What are you reading?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
So how lame was American Gods, in your opinion?

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the highest), 10.

I am pretty sure you were the one that recommended that book to me! :troll:

I read it, and felt that the ending was complete crap. I also felt that most of the characters were useless and served no purpose. Like Sam! What role did Sam have? I couldn't think of anything; yet, she certainly had plenty of pages dedicated to her bullshit! Also I like how there was no theme, I still think about what theme the book had and couldn't think of anything.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I am pretty sure you were the one that recommended that book to me! :troll:

I read it, and felt that the ending was complete crap. I also felt that most of the characters were useless and served no purpose. Like Sam! What role did Sam have? Yet she certainly had plenty of pages dedicated to her bullshit!
Pfff, maybe I did in like 2001 or something. Read Neverwhere. That's the book Gaiman will be remembered for.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Reading Destination: :void: right now. I love reading about the OMCs which are basically exposed human brains and thinking about... well you know who! I wanna read :slan: , :ubik: , ...And Call me (too lazy to find that Conrad test emote that I remember seeing at some point) as well.

Anybody else read these and try to attribute the naming of the God Hand to anything throughout the books?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Reading Destination: :void: right now. I love reading about the OMCs which are basically exposed human brains and thinking about... well you know who! I wanna read :slan: , :ubik: , ...And Call me (too lazy to find that Conrad test emote that I remember seeing at some point) as well.

Anybody else read these and try to attribute the naming of the God Hand to anything throughout the books?

I read them years ago, before I discovered Berserk. I always thought the connexion tangential at best.

Will soon start reading Neverwhere on Walter's recommendation.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Starting the Dune series. I don't read often, but I've heard it's good and I love me some sci-fi.

Just finishing up 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' and getting excited for my copy of 'The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 2)' by Patrick Rothfuss to come in!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I started reading George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four this morning on the bus ride to work. Now I can't wait until my lunch break so I can keep going. I'm so pissed they didn't have us read this in high school.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Rhombaad said:
I started reading George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four this morning on the bus ride to work. Now I can't wait until my lunch break so I can keep going. I'm so pissed they didn't have us read this in high school.
I know that feel man, I swear my high school skipped out on like half of what sounded awesome for... slavery era southern black stories. No Lord of the Flies, no Catcher in the Rye, and no Ender's Game(my sister got to read this sometime this year!) :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
no Ender's Game(my sister got to read this sometime this year!) :judo:

Hahaha well that's not a classic man, seriously. It's a neat story but comparing it to Nineteen Eighty-Four, Lord of the Flies or Catcher in the Rye is unseemly.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Been working my way through a Pulitzer-winning biography on Theodore Roosevelt for the past 2 weeks. It's refreshing to read about how one very extraordinary person can change the world without compromising himself along the way. I'm not sure that can happen these days.

It is excellent: http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Theodore-Roosevelt-Edmund-Morris/dp/1400069653/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302028987&sr=8-1

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Been working my way through a Pulitzer-winning biography on Theodore Roosevelt for the past 2 weeks. It's refreshing to read about how one very extraordinary person can change the world without compromising himself along the way. I'm not sure that can happen these days.

It is excellent: http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Theodore-Roosevelt-Edmund-Morris/dp/1400069653/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302028987&sr=8-1

Awesome, it'll be on my next order for sure!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Conan interviewed Edmund Morris the other day. It looks like a fascinating trilogy. I can't wait to read it myself.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Conan interviewed Edmund Morris the other day. It looks like a fascinating trilogy. I can't wait to read it myself.
Did he really? Wow, I'll have to check that out.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Rereading Child of God. The book is simply amazing; even thought I'm rereading the book it somehow still gives me the feeling that I'm reading a whole new book. There's just so much I didn't catch on my first read through. I highly recommend this book to any fan of Berserk!

Also, almost done Moby Dick! Not even close.

turkitage

ターク
Rhombaad said:
Catcher in the Rye is next on my list. :guts:

I really liked that book.

Currently reading: Thomas Campbell's My Big TOE (Theory of Everything)
Theory books seem to hold my interests lately, got a few chapters in. Enjoying it so far.

I'm about half way through Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared M. Diamond. It's been very interesting and informative so far.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Th3Branded0ne said:
I'm on chapter 9 , maybe I'll caught with you.

Some of the reading is just really long and tedious. And when they start talking about whaling (i mean they as when the book just starts lecturing you on whaling) you just want to put the book down.

Melville wrote this to separate the boys from the men. :farnese:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Nineteen Eighty-Four this morning on my break. Wow. This one is going to stay with me for some time. Reading the book was both painful and enjoyable. While reading Part III
(Winston's capture, torture and reconversion)
, I found my hands shaking every now and then. It was so horrifying and real, and yet not dated in the least, despite the novel having been published in 1949.

In an effort to escape depression (at least for a little while), I think I'm going to reread Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos next, after which I'll delve back into the classics, like Catcher in the Rye.

Top Bottom