What are you reading?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
Hmm, you make me want to give them a shot. Guess I'll finally add that series to my reading list! :guts:

The books are cheap! 10 bucks for me for total cost and shipping. SO figure it would be cheaper for you since you have the all mighty Euro!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
DuneMessiah.jpg

I tried:
only_revolutions.jpg

Still haven't read House of Leaves yet, which I'd really have preferred to read, but the local library didn't have it, so I picked this up instead.
I didn't like it, couldn't really make sense of it. There's a lot of information on the page (though, not as much as House), but you don't really know what to do with it. There are lists and dates off to the side, but when am I supposed to read that? There's no flow or any real interaction between the lists and the "poetic" narrative next to it. The story begins on opposite sides of the book (basically, each cover represents one of the two lovers and as you read [flipping back and forth] the closer you get to the middle, the closer the characters become), and so you have upside down text as well. Certain words or phrases are bolded, but it's hard to say if they really hold any significance either.
Honestly, it just seemed to me that author was REALLY in love with his concept, words and, well, himself.

I didn't even make it to the middle, honestly.

I just finished:
9781585425402hfq5.jpg

I really enjoyed this. It's very simple and a very quick read. Kind of humorous, as well.
It's basically Lynch going on about his experience with Transcendental Meditation, the benefits that he has experienced, and a few of his thoughts on film (his own films and the work of a select few).

And I've just begun:
30670977.JPG

51LzVZspWHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Not so much what I'm reading as what I just read. Probably the best book I've read in the past five years, if not ten years. The immediate sequel is absolutely necessary. Unfortunately, the writing in the third and fourth books drops off in quality, but still worth reading if you like the ideas and want to see more of the universe.

41aGrlGkI3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Finished this one off in one night. Definitely a page-turner. Enjoyed it more than Consider Phlebas, but still have a hard time empathizing with the Culture. Even a benevolent dictator is still a dictator. But it's hard to come up with objections to an actual utopia...

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just purchased the first two volumes of the manga Doors of Chaos. Anyone know of it? Its a gothic fantasy. I actually bought it for my girlfriend who seemed to like it in the store but I'm glad I did, I can't wait to read it. Looks cool.
doorsofchaos1coverps7.jpg

doorofchaosxz7.jpg

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just ordered Volumes 18 and 19 of Blade of the Immortal. Took me a while, I started losing interest with Volume 17 "On the perfection of Anatomy". Hopefully the series will pick up. I also ordered the latest volumes of "Eden-its an endless world", one of my favorite manga. DarkHorse releases the volumes between such a time lapse that I have to force myself to forget about the series all together. Lucky for me after a year of forgetting two new books have come out and another is coming out in a few months. Such a great manga too, and these next few books are suppose to be when the story really gets excellent.
And while I was at the darkhorse website I pre-ordered volume 27 of Berserk. Let's see how long it takes them to get it to me. The release date is Jan 28, so I expect to receive it a maximum of 14 days after that. I don't remember having much luck with release dates in the past, sometimes it seems like the release dates are a month behind, which is why I usually wait to see the books in stores.

So overall I'm very excited to get back into some of my favorite manga titles.

EDIT:

10996qh9.jpg

10997vg0.jpg

These two volumes came in the other day. Incredible manga. My favorite, second only to berserk. Can't wait to see where this story goes. I'm not sure how many volumes are in this series though. I tried finding out for myself with no luck. Anyone know? or anyone know how to find out?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Well I finished Dune Messiah yesterday.

Funny enough I decided the best thing for me to do a month ago was to buy book 3 of the series. Nothing wrong with that of course until I finished book 2 and picked up book 3 taking a good long look at it... it was book 5. FUCK!  :sad:

Anyways because I can't just go out and buy book 3 I'm going to have to read one of the other books I own.

And that book is going to be...
TheAlchemist.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
These two volumes came in the other day. Incredible manga. My favorite, second only to berserk. Can't wait to see where this story goes. I'm not sure how many volumes are in this series though. I tried finding out for myself with no luck. Anyone know? or anyone know how to find out?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Well read The Alchemist! Only took 4 hours.  :ganishka:

I was sitting in my room the other day reading the Alchemist, when my brother walks in grinning like a hobo with fucked up teeth. He hands me a package and tells me to open it. My brother apparently picked me up a copy of Children of Dune. Someone Remind me to get him a good gift!

So I'm now reading
n2091.jpg

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I just got "The Guin Saga book four Prisoner of the Lagon" on amazon for $1.49 new, the shipping was more than the actual book. So far so good with the story.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Finished Spin by Robert Charles Wilson recently. I'll probably read All Tomorrow's Parties by Willian Gibson next.

Good luck with War and Peace.

I'm still reading "The Idiot" by Dostoevsky. And I'm aiming for "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Hemingway.

Oburi

All praise Grail
FUCK!!! My second favorite manga series, Eden, is in danger of being cancelled. It has been for a while but now it looks like it's really come to an end. There is no release date, or any information for that matter, for Eden volume 12. This really sucks. There is nothing worse than seeing one of your favorite manga series cancelled. I feel sick. :sad: :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I;m currently on  my fifth read through of:

n126825.jpg

Oh yeah, I'm also reading Camus' The Stranger.

I'm about halfway through, actually.

I feel part of the problem is the very dry translation I have. It seems to be all business, and no real pleasure. Of course, this could be how Tolstoy had written it, but I remember Anna Karenina having some incredibly beautiful passages and it remains one of my very favorite novels. But there seems to be none of that here.

And to quote Woody Allen, "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes.

It's about some Russians."

At this point, that's how I feel. =)

But I'd recommend Anna Karenina to anyone!

I've all but completely dropped it and moved on:

norwegian-wood.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm re-reading:

asimov_isaac_foundation_av.jpg

Which is probably my favorite sci-fi book/series. If no one here has heard of it or read it, I'd recommend at least reading the first in the series to get a taste for it. It's short, and quick, and if you don't dig it, you can always stop.

PS: I'd forgotten there's a character named Magnifico in it  :ganishka:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Just finished...

locolove.jpg

...from my favorite author. For anyone interested in picking him up though, I wouldn't start with this one, though it would definitely be a different approach, I recommend Rain of Gold or Macho!. Just previously to this I read The Real Frank Zappa Book, which was entertaining though it gets very heavy in a preachy way in the final fourth (same could be said about the former book as well, though it's more inspirational). Now reading an apparently controversial Jimi Hendrix bio.

Top Bottom