Griffith and Alexander the Great

Some days ago i read somethings about Alexander the Great.
And after it, it seemed like Griffith's and Alexander's story were similiar.

1- Brilliant and young tactician
2- His men loved him and would follow him anywhere
3- He died after his love died of tifu's (dont know if i wrote it right..)

So let us see..
Griffith was brilliant, decided the 100 year war, his men loved him.
And Guts.. lol
If we think about it, when Guts left the Hawks it was like he had "died" for Griffith, he didnt own Guts anymore. So he made a mistake that costed him is dream (trying to hump Charlotte).
When Hephastion died Alexander was heart-broken like Griffith and died (fever).

Appart the behelit thing, they have some similiar things in their stories..

What do you guys think?

fuxberg said:
Some days ago i read somethings about Alexander the Great.
And after it, it seemed like Griffith's and Alexander's story were similiar.

1- Brilliant and young tactician
2- His men loved him and would follow him anywhere
3- He died after his love died of tifu's (dont know if i wrote it right..)

So let us see..
Griffith was brilliant, decided the 100 year war, his men loved him.
And Guts.. lol
If we think about it, when Guts left the Hawks it was like he had "died" for Griffith, he didnt own Guts anymore. So he made a mistake that costed him is dream (trying to hump Charlotte).
When Hephastion died Alexander was heart-broken like Griffith and died (fever).

Appart the behelit thing, they have some similiar things in their stories..

What do you guys think?

About the #3 I am not sure if this is something accepted by historicians.
Legend says though that Alexander's closesest friend saved him in battle but Alexander later killed him because he denied to worship Alexander as a God.

CnC

Ad Oculos
xechnao said:
About the #3 I am not sure if this is something accepted by historicians.
Legend says though that Alexander's closesest friend saved him in battle but Alexander later killed him because he denied to worship Alexander as a God.

Yea, pretty sure thats bullshit too.
Alexander and Griffith might share the brilliant tactician thing in common, not to mention the conflict between Griffith and Ganishka could be loosly associated with the conquest of Persia by Alexander. However, thats pretty much where the simularities end.
However, I can easily see Miura basing Griffith's military aspects on the great conquerers of history.

Opie

The Sex Icon
I think Walter made a thread about all the similarities between Alexander and Griffith along time ago. It was either that or Napoleon...or both.

Well, he could be compared to a lot of things when the subject is very board like this, of course he is similar to other great people, but just one specific person is unlikely.

but the Guts leaving the Hawks = Hephastion's death theory is quite interesting and similar (i think..). Hephastion's death was the cause that made Alexander commit suicide (poison and fever), cuz Hephastion was is lover and the Guts and Griffith relationship was more than friendship more or less brotherly love.. Griffith loved him and he was the one he wanted to be with him untill the end..
Guts departure just broke his heart and made him hasten his plans :griff:

what do u guys think?

Well, it is similar in many ways and different in many ways, what happened to his lover just happened it wasn't a decision made like Guts leaving the hawks and Griffith didn't kill himself but It is similar in that a loss to someone close to him caused him to do it. Also I don't think what Griffith did cost him his dream I think it actually HELPED it in my opinion, because his dream was to have his own kingdom and such, and because of what happened he is even more than a just a king and even closer to his dream than ever before, unlike Alexander which led to his demise.

CnC

Ad Oculos
fuxberg said:
but the Guts leaving the Hawks = Hephastion's death theory is quite interesting and similar (i think..). Hephastion's death was the cause that made Alexander commit suicide (poison and fever), cuz Hephastion was is lover and the Guts and Griffith relationship was more than friendship more or less brotherly love.. Griffith loved him and he was the one he wanted to be with him untill the end..
Guts departure just broke his heart and made him hasten his plans :griff:

what do u guys think?

Alexander's death is often disputed, as is his relationship with hephastion (whether they were just close friends or were they lovers). However, its pretty widely accepted he didn't commit suicide, as he was taken ill after a banquet by Medius of Larissa. The dispute is over whether or not alexander was poisoned. Those who say he was state it was Cassander from Greece that did the poisoning with the help of the royal cupbearer (sound familiar?). Those that say he wasn't poisoned say that no poison that could have had the symptoms of his illness was available in the area or time period.

I do think there are some similarities between them.Ive studyed alexander alot and do believe he died of a broken heart...i dont really believe he suicided but i think he gave up.I know there is conflict with this idea but the relationship he and hephastian shared seemed deeper than just comrades in battle(it was quite normal in those times for men to be lovers).I found many similarities also betweeen the battle at doldery and the battle at Gaugamela.The difference in numbers for example. I could rant about the similarities for ages but sadly we will never really know for sure the true history of alexander as most the documents regarding his life were destroyed in the fire at alexandria.On the surface of what we do know i think there are indeed similarities to griffith but yeh....there is alot not similar too  :guts:

N

Ng51386

There's one major flaw in all of this, Griffith betrayed all his allies in the end.... Guts might had left him, and that was his "death" but still, Griffith still had the love of his men, and the ones most loyal to him, he betrayed by offering them as sacrifices.

They are both great tacticians, as are some of the greatest conquerors in history. Alexander might had had the love of the army, but he was not the great last hope of his country, not like how Griffith was and is. Griffith is the greatest hope that Midland has left, and is loved by EVERYONE!!! Guts even had a brotherly love towards Griffith.

Miura brings Griffith to the next level, he doesnt just let him have the love of his men, but he gives Griffith the love of all, and the deepest fear to his enemies. No general in history was like Griffith, a general who fought side by side his men, and won every single battle, Griffith is on a different level of existence when it comes to generals, no one can even come close to him.

Of course there are similairities here and there, but when you're saying that they're so similiar like they're two peas in a pod, that's when you've gone wrong.

Ng51386 said:
There's one major flaw in all of this, Griffith betrayed all his allies in the end.... Guts might had left him, and that was his "death" but still, Griffith still had the love of his men, and the ones most loyal to him, he betrayed by offering them as sacrifices.

They are both great tacticians, as are some of the greatest conquerors in history. Alexander might had had the love of the army, but he was not the great last hope of his country, not like how Griffith was and is. Griffith is the greatest hope that Midland has left, and is loved by EVERYONE!!! Guts even had a brotherly love towards Griffith.

Miura brings Griffith to the next level, he doesnt just let him have the love of his men, but he gives Griffith the love of all, and the deepest fear to his enemies. No general in history was like Griffith, a general who fought side by side his men, and won every single battle, Griffith is on a different level of existence when it comes to generals, no one can even come close to him.

Of course there are similairities here and there, but when you're saying that they're so similiar like they're two peas in a pod, that's when you've gone wrong.

Yeh i agree there are some similarities with him and alexander, but as you said there isnt anyone in history that comes close to griffith. :miura:

Yeah I made a thread about this a while back;

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=2816.0
And I think it has been done before then as well (but I didn't know)

It's not uncommon for Miura to get his inspiration for Berserk roughly based on many different parts of history; whether events, weapons, ethnic races or even individual people before articulating it into his own creations.
I think Griffith has elements of Alexander The Great into his own personality and history, they could be a coincidence but unlikley.

In my opinion Miura has likely based Griffith among other characters from bits and pieces of several people, Alexander being one of them which is why there are similarities even if Griffiths story is still very different.

Wow Sparnage, I feel sorry for you that you had to go through all that rigamarole on the other thread..... Ugh.

I'm sure that Alexander the Great isn't considered Great because he's handsome, you just brought it up as one more thing that Griffith and the "legendary/historical" figure of Alexander the Great have in common (amongst a number of other points)..... That thread would have pissed the hell out of me.

Anyways, yeah, I can see the similarities, and can see how Miura might have used Alexander as a partial influence. I've often thought the same thing, though, regarding Napolean and Charlamagne (spelling?). I don't know as much about Charlamagne though. Napolean I can see a certain amount of similarity though.

N

Ng51386

If you really want to go into it, anyone can be similiar to anyone. Pippin could had been inspired by a Japanese sumo wrestler that Miura saw or something. In the end though no matter where he originated the characters he brought them to another level of existence through his storytelling, developing the characters to what they are now.

There is no one in history who can match up to Griffith... He had and has it all, the grace and beauty that attracts women, and some men, to him, the militairy genious of the greatest generals ever, the ability to fight equal to many, if not all men who he fights, an ambition like no other.

Alexander the Great started with many things, in fact he was royalty when he was born. He was meant to take the throne from father... Well sorta, but he was in line to be an heir, but anyways, Griffith was born with nothing, and still attained everything. (Reminds you of how Bill Gates started from his mom's garage and well... you know how he is now).

Whether or not Miura did derive Griffith from Alexander the Great is quite debatable, but nonetheless they are very different because of Miura wanting Griffith to be so vastly different. More than anything, Miura derived Griffith from more than just Alexander, I'm sure he took into consideration the Greek mythologies and other cultures that he knew to try and make this characters.

But look at Griffith... You cannot say he has an equal in anyone with what he has done. There is no general or commander who did what he did to his men. There is no one commander who was so loved and trusted by his men, but in the end backstab them all just to attain his ambition.

I do agree that both Griffith and Alexander were similar in the aspect that they were both young, charismatic, and leaders. However, I think it ends there. I also doubt that Griffith was based on Alexander.

kimedog

mmmmmm BEER!
Hmmm I thought Alexander died from a wound he received during a siege. Not that he bled to death or anything but that the wound got infected and he died like a week later.

Top Bottom