What are you reading?

Lawliet said:
I'm thinking of starting The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Got the first book. Anyone read that?
I loved the Dresden files. Action packed and good story telling. The first books are kinda rough but it gets better over time. Don't really expect anything mind blowing but i bet you will enjoy them.
I just finished The Martian, i saw that a movie was being made and i had heard that the book was amazing. I got it for a Christmas present so i dove right into it. I frigging loved it, if you like sci fi definitely check this book out.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finally finished reading Live and Let Die, and started reading Ulysses by James Joyce, which is awesome so far. :guts:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Rhombaad said:
I finally finished reading Live and Let Die, and started reading Ulysses by James Joyce, which is awesome so far. :guts:

I read Ulysses during my undergraduate. I wasn't particularly impressed because I felt that Joyce was trying to be obscure because he could. However, if you're into big works of modernist literature, you need to read The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann. I've read that book twice and purchased a companion to it. It's well worth the read.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Had a long 13 hour round trip drive a couple weeks ago, so I bought Dune on audio book (first time I've ever done that and I'm not convinced it's for me, since it's really easy to zone out or miss what was said) and I really enjoyed it for the most part. I found Herbert's prose to be a little too repetitive, and the time skips were mildly confusing when they occurred, but that may be more due to the presentation.

I was already quite familiar with the story since I grew up watching the 1984 movie (and even if it's an abomination, it will always hold a special place in my heart because of nostalgia), but I never had an interest in learning more about the series. Now that I've experienced the novel and all the world building it has offered, my interest has been immensely piqued. I imagine the next step would be to get into Dune Messiah, but I've heard things start to get pretty weird later on, and I don't know if I really want to bother with the stories written by Herbert's son or other authors.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
I found Herbert's prose to be a little too repetitive, and the time skips were mildly confusing when they occurred

thumbdown.gif

Delta Phi said:
but that may be more due to the presentation.

Must be! :azan:

Delta Phi said:
I was already quite familiar with the story since I grew up watching the 1984 movie (and even if it's an abomination, it will always hold a special place in my heart because of nostalgia), but I never had an interest in learning more about the series. Now that I've experienced the novel and all the world building it has offered, my interest has been immensely piqued. I imagine the next step would be to get into Dune Messiah, but I've heard things start to get pretty weird later on, and I don't know if I really want to bother with the stories written by Herbert's son or other authors.

The later books in the series (by Frank Herbert) aren't as great as Dune, but they're still pretty damn good. Don't bother with what the son did though.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I actually picked Dune up not too long ago and made it about thirty pages. I'll get back to it eventually, but having three kids makes it difficult to read more than a few pages at a time!

Also, not so much reading, but I've been listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and it's awesome.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I gave up on Ulysses months ago. I tried to prep for it by reading Dubliners, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and The Odyssey, but I lost interest near the end of Dubliners. The writing was excellent, I just lost interest in the stories being told, so I turned to a favorite author of mine: Dan Simmons. I've read Song of Kali and Carrion Comfort. Now I'm taking a break from Simmons and reading The Walking Dead Compendium Three.

I finished Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell last month and felt the book was a lot more complex, extensive and better than the TV adaptation. It took me a little longer to finish because of the language and footnotes. I was almost curious to re-watch the TV show just when I finished the book, but I needed a break from that world. Most of my reading is now on the go while I'm traveling in the subway and on two separate occasions, this couple once and a girl the other time, asked how I was liking the book.

Kafka was a thickish book and coming off Jonathan Strange, I wanted something light I could read quick. I'm about 50ish pages from finishing A Wild Sheep Chase. Midway I realized it's a prequel to Dance, Dance, Dance I'd read last year. The main protagonist is recently divorced and works with a buddy of his in an advertising company. An old friend by the name 'Rat' reconnects with him, giving him a photo of a pasture with sheep to use for his publication at any time he wishes to. Throw in a girl with a 6th sense and amazing ears + an old dying man's quest for sheep and you're all set for the wild sheep chase.

I really liked Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series years ago. The last one I read came out over 10 years ago. I didn't realize he had another book for the series in 2014 called Clariel and now a new one will be released this year in October called Goldenhand. I'm really excited to catch back up with this series! :guts:

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Just finished the Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien. Now just starting The Children of Húrin by him as well. Very good reads.

GiantSword Mufasa said:
I just finished Giganto Maxia. Man it was awesome. I would love to spend more time in that universe. Has there been any chatter about another GM book?

Yes it's great indeed, and yes miura said that he'd like to come back to it one day so who knows

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished reading The Walking Dead: Compendium Three, read Summer of Night and am in the middle of reading Children of the Night. It's been tough getting through it, though, because I'm in the middle of writing a novel myself. Every time I sit down to read, I feel guilty about not writing. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Feeblecursedone said:
Necronomicon- collection of H.P. Lovecraft stories. Currently reading Herbert West- Reanimator.

Nice! There's some really great stuff among his stories and those he inspired (some mediocre stuff as well, but who cares).

il capitano

rough translation: "the capitano"
Eluvei said:
Finished John Williams' Stoner

i love stoner. what'd you make of it?

started geoff dyer's out of sheer rage last night. not quite what i was expecting, didn't realize it was going to read so much like a novel. not sure i'm going to be quite as into this as everyone else i know was.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Just picked this up at the Post Office. Haven't read it since it started coming out a few years ago. Gonna start now! :ubik:

xd4y2b3.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DANGERDOOOOM said:
Just picked this up at the Post Office. Haven't read it since it started coming out a few years ago. Gonna start now! :ubik:

It'll be fun to read it all in one sitting. Reading it episodically, I felt it was too much of a slow build for a 7-part miniseries, but by the end I was satisfied. I particularly like Prome and her relationship with Delos. There's a lot with them that's reminiscent of Guts and Schierke, though Delos is more akin to a bizarro Guts.

You might also be interested in the podcasts we recorded around that time, where we reviewed each issue as they came out. It's Eps 38-44.

I just finished Hanns and Rudolf: The True Story of the German Jew Who Tracked Down and Caught the Kommandant of Auschwitz, by Thomas Harding. I read the second half of the book in one sitting because I just couldn't put it down.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
It'll be fun to read it all in one sitting. Reading it episodically, I felt it was too much of a slow build for a 7-part miniseries, but by the end I was satisfied. I particularly like Prome and her relationship with Delos. There's a lot with them that's reminiscent of Guts and Schierke, though Delos is more akin to a bizarro Guts.

You might also be interested in the podcasts we recorded around that time, where we reviewed each issue as they came out. It's Eps 38-44.

I'm glad you reminded me because I also just ordered that and will be reading it for the first time as well. Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned before but have you guys considered doing a podcast for the other two one offs that Miura was a part of, Japan and King of Wolves?

Top Bottom