Episode 265

@Aazealh: Arrgh....you stole my idea :miura: Just kidding...but Miura should consider the idea for Berserk. A classic Bollywood movie is on my mind where Guts and Griffith are singing most of the time....about loving and hating each other and stuff... :???:

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
Aazealh said:
Yeah, and there's more to them than just looking scary indeed, right? How does it imply that fear doesn't play a role? It doesn't. So in short this discussion is pointless.

*shrugs* I thorught it sounded rather like you underestimated the fear they instill in their opponents...

Well they don't seem to have trouble throwing their spears, so I don't see why you're saying that. They throw them with strength and accuracy, what else do you need?

Better accuraty? :p. But alright, with that kind of force, hitting an arm, leg or torso wouldn't really matter...

That's not answering my question, not in a satisfying way at least. And there's a reason as to why they don't try to fight back: because they'd die.

And if they don't fight back they still mostly die anyway ::). Yeah, I know, it's like Luca says at one point: Cowards survive more often than those who are no cowards. Still, that may not matter much against the familiars. and standing paraplysed by fear is even worse than not trying at all (or running away, if you prefer).

So you used an example proving your statement wrong. Even if they have the courage to try, they fail. What else to say?

That it is in many cases better to try? ^_-. Especially if there's no way out. And as I said, it isn't totally impossible to win against the familiars or the Daka, so their situation isn't completety hopeless...

Yeah, a large enough group. And what's the point again? That 50 soldiers against 1 familiar could kill it? Very pertinent.

Nah, 5 might be enough to deal with a familiar, I think. But as the soldiers of Vritannis are now for the first (and perhaps last) time facing Daka, I don't thinkt they've deleoped any recommendable tactics/strategies against Daka or familiars...

And it's not the case here, familiars are in large enough numbers to deal with
Vritannis' guards without any problem, whether they fight back or not. If it was
just a single familiar against all the guards, do you think they'd run away? Your
point really seems dubious to me because it's honestly rather obvious that familiars and Daka are more powerful troops than the average soldier.

Perhaps, but OTOH, I don't believe we've seen much of defense from the side of the "average" soldier, it's just been lots of fear and chaos, IMHO ^_-. Tha'ts one reaosn of why I'm looking forward to future episodes; the fight further in on land, the coming of the old man, etc...

On a side note, didn't Serpico mention that one of the smaller countires had experience in fightning the kushans? If so I wonder if that means that they've encountered their familiars and Daka before...

Great way to turn the point upside down. Their strength makes them scary, so being scary is half their strength.

That too :)...

What, you didn't read what I wrote? They need to be heavily wounded or hit in a vital spot, otherwise normal weapons don't have much effect. The nobles ganged up and mangled them while they were paralyzed, but stabbing one like Roderick did is useless. They're of course not completely immune, which is why I didn't say so. In the end conventional weapons still aren't as effective on them as they'd be on normal people.

I see; so it's not a matter of that they have to be hit by a +5 weapon or so :p. Still, jokes aside, that more or less sumarizes it; thrusting a sword in a familiar will only annoy it, no more...

So, the chaos and ambient terror facilitate the city's annihilation? Who disagreed with that? Nobody as far as I know; it goes without saying. If that's really just what you wanted to say, these 2 lines would have been enough... It doesn't change the fact that the familiars and Daka are fearsome for a good reason: because they're supernatural monsters and real killing machines. To say that "without the benefit of being scary" they wouldn't do half the damage they're doing right now is really just a baseless assumption, doubly irrelevant since doing a lot of "damage" is mainly what makes them scary.

That TOO. Still, as I said, it shall be intereting to see how things develop in the regard to these things in coming episodes...

That gets me back to what I said at the beginning of this post: that this discussion (argument?) has no reason to be

Perhaps, but Dec 22 is still a long way away, so we have plenty of freetime to use, even if only to fool around, don't we? ;D

Splendly done!! XD

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Klaus said:
@Aazealh: Arrgh....you stole my idea :miura:

Hehe well, I seem to remember making Captain Planet jokes before that flash of yours came out. :zodd: Speaking of which, we want the second seas.. version of your flash animation! :guts: Anyway, I'm glad you guys like that video. Now, on to the pamphlet...

Dark Wanderer said:
*shrugs* I thorught it sounded rather like you underestimated the fear they instill in their opponents...

Yeah well, like I tried to imply before, nothing in my post says that I underestimate the fear they induce, I'm just being sensible about it.

Dark Wanderer said:
And if they don't fight back they still mostly die anyway ::). Yeah, I know, it's like Luca says at one point: Cowards survive more often than those who are no cowards.

So? Isn't their decision (more like a reflex) to retreat understandable? Some of them are escaping alive, like the guards Guts & co saved, or the nobles, etc. If these people had rushed to fight, they'd be dead, and right now they are not. And most of the time they don't have time to escape, nor to even fight back at all. It's besides the point anyway, they don't have what it takes to face the assailants, it's also part of the Kushan strategy.

You're totally deviating the topic here, and ignoring Rhombaad's reply by the same occasion. Of course if the defenders organized themselves and tried to use tactics to hold positions against the monsters they'd get more results, I don't think that even needs to be said. Does it change anything to the original point though? No. The Pishacha aren't just casting spells to "Instill Fear" like in EverQuest, they're powerful supernatural beasts and that's why they're scary. I really don't see what you want to do here, you're just stating the obvious and trying to make an (IMO) awkward point.

Dark Wanderer said:
standing paraplysed by fear is even worse than not trying at all (or running away, if you prefer).

If running away means staying alive and being able to plan a counter offensive, it's not worse. Now about "standing paralyzed", the manga shows us still scenes, but that doesn't necessarily mean people are petrified... It's just that the Pishacha are too fast for them, like on the docks in episode 263, they don't have time to either flee or fight back, or do anything at all. It's a surprise attack, so it's normal for the surprise element to play a role...

Dark Wanderer said:
And as I said, it isn't totally impossible to win against the familiars or the Daka, so their situation isn't completety hopeless...

Because it's not totally impossible doesn't mean it's possible in the current situation.

Dark Wanderer said:
Nah, 5 might be enough to deal with a familiar, I think. But as the soldiers of Vritannis are now for the first (and perhaps last) time facing Daka, I don't thinkt they've deleoped any recommendable tactics/strategies against Daka or familiars...

Yeah, you "think". Not that I disagree, but this doesn't change anything here. Since the Daka aren't 1 to 5 against Vritannis' guards, it's not looking too good either way. As for developing strategies... Again, it's a surprise attack, half the town already died (or is about to) in a matter of minutes.

Dark Wanderer said:
I don't believe we've seen much of defense from the side of the "average" soldier, it's just been lots of fear and chaos

They haven't really had the opportunity to do anything, since they died before they could understand what was happening to them. That's where chaos and fear come from. If the Pishacha had just standed there doing nothing, people wouldn't be afraid. Same thing if soldiers were able to successfully hold them back.

Dark Wanderer said:
Tha'ts one reaosn of why I'm looking forward to future episodes; the fight further in on land, the coming of the old man, etc...

If the Hawks appear to fight the Kushans, there shouldn't be too many problems. Even their humans troops should be well prepared to fight against supernatural creatures (plus they'd probably be able to swarm them if there aren't more Pishacha/Daka in reserve), and with apostles to back them up they shouldn't suffer too many losses. As for the other armies though... I'm afraid the Kushans would have something in stock to destabilize and then massacre them, just like they're doing in Vritannis now (less easily of course given the numbers/skills involved, I'd expect the battle to be a bit more equitable). It also depends whether the fog would reduce their visibility or not. Urban fights suit the familiars very well because they can strike suddenly, "out of nowhere". They're less at their advantage in open fields, where archers can pelt them with arrows and infantry react accordingly to the evolution of the battle.

Dark Wanderer said:
On a side note, didn't Serpico mention that one of the smaller countires had experience in fightning the kushans? If so I wonder if that means that they've encountered their familiars and Daka before...

Morgar and Walatoria have fought against the Kushans many times before, yes. I don't think they've encountered too many Pishacha and Daka though, maybe a few but if it had been on a large scale they probably wouldn't exist anymore.

Dark Wanderer said:
Dec 22 is still a long way away, so we have plenty of freetime to use, even if only to fool around, don't we? ;D

Sure, I'd prefer us to be constructive and discuss interesting topics though, not insisting on subjective and groundless notions.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
He was lying, it's a joke. There's no second season, sorry.
Thats not what my brothers friend's cousin said, he said that he heard it from this one website on the internets! :troll:

Seriously though, We have a long time before the next episode comes out.... yup.... in a month+.... MmmHmm.... so... yeaaa.....

.. . . ...

How big is Gut's sword?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Yes, because otherwise you'd have your post deleted.

Really, I'm not sure saying anything redeems it... The best jokes are the shortest, no need to go on forever about it. Especially since Walter already summed it up perfectly, replying again doesn't add anything to it, it's just redundant. It's better to know when to drop a topic before it gets old.

Thanks for the episode!

A thought: could it be that Ganishka is watching the man that killed the first makara?
I mean could it be something more of a coincidence this one?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
Thanks for the episode!

A thought: could it be that Ganishka is watching the man that killed the first makara?
I mean could it be something more of a coincidence this one?
What gives you the impression Ganishka is personally watching each Makara? As far as we know, Daiba is the only one keeping tabs on the individual forces.

Then again, we know so little about Ganishka's interaction and sentience with the fog, it's tough to be certain of anything.

Supposing Ganishka IS watching everything, what's he gonna do about it? :griff:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
What gives you the impression Ganishka is personally watching each Makara?  As far as we know, Daiba is the only one keeping tabs on the individual forces.

Then again, we know so little about Ganishka's interaction and sentience with the fog, it's tough to be certain of anything.

Supposing Ganishka IS watching everything, what's he gonna do about it?  :griff:

Fog 'em up. :badbone:

Perhaps Daiba reported that a makara was slain by somebody back then.
As he confessed, this was extraordinary, perhaps worth noting and perhaps initially suspected having to do with Griffith.
Or perhaps it's Daiba looking for Guts...dunno
The core of this question is if this makara encounter could be more than the random chaos at Vritannis

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So amidst a full scale invasion, there's also an independant Makara assassin sent after Guts? :???: Or maybe they're in collusion!

codec_mgs2_colonel.gif
: Makara, your mission is to infiltrate Vritannis and begin the invasion, but also to assassinate this man!

Seriously though, why make the situation more complicated? Why can't the obvious reason be the actual one? The Makara is part of the invasion, just like all the other forces.

CnC

Ad Oculos
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?! Cause if so, I like where this is going! :guts:

Take your oedipus complex elsewhere, buster.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was the "insult the previous poster" thread.

Top Bottom