What are you reading?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished reading Children of Dune last night and started God Emperor of Dune.

I take back a lot of the things I said about Frank Herbert's writing. As I said earlier in the thread, I think it was my frustration at the lack of my own understanding of his writing than anything wrong with the writing itself. As I continued with Children of Dune, I did my best to read it in quiet places with few distractions, so that I could focus my entire concentration on reading it and understanding its content.

Despite the difficulties I had with the book, I really enjoyed reading it, and am looking forward to rereading the series after I finish Chapterhouse: Dune, in order to understand Herbert's exciting, imaginative world even more.

I just finished Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall. Once I started reading it I couldn't stop until I finished it.

I'm very close to the end of The Great Dune Trilogy which includes Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune (I'm getting some good reading suggestions on this thread :serpico:)

Next I'll be reading The Night Visitor and Other Stories by B. Traven, which includes a story I like a lot called Macario.

Picked up the Red Dwarf Omnibus containing Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers & Better Than Life I loved the sitcom as a kid, so far only a few chapters in but the writing is spot on, and I love how much depth is given to the universe and characters.

My current reading block is split between the following: HP Lovecrafts Necronomicon , Friedrich Nietzsches Thus Spoke Zarathustra , Sir Thomas Malorys Le morte d'arthur , and George R.R. Martins A Song of Ice & Fire Books (Re-Read).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm reading a collection of stories called Wool on Kindle. It's dirt cheap and not bad at all so far (I'm half-way through).

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Currently reading Lights in August. I've read and enjoyed some of his other stories (As I Lay Dying, The Sound and the Fury, and Barn Burning) so I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it.

I have also finished The Inferno, Ten Little Indians by Sherman Alexie, and Drown by Junot Diaz. I recommend Drown it's really good.

I just finished reading Think of a Number by Josh Verdon. I really liked it, was glued to the pages and went through it in very few sittings. I recommend it to anyone that wants to read a good (and pretty original IMHO) thriller/mystery.

My pal lent me American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I used to read growing up but lost track as years passed by and it felt like I couldn't keep up with the literary world, but that excuse will always stay and I decided to do something about it, make a start somehow and this is it. I hope to be consistent in my reads and will look to this topic for your recommendations ^_^. Finished the 1st chapter, decent so far.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
My pal lent me American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I used to read growing up but lost track as years passed by and it felt like I couldn't keep up with the literary world, but that excuse will always stay and I decided to do something about it, make a start somehow and this is it. I hope to be consistent in my reads and will look to this topic for your recommendations ^_^. Finished the 1st chapter, decent so far.
American Gods isn't bad. But I liked Neverwhere quite a bit more.

I've been looking for some good, fairly gritty, dark, fantasy to read. After failing at a starting a few series, I just started The Blade Itself (The First Law: Book One), by Joe Abercrombie. So far, I'm enjoying it. We'll see how it goes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I should have mentioned that I've been reading Stephen King's 11/22/1963. Good so far, some interesting time travel ideas. But man, King's style really gets under my skin sometimes. His dialogue has always seemed extremely unnatural to me.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Chapterhouse: Dune about a week ago and started reading A Game of Thrones, which I'm really enjoying so far. Finishing The Dune Chronicles is always sad, but it's nice to dream about what might have been. They're such good books, and I highly recommend fans of Sci-Fi check them out ASAP.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
I should have mentioned that I've been reading Stephen King's 11/22/1963. Good so far, some interesting time travel ideas. But man, King's style really gets under my skin sometimes. His dialogue has always seemed extremely unnatural to me.

Agreed. I try to steer away from listening to a writer's voice, because then all I can do is read the characters in the voice.

A while ago I finished reading Ernest Cline's Ready Player One, highly recommended book for anyone who has not read it. Right now reading Preacher's Gone o Texas.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Joe Chip said:
I bought The name of the Wind a few days ago. I haven't started it yet but it's supposed to be really good. I can't wait to find out.
I really enjoyed it, particularly the way magic works in that world. And of course the main character, who's unlike most fantasy leads.

Yeah, i remember when you guys mentioned it one of the skullcasts. To tell you the truth it's one of the reasons that i decided to pick it up.

I really liked Name of the Wind. Do you guys know when the 3rd book is set to release? I've been reading the First Law series by Joe Abercrombie and am really enjoying it as well (about 1/2 way through book 2).

Top Bottom