Guts' path in the future

After reading through some back chapters and other threads it occured to me that it's been a reasonable amount of time since Guts has made any real attempt to try and follow revenge by going after Griffith and the Godhand again.

Granted it is pretty obvious he is (and probably always will be) still angry at Griffith and the Godhand which is justified, shown at such times as Episode 237 while Skully was talking about him coming across many Apostles lead by Griffith before the beast almost comes forth once again. Also Slann in volume 26, trying to kill her without hesitating the moment he sees her.

I think it's safe to say Guts is and probably always has been an incredibly one track minded person. For some time now his only thought was to take Casca to Elfhelm. Question is after that is done will he want to go right back to revenge or find a new reason to live?

After Elfhelm I have no real idea what his choices will be when the time comes, but suspect he will either find something else he will want to do with his life or when he considers revenge be stopped by Casca (as many of us have considered)

There is also a possibility that he will continue revenge right away and the others (including Casca who's bitter) will follow him on his journey to kill Griffith, Apostles and any who stand in his way. To me however Character development in Guts has been slowly changing over a period of time, particularly after life altering experiences so I doubt he would just follow revenge without something to set his mind off.

I could see him deciding to kill the Godhand and Apostles different reasons, in particular taking on a more benevolent reason to kill Griffith and Apostles instead of being primarily for revenge as he is becoming a better person in the series.

Whatever the case I think it's fairly safe to say that for whatever reason it's a matter of time before Guts will eventually hunt Griffith, Apostles and the Godhand again, most readers will agree on this. The other possible story path is while he is trying to make his life better after reaching Elfhelm something happens that sets him off again to be once again only thinking of revenge.

Your thoughts?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
it occured to me that it's been a reasonable amount of time since Guts has made any real attempt to try and follow revenge by going after Griffith and the Godhand again.

Since volume 16 basically.

Sparnage said:
I think it's safe to say Guts is and probably always has been an incredibly one track minded person. For some time now his only thought was to take Casca to Elfhelm.

I don't think so, and I don't see what could lead you to this conclusion. After the Eclipse he was obviously perturbed, what with Casca refusing his company and all. That's really the only time he was obsessed to the point of not caring about anything else (let's not forget that he spent most of his life without having any goal and just pondering about what he should do). After he went to rescue Casca, her security naturally became his priority, and it has been repeatedly made clear that he couldn't do two things at a time, it's either protecting Casca or fighting to get his revenge, not both. Now I can understand him being zealous about protecting the girl he loves, especially given what they endure(d). Guts is depicted as determined to me, not one-track minded.

Sparnage said:
Whatever the case I think it's fairly safe to say that for whatever reason it's a matter of time before Guts will eventually hunt Griffith, Apostles and the Godhand again, most readers will agree on this.

Well I think it's clear that the story won't stop abruptly with Elfhelm. Now what the determinant factor will be is hard to guess at the moment. However...

Sparnage said:
something happens that sets him off again to be once again only thinking of revenge.

I don't think he'll necessarily be only thinking about getting his revenge again. In fact I see this as rather unlikely.

The arrival at Elfhelm will be a major turning point in the series, but we don't know how long it will take (episode wise) for them to arive there and or what changes will occur before they reach their destination. Alot of what will happen depends on what Guts and company will find there. :???:

It would be crazy if when they got to Elfheim it would be ravaged and destroyed by apostles, monsters, and other bad things, highly unlikely and getting off topic but just a crazy idea.

Also It seems to me like Guts is obiviously changing along his journey, I'm sure he is still on it for the same reason but maybe he sees his reason in a different way now.

Aazealh said:
I don't think so, and I don't see what could lead you to this conclusion. After the Eclipse he was obviously perturbed, what with Casca refusing his company and all. That's really the only time he was obsessed to the point of not caring about anything else (let's not forget that he spent most of his life without having any goal and just pondering about what he should do). After he went to rescue Casca, her security naturally became his priority, and it has been repeatedly made clear that he couldn't do two things at a time, it's either protecting Casca or fighting to get his revenge, not both. Now I can understand him being zealous about protecting the girl he loves, especially given what they endure(d). Guts is depicted as determined to me, not one-track minded.

Traits like determination, stubborness and being single minded are at times very similar, and in Guts's situation I believe they are closely tied.
Before you may jump to conclusions on what i'm getting at I don't think that makes him any less deep or simple as a character, I think it compliments his personality as the protagonist in the situation he has been in up until now and going on, and has been shown in many examples through the story.

As you said there's no denying that revenge after the Eclipse and now making sure Casca is taken safely to Elfhelm is not understandable. He had a justified reason to devote his life to revenge but of all the people he met, situations he had been in and being so close to eternal dispair after death, he never hesitated until something more important came along and changed his reason to live.
Protecting Casca and ensuring she gets to Elfhelm which of course is still the current drive of Guts's story needless to say, and that's unlikely to change. It's not a bad thing but I still see it as single minded.

These of course aren't the only reasons I believe this, another big example was his decision to leave the Hawks. Though he was happy with them and at the time considers it the best time in his life (and probably still does) but he was still insistent on leaving.
Why? so he can make something for himself and be Griffiths equal. He doesn't know what it is or how to find it but leaves a great life in a position of financial comfort and being surrounded by people like his family but it didn't matter. Nothing could change this decision, not even Griffith. It was simply what he decided he wanted above all else in his situation.

Other little examples are shown throughout the story. He makes a decision and sticks with it even if it isn't the best decision, it's the only way he really knew well how to live. His earlier life style before joining the Hawks was more or less wondering from one battle ground to another putting himself in dangerous situations so he can survive and move on; that was at the time the only real way he knew how to live.

Guts's personality and demeanor through the story has changed slowly over the past 30 volumes. Even though he has better reasons and more knowledge for his actions than he once did, he still carries old traits as being stubborn, incredibly determined rather single minded.
In episode 257, after being in a great position to have a boat to leave the city he was willing to turn that down, face Serpico in a very dangerous situation just to see Farnese again. After all the chaos Serpico asks him what he plans to do and his answer was simply something like "I dunno, i'm just gonna see her, that's what i've decided". Not being sure he could even convince her to change her mind but still willing to go through all of that, that's very Guts to me.

You may not agree but that's my perspective.

I don't think he'll necessarily be only thinking about getting his revenge again. In fact I see this as rather unlikely.

Same, just throwing around ideas. ^_^

jepn30 said:
The arrival at Elfhelm will be a major turning point in the series, but we don't know how long it will take (episode wise) for them to arive there and or what changes will occur before they reach their destination. Alot of what will happen depends on what Guts and company will find there. :???:

Agreed, I think that's why so many people are looking forward to it. After they get there the story has the potential go down several completely different paths, and I can't wait to see which it ends up being. ;D

Zelz said:
It would be crazy if when they got to Elfhelm it would be ravaged and destroyed by apostles, monsters, and other bad things, highly unlikely and getting off topic but just a crazy idea.

Also It seems to me like Guts is obiviously changing along his journey, I'm sure he is still on it for the same reason but maybe he sees his reason in a different way now.

That's certainly one path the story could take. I doubt it and hope not, getting tired of "special" Casca, doesn't really contribute anything new to the story other than the hope of being cured.

Yeah, I'm curious to how his personality will change as the story comes closer to an end. I think he might be a tad softer and more emotional because his crew may grow on him more yet (Casca in particular if her mind is restored to normal) and more mature.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Sparnage said:
(the longer portion of your post) ...specifically:

Protecting Casca and ensuring she gets to Elfhelm which of course is still the current drive of Guts's story needless to say, and that's unlikely to change. It's not a bad thing but I still see it as single minded.

I don't see Guts actions as being single minded at all. It is, in fact, a major aspect of his character right now to be in conflict. He has a big choice ahead of him. That is to protect or to seek revenge. Thats even depicted literally in the beast, to say he is single minded when he's almost got a split personality is wrong.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
While I do agree with Aaz and CnC that Guts is too complex to be labeled "single-minded," I think perhaps what Sparnage is referring to is Guts' trademark aggressive personality.

"You never change, do you? Even before you speak, you're waving your sword around." - Griffith on the Hill of Swords.

During the recent Duel with Serpico, Guts didn't have a plan. He walked into the fight planning to improvise, relying on his reflexes alone. This is just part of his tactics :guts: It doesn't make him single-minded.

Another, more direct example is at the Reincarnation Ceremony, when Guts holds back his attack because of Casca's moans. A single-minded person would have said "fuck this whiny bitch," and went ahead with the attack.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
While I do agree with Aaz and CnC that Guts is too complex to be labeled "single-minded," I think perhaps what Sparnage is referring to is Guts' trademark aggressive personality.

"You never change, do you? Even before you speak, you're waving your sword around." - Griffith on the Hill of Swords.

Well, while Guts is agressive when need be, he had been planning at taking a swing at Griffith for a while. :guts:
Actually, it was his lack of aggression apon first seeing Griffith that surprised even himself. So there's still more going on there.

So yea, aggressive, but not mindlessly so (unless in "beast" mode :chomp:)

Top Bottom