Do you think one more episode would've worked for the anime?

From what I hear, where the anime leaves off SKull Knight comes in and saves the day. Do you think the show would've been better off if they made one more episode ending like that. It seems wierd that they chose to make it a 25 eps series instead of a normal 26 when they end it short like that. I honestly think one more episode ending where it was most appropiate a little bit more into the manga would've been so much better.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
MasterZaffro said:
From what I hear, where the anime leaves off SKull Knight comes in and saves the day. Do you think the show would've been better off if they made one more episode ending like that.

Yeah, Skull Knight appears at that moment. However, they'd need to introduce him beforehand (like in the manga) in order for his intervention to make sense. So many things were omitted from the anime... And I think that the abrupt end was exactly what they wanted.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
MasterZaffro said:
Do you think they ended it like that so would feel a lack of conclusion so they would read the manga?

Yeah, that's a part of it IMO, even if not the only reason. And I think we can say it worked pretty well.

Well, thats how I've gotten into the manga and such, from watching the anime.... but I only have volume 1 right now, of course I am going to buy the rest the of them as well.

Yea, because of it ending like that I desperately want to read the manga. I'm in love with this series. I haven't read any of the manga yet but the storyline sounds so intriguing. I think the story is more interesting than Tolkienns, maybe not as well written but a more interesting story.

Yea, just from Volume 1 I can tell it is great, and that they left ALOT out of the anime, I'm actually liking the manga a bit more I think. Also is darker, I remember in the anime when the "minister" speaks with the snake baron while he is eating it just your regular meal...steak..carrots.. but in the manga it seems he is eating human flesh, he even flicks a human ear off his fork at the minister. The battle with him was different too and in my opinion much better, so ya I'm liking it alot.

Triggormortis

Weakness is a disease; I am the cure.
I've got a feeling that they left it like that because they wanted to create enough suspense to raise money for another season. I hear it's the reason they didn't make another season. (But we all knew that.)
So it's pretty futile to ask for a 2nd season as many posts have.

Kart

Resident /b/tard
I do not believe they had intentions to do another season, specifically because they left Puck and SK out. berserk would not be berserk without puck and SK, they're both key characters.

R

-rob-

Zelz said:
Yea, just from Volume 1 I can tell it is great, and that they left ALOT out of the anime, I'm actually liking the manga a bit more I think. Also is darker, I remember in the anime when the "minister" speaks with the snake baron while he is eating it just your regular meal...steak..carrots.. but in the manga it seems he is eating human flesh, he even flicks a human ear off his fork at the minister. The battle with him was different too and in my opinion much better, so ya I'm liking it alot.

Anime fucked up a lotta things... Especially Boscogne vs Guts. You get that far yet in the Manga? It is done so much better in the Manga, it makes you not even wanna watch the Anime anymore.

Kart

Resident /b/tard
didnt you only find out about the manga because OF the anime? I think the anime does what it does quite well, which is make people find out about the manga.

GoHF

I'm a llama!
Well, even if you take out the "makes you want manga" side, I still think the anime ended perfectly. Closure can ruin a series. Berserk was much better off with the punch to the throat ending than with a "in the end, good always triumphs over evil", etc.. It is, after all, an adult anime, not an episode of teletubbies. Berserk was about making you feel the series, and quite frankly, happy endings make me numb. If they ever animate anything else Berserk, let it have an even "worse" ending (like Guts turning into a Gambino and blaming the death of Caska on Isidro :p).

CnC

Ad Oculos
In order to deal with the omissions of the anime, what I would do is cut from the eclipse to the campfire right after Guts left Griffith, and introduce SK, then just work the rest in back to the eclipse.

But thats just me

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zelz said:
in the manga it seems he is eating human flesh, he even flicks a human ear off his fork at the minister.

Yeah, he eats the kids, that's why they're being brought to him.

Triggormortis said:
I've got a feeling that they left it like that because they wanted to create enough suspense to raise money for another season. I hear it's the reason they didn't make another season. (But we all knew that.)

No, like Kart said, no second season was planned in the first place. It was originally thought as a one shot. The Berserk anime actually did very well, it was quite a success given the time it aired at and the profits were good.

GoHF said:
Closure can ruin a series. Berserk was much better off with the punch to the throat ending than with a "in the end, good always triumphs over evil", etc.. It is, after all, an adult anime, not an episode of teletubbies.

I don't think a "happy" ending over a "horrible" ending means much as far as quality goes, really. That's just generalizing using stereotypes. To see Skull Knight getting Guts and Casca out of the Occultation wouldn't change the ending's "atmosphere" much, it'd just make things a lot more complicated for the viewer, less mysterious but probably as confusing. There would be less "shock value" too, I guess, and that's why I think the actual ending is the best they could manage with the intentions they had. I do agree that closure can ruin a series though, and what comes to mind is the way some people have to change the story to create an early and alternate ending in some anime series. In that regard, I'm glad that Berserk had the ending it had, a lot of things were omitted, simplified or modified, but at least the story wasn't totally different.

CnC said:
In order to deal with the omissions of the anime, what I would do is cut from the eclipse to the campfire right after Guts left Griffith, and introduce SK, then just work the rest in back to the eclipse.

Yes, that would work, but a lot of things would still be missing. This discussion is more at its place in the second season threads anyway.

Kart said:
didnt you only find out about the manga because OF the anime? I think the anime does what it does quite well, which is make people find out about the manga.

Actually, I discovered Berserk through the video game. :guts:

When I got to the Zodd episode I thought "Sweet! Guts is gonna fight that one-horned demon boss!" Zodd had two horns, though, so then I thought "Oh, maybe Guts chops one off! [clang] Maybe not..." XD

I know the anime is what got me interested in Berserk. I had played the dreamcast game before watching the anime, and completely forgotten about Berserk. Then I watch the anime all the way through, and had such the wtf moment at the end. I had to find out what happened after the eclipse. That's when I got into the manga. So tie this reply in more to the topic, if the anime had shown how Guts had escaped I probably would never have gotten in the manga. O.k. ok. ok. that is a lie, but it would of took me longer to get into the manga.

I think it would have been effective to make one more episode in which we flash back to the Black Swordsman arc and it shows a compressed version of Guts fighting the Count. This will bring things full circle and give much more sense to the brand and Godhand for those that haven't read the manga. If this is too long then base an episode on the part where Guts meets the old man with his daughter and then later on undeads pop out and Guts is forced to kill the then undead daughter.

Leaving out Puck though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
EUIX said:
If this is too long then base an episode on the part where Guts meets the old man with his daughter and then later on undeads pop out and Guts is forced to kill the then undead daughter.

We see Colette in episode one of the anime already though, she replaces Puck as the one being harassed by the Snake Baron's men (and the monk is there too).

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
We see Colette in episode one of the anime already though, she replaces Puck as the one being harassed by the Snake Baron's men (and the monk is there too).

despite the mediocre drawing, that was one damn good scene.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Kart said:
worked for me! i bought the dvds first and when i realised that it was from a manga and that it was released in english i jumped on the net and order the first 3 volumes (cause they were at vol 3 in that time in english)

Top Bottom