Isidro and Schierke as adults or at least closer to it? Will we see characters die of old age while Guts manages to escape the physical effects of time by becoming more than human? Maybe not as it seems to be a firm belief that Guts will never become more than human. 
Will Guts's crew die before the end of the series thus an excuse for Miura to jump several years into the future to see Guts's new physical an emotional changes, or will the story move like it has for almost 60% of the Manga so far?

Personally I believe it will jump a few years into the future by the end of the series, not that it looks like it's going to happen any time soon but the story is far from finished so I won't rule out the possibility. I don't think that it will be any more than a decade or so but who really knows.

Anyway, your opinions?

Kart

Resident /b/tard
That's some neat thinkin' there Sparnage.

I would love to see Schierke and Isidro older, but my only fear is that Isidro, rather than becoming a better swordsmen will become some type of trickster. But thats only because sense we first saw him he has struggled to become a swordsmen.

I...Don't think Guts will stay human, can we really consider him human now? I think its easier to be certain he wont be an apostle, but i dont think we can assume he wont become some other dezon.

I personnally don't think the story will make a big jump in time, at least in the Future (on the contrary, I hope one day we'll be able to see what happened, 1000 years ago!)... I don't think neither that we'll see all the characters growing up, and becoming old, or with children, some basic "Happy Ending"...

For me there will be an "open" end, leaving some place to each one's own imagination! If Guts is able to "kill" Griffith, I think the End of the manga will be soon after that!

But, maybe, a few years after the end of the publication of the manga, they could make a special OVA, taking place a few years after the end... Like they did for Rurouni Kenshin! That'd be nice! :guts:

Kart said:
I...Don't think Guts will stay human, can we really consider him human now? I think its easier to be certain he wont be an apostle, but i dont think we can assume he wont become some other dezon.

I think he will stay human... For some Volumes already, one of the main point in the manga is Guts fighting to retain his Humanity, and not letting the Beast take control over him! With the help of Schierke, and probably other characters still unknown (Hanafubuku King?), I hope he will one day even be able to "control" the Beast.

hmm Sparnage i am quite sure there have been a topic on this... I remember posting it before but got disagree by someone

I once mentioned that perhap the story will jump a few years, just a few years... And the most likely event it will do so is when they reached Elfhelm. Its not like Guts wound will take days to recover. I believe once they reach there, they may actually take a few years rest, or perhap Guts even decide to spent the rest of his lives there with Caska. however a few years later when Griffith finally ascend the throne, he may decide it is time to launch an attack to Elfhelm, this is the time when Guts will have a showdown again...

Smith said:
a few years later when Griffith finally ascend the throne, he may decide it is time to launch an attack to Elfhelm, this is the time when Guts will have a showdown again...

Well, that's assuming that it will take years for Griffith to become "King", and as far as I'm concerned, I think now it may be faster than that! It all depends on how strong a threat Ganishka really is, but I feel that against Griffith, he is soon gonna realize that he may lack the necessary strength to challenge a God Hand member... :isidro:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's a definite possibility. It's not especially probable or improbable, but I have no problem imagining it.

Sparnage said:
Guts manages to escape the physical effects of time by becoming more than human? Maybe not as it seems to be a firm belief that Guts will never become more than human.

It depends what you consider to be human. Was Flora human? Is Schierke human? They all reside in the interstice, and the people travelling with them are affected too. I don't think Guts will lose his humanity, but I do think he'll live longer than a normal person, and so will Casca, Schierke, and other characters involved in astral matters.

Kart said:
I would love to see Schierke and Isidro older, but my only fear is that Isidro, rather than becoming a better swordsmen will become some type of trickster.

I'd like that too, and I don't think you should worry about Isidro. He'll become a great character, like the others. :guts:

Kart said:
I...Don't think Guts will stay human, can we really consider him human now?

That's what I saying. I consider Guts to be human right now, but he's already in the case were astral influences should affect his aging process. And Guts always had a strength and a will that went beyond those of normal men and women. As long as he doesn't sport a pair of tentacles and a giant eye on his torso, I'll call him human.

asmer said:
I don't think neither that we'll see all the characters growing up, and becoming old, or with children, some basic "Happy Ending"...

Be it subtle or not, we'll see the characters aging no matter what, IMHO.

asmer said:
But, maybe, a few years after the end of the publication of the manga, they could make a special OVA, taking place a few years after the end... Like they did for Rurouni Kenshin! That'd be nice!

Ugh, I think I'll pass.

Kart

Resident /b/tard
He may not have the armor of berserk for the entire story. Looking at the effects it has on him I think he may have two or three serious battles before he has to make the choice. The beast is taking over, but the beast, is perhaps my second favorite character, so I would love to see more of him.

Rereading the manga, if anyone remembers eclipse gutts, he didnt look quite human in many panals.
But if we decide to define humanity just by outter appereace, i think that there is a very good chance he will remain "human" for the entire series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kart said:
Looking at the effects it has on him I think he may have two or three serious battles before he has to make the choice.

When and if they get to Elfhelm, things will change. Don't forget that the wound Slan inflicted him plays a big role in the trouble he has controlling himself while wearing the armor. The effects on his senses most probably won't stop though, so he'll have to make a choice or find a compromise (and I think it's indeed possible that he won't be using the Berserk's armor forever). Anyway, I don't expect him to be able to go through a serious fight again before they reach Elfhelm without consequences.

Kart said:
But if we decide to define humanity just by outter appereace, i think that there is a very good chance he will remain "human" for the entire series.

Well, regarding your previous comment, we didn't see anything other than his outer appearance in the Occultation...

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
I've thought about the time leap possibility on prior occasions. Within the context of the Pikraf fable, it would be interesting to see Guts and his 'family' spend a few weeks in Elfhelm only to return to a world where Griffith has been king for nearly a hundred years.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Trashcan said:
Within the context of the Pikraf fable

That context doesn't mean much though, since it's supposedly just a child's tale. Besides, we learn that the story's a bit twisted in the end. Anyway...

Trashcan said:
it would be interesting to see Guts and his 'family' spend a few weeks in Elfhelm only to return to a world where Griffith has been king for nearly a hundred years.

Yeah, but that would also mean that a lot of secondary characters would be dead. Now Miura could relate their lives with flashbacks, depicting how Griffith evolved into a tyrant. Still not my favorite outcome for Elfhelm. :beast:

Kart

Resident /b/tard
What is your favorite? you'll have to forgive me, I've been gone for quite awhile.

That's a neat theory though, I think 100 years would be extreme, I could see 10-30years though.

Top Bottom