Future Members of Guts and Co.

Ok, I've been thinking, as the dangers have increased in Guts' journeys, he's met people along the way, who now from Guts and Co. (u follow?) The first was Puck, then Isidro, followed by Farnese and Serpico and finally Schierke (Ivarella as well). Now even Magnifico and Roderick (however temporary they may be). Now for my speculations on future allies.

I for one think Silat will somehow manage to become Guts' allie in the future. As of right now, he seemes horrified that the Emperor he serves in a 'demon'. I don't see him joining the Hawks; 1) He has no Midland status to help Griffith (although Kushan soldiers have been given the 3rd option and are now serving Griffith. Silat doesn't seem the type of character to become another faceless soldier of Griffith 2) He doesn't seem too down with the whole demon scene. 3) He and Rakshas seem to have some underlying issues with each other. 4) He has battled and lost to Guts twice. There has to be some respect there. 5) Why introduce him in volume 9 and have him pop up here and there for all this time? How and why, he would join Guts' cause, I do not know. He's skilled enough along with the Tapasa to become an important allie for Guts. Lets face facts, as time goes on, Guts will face more and more and stronger and stronger apostles. Plus, since he is a Prince (and refreshing myself by reading the SkullKnight.net encyclopedia (thumbs up, big smiles, product placement!), he has his own small army. I strongly believe for Griffith to realize Guts poses a threat, the Berserk Armor is not enough, I see Guts eventually having a great force behind him to go against Griffith's campaign. (BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT'S THIS THREAD IS ABOUT)

Mule is another prime candidate to join Guts' cause. He is one of the last (besides Charlotte) of Midland Royalty. Once he realizes Griffith's true intentions and origins, its sayonara for sure, I don't think anyone can argue that. And when he and Isidro fought for an entire episode, they exchanged names (not a big deal i know) but it was kind of a hint toward what may come (IMO). For one I don't see Mule being killed by anyone in Guts' Co., especially not after he helped rescue Schierke and Sonja at the docks. He won't be killed by Griffith, at least not anytime soon. Mule like Silat also has men who allegiance lies with him (the number of men i do not kno).

I'm sure that Azan will eventually join Guts Co., for Farnese's sake alone. We've seen that he can handle his own. Although, I wonder how'd he do against apostles.  :???: I'm sure he's more than capable to kick some Daka ass though. Plus, he seems to be a competent leader.

As for Sonja, she's blinded by and seemingly in love with Griffith. She'll be in his company 'till then end IMO. I'd be surprised to see her in any other setting.

Your thoughts!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well to that end I don't think even Griffith knows what "he's all about". In that, I don't think Griffith knows of the destruction/etc he'll cause. He just wants his kingdom, at any cost.
I can see Mule leaving griffith apon a realization of what Griffith's kingdom has become, perhaps that. But that wouldn't be for a long, long time.

Yeah I can only see Azan joining also, well who can't really?
Wouldn't be surprised if Roderick decided to stick around for the boat trip, which could last a while before eventually parting when the boat trip comes to an end.
Hard to say, if he did then Magnifico would be likley to join and potentially become another unnecessary comic relief to interrupt the crucial parts of the story. Hope not.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
I for one think Silat will somehow manage to become Guts' allie in the future. As of right now, he seemes horrified that the Emperor he serves in a 'demon'.

He didn't look all that "horrified", but he certainly doesn't seem to approve. Now the question is whether he'll be able to desert or not, he can't oppose Ganishka alone. I'm confident in his talents though, and I hope he becomes a more important factor later in the story (not necessarily as Guts' ally, maybe on his own).

Proj2501 said:
He doesn't seem too down with the whole demon scene.

Well, he also seems to know a part of the truth about Griffith himself, that's important. He knows he's not just a brilliant general.

Proj2501 said:
Plus, since he is a Prince (and refreshing myself by reading the SkullKnight.net encyclopedia (thumbs up, big smiles, product placement!), he has his own small army.

He's not a prince actually, just the heir of his clan and apparently its only leader. The small army you refer to is the Bakiraka clan, which are the best Kushan fighters we know of apart from the supernatural creatures we've been seeing recently.

Proj2501 said:
I strongly believe for Griffith to realize Guts poses a threat, the Berserk Armor is not enough, I see Guts eventually having a great force behind him to go against Griffith's campaign.

No matter how great that force would be, I have trouble imagining soldiers stronger than apostles. Plus Ganishka is already filling the role of the emperor opposing Griffith with great armies.

Proj2501 said:
Mule is another prime candidate to join Guts' cause.

I don't think that will happen. At least not before a long time. His newfound rivalry with Isidro doesn't hint at a future collaboration more than at them being opponents IMHO.

Proj2501 said:
I'm sure that Azan will eventually join Guts Co., for Farnese's sake alone.

While I've been hoping that Azan would join the group for years, I don't see why it'd be for Farnese' sake. He's not Serpico... Farnese was just his leader when they were in the HICKs, but that's the past. If he joins, it'll be for himself.

Sparnage said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Roderick decided to stick around for the boat trip, which could last a while before eventually parting when the boat trip comes to an end.
Hard to say, if he did then Magnifico would be likley to join

Roderick's the captain of their ship, of course he's going to stick around until the end of the sea trip. He's not going to stay in Vritannis while Guts & co. take his ship and journey to Elfhelm. And he's already asked Magnifico if he wanted to come, and Magnifico's already accepted (that's why they're sticking around instead of fleeing with the other nobles). Haven't you been paying attention?

Sparnage said:
another unnecessary comic relief to interrupt the crucial parts of the story.

I'm tired of reading that kind of baseless comments (always from the same people). I for one like the "comic relief" and find it as necessary as the rest to make a good story, and I don't see how it interrupts any "crucial part" in Berserk. No comic relief interrupted Guts while he was mangling Makara in the last episode, and since that's what people like you consider to be crucial, why are you complaining? If you didn't overlook such trivial things as how Guts' band is going to get a ship then maybe you could pretend to criticize the comic relief, if you had tangible arguments that is. I'm actually surprised you even notice it, since it's hardly ever the focus of a panel.

Aazealh said:
Roderick's the captain of their ship, of course he's going to stick around until the end of the sea trip.

For me, I think Farnese's presence in Guts' band is also what decided him to lend them his ship. Well, I didn't read the last Episodes many time, but it seemed to me his "love" for Farnese could be real (not fainted). Who knows, maybe he could stay even longer than the "sea trip"?! I personally wouldn't mind him staying with Guts and Co., he certainly is a cool character, and with magical weapons, he may be a pretty great fighter. Maybe... :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
For me, I think Farnese's presence in Guts' band is also what decided him to lend them his ship.

Of course, I think it's clear it played a big role in his decision. As for whether he feigns his love or not... It's hard to say (remember what he whispered to Magnifico about their plan in episode 263), but I'm pretty sure he's got some affection for Farnese in any case.

asmer said:
Who knows, maybe he could stay even longer than the "sea trip"?! I personally wouldn't mind him staying with Guts and Co., he certainly is a cool character, and with magical weapons, he may be a pretty great fighter.

Well it's a definite possibility, I'm not sure I want him around forever though. However his fighting skills seem to be passable at best to me, magical weapons may not be the answer to everything.

Aazealh said:
Roderick's the captain of their ship, of course he's going to stick around until the end of the sea trip. He's not going to stay in Vritannis while Guts & co. take his ship and journey to Elfhelm. And he's already asked Magnifico if he wanted to come, and Magnifico's already accepted (that's why they're sticking around instead of fleeing with the other nobles). Haven't you been paying attention?

Getting on the boat, yeah but going all the way elfhelm with them? I am expecting the boat trip alone to go easily go over a a couple of volumes, plenty of time for the two nobels to get off somewhere along the way before going to a place like elfhelm, even if Roderick is the captain.

I'm tired of reading that kind of baseless comments (always from the same people). I for one like the "comic relief" and find it as necessary as the rest to make a good story, and I don't see how it interrupts any "crucial part" in Berserk. No comic relief interrupted Guts while he was mangling Makara in the last episode, and since that's what people like you consider to be crucial, why are you complaining? If you didn't overlook such trivial things as how Guts' band is going to get a ship then maybe you could pretend to criticize the comic relief, if you had tangible arguments that is. I'm actually surprised you even notice it, since it's hardly ever the focus of a panel.

Yeah, the last episode is more what I go for I guess. I for one like how the comic relief was set in the old school days moreso. It seemed more called for rather than out of obligation, but I guess you don't agree.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
Getting on the boat, yeah but going all the way elfhelm with them?

Sorry man, but the captain of a ship doesn't get off in the midst of a sea trip, that wouldn't make much sense (well except in case of a mutiny). First he'd have nowhere to go and he'd be abandoning his crew, and second who would command if he went away? It's not like anybody in Guts' band has sea navigation skills, and I doubt the crew would obey their orders without Roderick around. Anyway, Magnifico will be getting off at Braj (if all goes well), some town where he has connexions; that has also been said in the manga already. But Roderick is staying on his ship all the way to Elfhelm (and then back to his country) until further notice.

Sparnage said:
I for one like how the comic relief was set in the old school days moreso. It seemed more called for rather than out of obligation, but I guess you don't agree.

Yeah, especially since I can effortlessly dig out a lot of comic relief in the "old school days" episodes that you probably don't remember about (because you read a lot of volumes at once as opposed to each episode individually?) and that isn't especially more called for than it is nowadays. It occurred less regularly at some points in the past (the least being in the Golden Age arc), that's pretty much all you can say about it. And I indeed don't see how it's supposed to be out of obligation, if anything Miura can take more liberties now than in the past thanks to Berserk's commercial success. Personally I don't mind seeing more or less comic relief in the story, and I don't think it departs from the current overall mood nor distracts the reader from the rest. I enjoy it and find it generally fitting, and that's without getting most of the Japanese culture exclusive subtones. If anything I'd like the elves to get more character development, but I guess not all characters can be the focus at the same time.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I also won't mind much if Magnifico leaves the group early. :beast:

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
I tend to think Silat will offer more assistance by way of coincidence than active group participation.

As unlikely as it is at this point, I'd like to see Rickert back in the story. It might not be so unlikely later, so I hold out hope for this possibility.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, especially since I can effortlessly dig out a lot of comic relief in the "old school days" episodes that you probably don't remember about (because you read a lot of volumes at once as opposed to each episode individually?) and that isn't especially more called for than it is nowadays. It occurred less regularly at some points in the past (the least being in the Golden Age arc), that's pretty much all you can say about it. And I indeed don't see how it's supposed to be out of obligation, if anything Miura can take more liberties now than in the past thanks to Berserk's commercial success. Personally I don't mind seeing more or less comic relief in the story, and I don't think it departs from the current overall mood nor distracts the reader from the rest. I enjoy it and find it generally fitting, and that's without getting most of the Japanese culture exclusive subtones. If anything I'd like the elves to get more character development, but I guess not all characters can be the focus at the same time.

Yeah, I remember most of comic relief moments from earlier Berserk. I have no problem with the comic relief but I believe there are circumstances to when it should be used, it seemed to me at the time was more selective of this.

There might've been humour at serious moments back in the day (eg during the 100 man slaying Guts warning Adon of Casca's aggression after he suggests her to take her captive) but Miura didn't really use extreme comical concepts like "Yoda Puck" or any other version of him going through his little wardrobe, talking about Guts being his student or other similar concepts. Don't you ever find those moments a little too much?

I want Roderick to stick around. He's funny, fearless, jovial, and will constantly be trying to hit on Farnese to add some comic relief. I loved it when he carelessly went up to Guts and tapped on his armor. That was great.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I can't wait for Azan to side with Guts. I love his character because he is is very serious and dignified; yet at the same time the contrast of his chivalrous bearing with the events he witnesses and his over-the-top reactions to them can make for some funny moments: I'm thinking of when he brings Isidro's duel with the Stereotypical Pirate Captain to an abrupt end and proceeds to attack the Captain's crew. He makes me think of a cross between King Arthur and the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Top Bottom