Yo ho, a pirates sequel for me

CnC

Ad Oculos
I went into the first one with no (if not less than favorable) expectations. I was surprised in that it wasn't _complete_ garbage, or at least was entertaining in a "don't think too much" kinda way.
I expect the sequel to bring absolutely nothing that the first one didn't already bring.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Trailer looks fun. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't see how anyone can be harsh regarding the first movie. It was a pirate action flick. What'd you honestly expect? I could have done with less Orlando Bloom, but that's just a personal preference. I readily acknowledge I'm in the vast minority by voicing, "less Orlando Bloom, please."

Personally, I thought the first movie was refreshing, and I hope its sequel maintains the self-awareness of genre its predecessor had. As long as it does, I'm sure it'll be worth the ticket price.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I caught this trailer on a Russian movie site about a week ago, but the quality was shitty so I gotta thank ya for the better lookin' trailer. I loved the first movie, way better than I thought it would be going into it. I agree with the less Orlando, Walter, although I've found he's at least tolerable. Can't wait for this one, I imagine it should be just as fun as the first if they stick to what made the original great: sheer, mindless pirate fun. :SK:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I don't see how anyone can be harsh regarding the first movie. It was a pirate action flick. What'd you honestly expect? [...] Personally, I thought the first movie was refreshing, and I hope its sequel maintains the self-awareness of genre its predecessor had.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. I wasn't expecting anything from the original and actually didn't even know Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom were part of it, and I was pleasantly surprised. I even didn't mind Bloom too much, as long as he's not playing Legolas it's fine with me. I'm not expecting this sequel to be a masterpiece but I think it'll fare well, especially since this genre hasn't been exploited for quite a while.

Considering the grade of film we're getting on a regular basis these days. I'd say it WAS a masterpiece by comparison :/ I'm amazed at how little I remember of the movie. I just know that it was one of the few films in recent years that I was forced to see that I didn't mind one bit.

CnC

Ad Oculos
DOOMXEEN said:
Considering the grade of film we're getting on a regular basis these days. I'd say it WAS a masterpiece by comparison :/

Point taken...
Guess it wasn't bad at all then. Having no expectations of it helped, though. Lets hope the sequel is more than a cash-in.

I enjoyed the first movie enough. Not something I would watch over and over but it was fun.

Based on the trailer the second one looks like it will be on about the same level.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I have to agree with Aaz and Cnc,
I really didn't expect much out of the first one but I was pleasantly surprised.. I'm looking forward to the sequel but I'm not really going to get my hopes up. I enjoy movies more if I tell myself that they are going to sub par and I like them more because I didn't expect a lot out of them. Therefore the Silent Hill and Castlevania movies will suck. Big time.

I didn't much enjoy it really, the first one that is.

I thought it was subpar myself.

Orlando bloom just can't act imo besides his role as legolas. He sucks at about any other role i've seen him in.

The only saving grace imo was Depp.

I guess I much prefer movies like Master and Commander, yellowbeard, etc to it.

Seemed a bit watered down and such to me, of course it was a disney movie.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Stiler said:
Orlando bloom just can't act imo besides his role as legolas. He sucks at about any other role i've seen him in.

The only saving grace imo was Depp.

I guess I much prefer movies like Master and Commander, yellowbeard, etc to it.

Seemed a bit watered down and such to me, of course it was a disney movie.

I pretty much agree. While Depp stole the show, Bloom is not a "terrible" actor. Aside from legolas, he seems to do well as the "inept" character. I thought he was decent in Kingdom of Heaven.

Well, when I watched Kingdom of Heaven I just couldn't get away from the cheeze aspect. I found not only the lines cheezy but a lot of the acting.

Which kind of sucked, because at first watching the move (right where he decides to follow his father and they set up their camp for the night/day then get attacked) It was very very nice seeing the fight there, but after that you hardly see nothing as good as the first scenes. Same problem he had with gladiator imo, though the acting/story imo was much better directed.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Stiler said:
Which kind of sucked, because at first watching the move (right where he decides to follow his father and they set up their camp for the night/day then get attacked) It was very very nice seeing the fight there, but after that you hardly see nothing as good as the first scenes. Same problem he had with gladiator imo, though the acting/story imo was much better directed.

Disagree with you on Gladiator. The reason I liked Kingdom of Heaven was mostly for its cinematography. Actually, it was a similar experience to Pirates in that I went in with no expectations...

I enjoyed many aspects of Kingdom of Heaven especially the cinematography and the theme of the movie. Regarding Gladiator I think it had everything needed to succeed as a Blockbuster Guy Movie.

CnC said:
Disagree with you on Gladiator. The reason I liked Kingdom of Heaven was mostly for its cinematography. Actually, it was a similar experience to Pirates in that I went in with no expectations...

I was talking about the fighting :p, not the plot/storyline (of Gladiator).

It seemed like there weren't enough Gladiator fights in it to me, could have used a few more, espically some good ones against exotic animals and things.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Stiler said:
I was talking about the fighting :p, not the plot/storyline (of Gladiator).

It seemed like there weren't enough Gladiator fights in it to me, could have used a few more, espically some good ones against exotic animals and things.

Well what you said was that the first scenes were better than the later ones. Thats what I was disagreeing with. I enjoyed all of them.

Davey Jones (and probably his entire crew), looks pretty awesome.

davey_jones.jpg

Very Cthuhlu like

Top Bottom