What are you reading?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Just finished A Storm of Swords, book 3 of A Song of Ice and Fire.
I didn't think they could make Jaime too sympathetic, also god damn! Killing off Robb and Catelyn in the same chapter? The Red Wedding was a bit much if you ask me and if Tyrion had also died in this book... :mozgus: I still somehow hoping the Hound shows up in book 4... but I doubt it.
So far I'd say my favorite characters have been Sansa because I thought her point of view was one of the most interesting, Tyrion, The Hound, and Jon Snow.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a huge fan of that series myself, but you certainly picked a good time to start reading it. The hype train for this painful misanthropic series is about to morph into a bullet train. DESTINATION? NERDZONE.

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think there's one character I like more than the others. They all have annoying flaws. And while I read the books quite a few years ago I can't say I'm a big fan of the series either. I think Martin's a good writer, but he's got bad tendencies.

Also I've been reading 2666 these days.

Dar Klink said:
I didn't think they could make Jaime too sympathetic, also god damn! Killing off Robb and Catelyn in the same chapter? The Red Wedding was a bit much if you ask me and if Tyrion had also died in this book... :mozgus: I still somehow hoping the Hound shows up in book 4... but I doubt it.
So far I'd say my favorite characters have been Sansa because I thought her point of view was one of the most interesting, Tyrion, The Hound, and Jon Snow.

I didn't read as far as you, I'm somewhere in the middle of book 3. I wouldn't pick Sansa as my favorite character, I find her much too annoying at times, but the other characters you mentionned are definitely among my favorites, especially Tyrion and The Hound.

Damn, I read your spoiler, I shoudn't have!!! :isidro:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Staralfur said:
I didn't read as far as you, I'm somewhere in the middle of book 3. I wouldn't pick Sansa as my favorite character, I find her much too annoying at times, but the other characters you mentionned are definitely among my favorites, especially Tyrion and The Hound.

Damn, I read your spoiler, I shoudn't have!!! :isidro:
I like Sansa a lot because I think she seems pretty stupid and dense, but in reality she knows a lot more than she even lets herself see. She also gets to have interactions with the King's Landing people.

I WARNED YOU ABOUT THOSE SPOILERS BRO
I *TOLD* YOU DAWG!

I see what you mean, but still, it seems to me that whenever she's offered a choice, she makes the stupid one, and whenever she can do something, she doesn't, and at length it gets irritating. That being said, I'm still waiting to see how she will evolve to forge a definite opinion of her.

As a young female character, I prefer Daenerys by far, she's got a strong evolution and is really interesting. Besides her point of view is quite unique as she is completely outside of Westeros, unlike all the other narrators. And I don't dislike Arya's personality either in a "straightforward tomboy pipsqueak" kinda way.

I know, that's what I get for letting my eyes wander where they shouldn't... :schnoz:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wow http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/09/dark-horse-to-resume-two-series/

After being on hiatus for god knows how long MPD psycho and Eden: it's and endless world are going to be released. Eden is truly a masterpiece and the only manga I followed besides Berserk fora while (before they stopped printing). I withheld from reading scans online for this reason and I'm so happy. Thank you Darkhorse!

If anyone enjoys serious science fiction manga that is almost Berserk explicit, read Eden. Parts of the story are better than others but the first four books in that series have got to be some of the best manga writing I've ever had the joy to read.

Konketsuji said:
Wow, never thought it was famous in Germany, I've got a lot of their books, but never actually started reading them. :guts:

It is not that famous. I took notice of them after watching movies by Andrej Tarkowski (master!). But a new revisioned collective edition is being published, it was cheap and good so i had to buy and read it! You should read the books. They are really really good.

kaimera said:
It is not that famous. I took notice of them after watching movies by Andrej Tarkowski (master!). But a new revisioned collective edition is being published, it was cheap and good so i had to buy and read it! You should read the books. They are really really good.
I guess I'll give it try someday, but I have a lot of books in my list so maybe in a couple of years. First of all, I'm planning to start on G. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire.

I'm reading Dune: Messiah.

I have to say that Dune so far seems to be my favorite book series. It has some really great character development. I think the saddest thing about the book is how the main character Paul constantly battles with himself to find some way to stop the god like worship of himself and trying to stop the Jihad that would sweep across the universe in his name. But failed in trying to stop it because even if he chose to die he would be hailed a martyr and the jihad would still continue.

P

Pez

Currently reading "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath and re-reading "The Magicians" By Lev Grossman. If anyone is interested in reading a more grown up story about how teenagers might really be when they are thrown into a world of magic, I really recommend "The Magicians." It is a fantastic book.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
GiantSpiderGoat said:
I'm reading Dune: Messiah.

I have to say that Dune so far seems to be my favorite book series. It has some really great character development.

Can't go wrong with Dune. The books written by Frank Herbert, that is. Don't waste your time on the rest.

I love how it's cold (as in the atmosphere or tone of the book) at the beginning and the story kind of reminded me of the movie - Equilibrium, but I'm sure it's a lot more and different. I can't wait to finish it!

Dar Klink said:

I finally finished book 3, and I just began book 4.
I don't worry too much about the Hound, it makes absolutely no doubt to me that Martin is not done with him. Also, it would be too lame an ending for such a character!

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
the story kind of reminded me of the movie - Equilibrium

Equilibrium relies heavily on 1984.

By the way, 1984 is an excellent read.

Me? I'm currently reading Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card, and The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I'm a huge DBZ fan! i grew up with the Goku N friends.

I just Found out about a Dragon Ball Z Manga made by a fan. It's called Dragon Ball Multiverse, ITS AWESOME, although its made by 2 Fans of the series, it looks just like Akira T's art style. (and they are French)

the story they made up is awesome:D its more like a Dragon Ball Z movie with so many Interesting Situations! DBM takes place right after DBZ ends. They Completely ignore GT exists, which is awesome, because quite frankly GT sucked ass and it had so many holes in the plot.

If you are a big fan of DBZ i suggest you give it a read. its still on-going.

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/chapters.html

and in a rare double-whammy, i found some awesome rock songs (artists) from the youtube videos of the chapters with the songs playing in the background.
I could never find the right type of rock songs that i liked (because i mainly listen to Indie Hip-hop), but the songs playing during the videos definitely peaked my interest :guts:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Currently reading Moby Dick; or The Whale.

Still reading: Moby Dick; or The Whale.
I intended on finishing it over my winter break, but didn't (because I forgot where I left it) so I finished American Gods and Julius Caser over the New Years weekend. Then, I got back home and realized I left it at my girlfriends (who had the book at her apartment), so I picked up and read, As I lay Dying, instead. Now that I have the book, I have less time to read it.

This book is turning out to be my own personal White Whale! :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I intended on finishing it over my winter break, but didn't (because I forgot where I left it) so I finished American Gods
So how lame was American Gods, in your opinion?

Top Bottom