What are you reading?

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
If you're into that type of stuff try out George Macdonald's Lilith or Phantastes. George mostly wrote boring ass period drama but he stuck awesome fairy tales in them, and occasionally did a straight-up fantasy novel. Like (and IIRC, inspiring,) CS Lewis they have a decidedly religious bent, especially Lilith of course. But they're just plain not like anything else I've read. So if you dig early fantasy, give George Macdonald a try.

pe_mulehide_years.jpg

NYAR! It's been years since I've read this, I'm enjoying it all over again :guts:

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Lithrael said:
If you're into that type of stuff try out George Macdonald's Lilith or Phantastes. George mostly wrote boring ass period drama but he stuck awesome fairy tales in them, and occasionally did a straight-up fantasy novel. Like (and IIRC, inspiring,) CS Lewis they have a decidedly religious bent, especially Lilith of course. But they're just plain not like anything else I've read. So if you dig early fantasy, give George Macdonald a try.
In fact I do! Thank you for the recommendation...time to buy some books off half!

I just finished 2666 which caught my attention when reading the good things I read about it here. It took me almost two months to finish it but it was worth it (I don't really have much time to read, I mostly read on my way home from work)

Now I think I'll read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell if I find it in my local library.

I'm glad you enjoyed 2666! :ubik:

This is where I am right now:

c3362.jpg

BrautiganTheAbortion.jpg

Todd_House_of_leaves.jpg

Thought I'd give this a try, based on word of mouth (except for Bobby's; sorry!!). Didn't take long for me to realize how TEDIOUS it gets. Blah.

I finished Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell a few days ago, it was definitely a very good book and even though it's over a thousand pages long it didn't feel long at all, it was very easy to read.

So far I haven't been disappointed by the recommendations I've taken from this thread. I wonder what to read next. Perhaps I'll read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The Perineum Falcon said:
Todd_House_of_leaves.jpg

Thought I'd give this a try, based on word of mouth (except for Bobby's; sorry!!). Didn't take long for me to realize how TEDIOUS it gets. Blah.
Yes, yes, yes. I'm glad we agree on this since before now I've been the only one I know of that didn't like it. Starts with a great, creepy concept, then focuses on a fucking tattoo artist with little to nothing to do with the backstory. Ultimately, payoff is extremely minimal for sitting through all the tedium.

Danielewski invented tedium. I've never been so bored. I still haven't finished it; haven't picked it up since the day I put it down, and (despite what some people have told me) i have NO INTEREST IN EVER READING ANOTHER WORD OF THIS TERRIBLE TERRIBLE BOOK.

The next book he writes should be called "Jissom", with a single page of splooge, since that's all anything he's done so far ever amounts to. Fuck this guy.

On a lighter note, I just finished:

c24048.jpg

*thumbs up*

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've been reading Neuromancer, the novel that started cyberpunk, and pretty much redefined scifi.

About half way through Wizards First Rule. After I finish it I will either contue the series, finish the Black Company books. I finished the First four dark tower books and got about 70 pages into the fifth and couldn't go on.

Fellmark said:
About half way through Wizards First Rule.
I tried this one not too long ago and I don't know how I managed to finish it. One of the most boring books I ever read. Right now I'm reading the second volume of A Song of Ice and Fire, so far I like it.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Staralfur said:
Right now I'm reading the second volume of A Song of Ice and Fire, so far I like it.
Very nice! I'm in the middle of the first one right now. I also picked up a little anthology thing with some Philip K. Dick novels in it, including Do Androids Dream of Electric Sleep and... Ubik! :ubik: :ubik:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Fellmark said:
I finished the First four dark tower books and got about 70 pages into the fifth and couldn't go on.
Walter said:
Wise move.

That's only a wise move in Wally's world, where's there's no such thing as a point of no return. You'd be a good poker player/better. =)

I say, if you're already four books and approximately 2,000 pages in, at least read book 7, it's worth it. It's got a lot more in common with the first four books (for better and worse, because those weren't faultless either) than 5 and 6, which were basically a useless side story, and worthless 400 page tease for book 7. I don't know what their purpose was, other than I guess King needed to get that out of his system before finishing. So, you won't miss anything, except the nadir of the series, and you'll at least get closure on your time invested. Book 7 isn't bad on its own merits either, it's naturally got direction and momentum, and in terms of general quality, I'd rank it somewhere between books 2/3 and 4.

Currently reading:

zeitoun.jpg

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
The Perineum Falcon said:

I don't remember what I've said about it, but that is a very boring book.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Attempting to read House of Leaves, again... this time it's personal!
Such a terrible Idea that was...

I remember you being pretty explicit on your distaste for the book and your reccommendations against it were quite strong, as well.

Oburi

All praise Grail
apdtpb.jpg

I think I'm going to start reading this. Anyone know if it's good? I hear it's one of the best AvP comics.

I have read some of the AvP novels from a while back. They are pretty good. They have a lot of good expansions on the Alien/Predator universe. But for that particular novel/comic I have no idea. Sorry. :griffnotevil:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Just finished A Clash of Kings, book 2 of A Song of Ice and Fire. Gonna start 3.... right when I'm done posting! After that I have 4! But then... :sad: at least Berserk has trained me for waiting. :griffnotevil:

Oh, and I love the series so far! It's said all the time, but GRRM really loves to kill off his characters.

I started on R.A. Salvatore's "Road of the Patriarch", it's ok, but kinda boring after Sapkowski's Witcher Series which was so fucking epic, English Editions are going to be available soon(first two books are published already), so don't miss it! Also I bought the game and it's pretty good according to reviews.

kaimera said:
Damn! Arkadi and Boris Strugatzki are damn good sci-fi authors! I'm currently reading their Maxim Kammerer Trilogy...EPIC!
Wow, never thought it was famous in Germany, I've got a lot of their books, but never actually started reading them. :guts:

Top Bottom