What are you reading?

CnC said:
I haven't read it.  I did read hobbit tho. Never could get very far into LotR when I tried (three times, I think).  I agree with you on that, Walter.

Ah interesting to see that some people share my opinion. I thought i was the only one who didnt really care for The Lord Of The Rings.

Reading Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr. This guys knows how to write, he captures the mind-set of junkies perfectly, and doesnt make them stereotypes either. Its weird to think the book came out in..... 76' or around there.

TheBeast43105 said:
Reading Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr.    This guys knows how to write, he captures the mind-set of junkies perfectly, and doesnt make them stereotypes either. Its weird to think the book came out in..... 76' or around there.
Yeah, really interesting style. I could almost feel the addiction of the characters, and Aronofsky adapted it perfectly, I felt.
I'm really even surprised I could understand or follow any of the conversations, given that he never used quotations.
Have you read any of his others?

Slightly Green said:
Yeah, really interesting style. I could almost feel the addiction of the characters, and Aronofsky adapted it perfectly, I felt.
I'm really even surprised I could understand or follow any of the conversations, given that he never used quotations.
Have you read any of his others?

Yeah it took me a good 50 pages or so until i adapted to the no quotations, and the movie is one of my favorites of all time :guts: Aronofsky is a serious inspiration to me.

I've also read The Demon by Selby. Its extremely good, and Selby makes a mans descent into insanity disturbingly plausible. The book starts out a little slow, but all in all, a very good read.

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
These days I'm reading Murakami's Sputnik Sweetheart and The Great War for Civilization by Robert Fisk. Last one's a real pick-me up, let me tell you :chomp:

Just finished 1984 and started this while awaiting shipment of another book from Amazon:

7303234.jpg

Has anyone heard of or read anything by Charles de Lint? I saw some of his books and they seemed interesting. Just curious if anyone here can recommend them or warn me to stear clear.

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
Sparnage said:
I've heard good things about 1984, would you recommend it?

I've read 1984 before a couple of years back and I didn't care too much for it myself.  I just found it hard to get into, although other people might enjoy it more than I did.

Sparnage said:
I've heard good things about 1984, would you recommend it?
It was a quick read for me.
There were some boggy moments where my interest waned, but it kept my interest for the most part.
One of my friends' biggest complaint is that Orwelle just repeats himself after the first 24pgs. I myself didn't find this to be entirely true, but there were repetitive moments.
Just try it. It won't hurt to try, right?

Raziel said:
I've read 1984 before a couple of years back and I didn't care too much for it myself.  I just found it hard to get into, although other people might enjoy it more than I did.

I personally didnt like the book very much either. My memory is foggy, but when the main character gets the one book and it tells about how the government fell and everything else, that section was very tedious i think.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, the thread's filled with 1984 haters? Tsk tsk, you guys... I never would have suspected my little SKnet members to not dig Orwell. It's the ultimate dystopian novel.

I won't try to convince you guys, but I personally love the book. However, my first time through it, during high school, I felt so strongly for it that after I read the last sentence, I tore it in 2 1984 pieces and threw it in the trash. That was, of course, before I knew about ... well anything really of historical substance. I think that to truly appreciate the book, you need to have at least a moderate grasp on the global political tensions of the time Orwell wrote the book (1946-48), and know the implications of it. For example, I really can't imagine Animal Farm would be too powerful without being at least a little aware of its parallels to the communist party.

TheBeast43105 said:
I personally didnt like the book very much either. My memory is foggy, but when the main character gets the one book and it tells about how the government fell and everything else, that section was very tedious i think.
Well, if you aren't really into history or non-fiction books, I can see how the style may be tedious. Personally, I could read that section over and over. To me, it's fascinating how the Party's political ideology develops over time. It's a really frightening, clinical depiction of the direction he saw modern politics heading.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Ah 1984...another book on my "to read" list...

Anywho, just started on Raymond E. Feist's most recent book, which came out in the UK last November, Flight of the Nighthawks. After two years of reading the Midkemia novels, I'm finally caught up and my friends who've read all of 'em before me can finally start talking with me about all the latest developments, without spoiling anything. :guts:

I finished "1984" the last weekend and it's really a great novel. I just couldn't stop reading.

Someone has read "Don Quijote" or some Spanish novels?

brinco said:
Someone has read "Don Quijote" or some Spanish novels?
One of these days, I will.

I have a bit of an obsession with reading these great, epic-in-size Classic novels, and Don Quixote is certainly one. "Les Mis" is another, along with more Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, Dickens, more Hugo, etc etc etc.
My List of Books I Must Read Soon is becoming uncontrollable.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I'm re-reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I finished all of them in two months and I've thought about nothing else since... maybe the adult fantasy setting appeals to the Berserk fan in me. Still, I cannot recommend it enough for people who like diverse characters and great depth in their Fiction.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I've read crime and punishment and notes from the underground by fyoder Dostoevsky and I would read pretty much anything by him. Also anything by William Blake and I really enjoy, as sick as it may be, Brett Eastin Ellis novels, American Psycho in particular. Also Hunter S. Thompson (rest in peace) has written the only books where I actually laughed out loud after reading. Other than that just things that I read when I was a younger, but still love, LOTR and stuff. O yea Conrad is also great as is Kurt Vonnegut.

Slightly Green said:
One of these days, I will.

I have a bit of an obsession with reading these great, epic-in-size Classic novels, and Don Quixote is certainly one. "Les Mis" is another, along with more Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, Dickens, more Hugo, etc etc etc.
My List of Books I Must Read Soon is becoming uncontrollable.
OMG Sancho Panza is so goddamn cool (justification for that statement...not included). He even faces up to fierce blanketers! I'm reading it for the first time, very fun.

I've recently been reading a few things by Wright; Native Son didn't sit well but the Outsider was an effective take on The Stranger which is also a great book in its own right.

S

smoke

Yeah, all you 1984 haters are lame. It was a great book. Really makes you think about government in a new way.

Also The Metamorphisis is alright, but I had a hard time finishing it. Never really grabbed me by the nuts and dragged me along like some books do.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Good book. I'm suprised they didn't make you read it in high school or college.

I enjoyed the in-between chapters, describing the sweeping changes in the aftermath of the depression, rather than the actual story itself :guts: But I'm sure I'm alone in that regard.

Top Bottom