Dream Voice cast for U.S. Berserk anime

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
I've thought about this for a bit as I wanted to make the best cast I could make. I know some of these guys are dead but as the name of the thread says it's a "dream voice cast".

Guts- Paul Levasque aka HHH
Hardest one to cast. I'm flexible with this choice but hearing him talk and hearing some of Guts' dialog in his voice made it work for me. But I'm not married to the Idea.

Griffith- Ralph Finnes (English Patient, Avengers)
His voice comes off as very polite, educated and confident. Again I'm not married on the Idea but I can do much worse than him.

Casca- Dana DeLaney (Voice of Lois Lane)
Can be convincing as a strong female leader barking orders and still come off as a vulnerable woman.

Skull Knight- Boris Karloff (Frankenstein)
Hearing his normal voice can command attention and respect with a touch of nobility. Just do an echo effect on his voice and you've got him.

Void- Christopher Lee (Dracula, Hammer films)
He is my perfect casting choice. He's menacing yet dignified and can command everyones attention. I personally would LOVE to see that. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Slann- Angelina Jole (Tomb Raider, Gia)
She can sound seductive yet errie at the same time. A very odd combination.

Conrad- Doesn't really matter

Ublik- Jeffery Combs (House on Haunted Hill, Re-animator)
If you know this gut he has a creepy yet talkative voice. He's very good at weird people.

Zoddo- Clancy Brown (Highlander, Starship Troopers)
I'm thinking of him as the Kurgen and I think that would fit him very well. Besides he's a skilled voice actor (Lex Luthor, Magneto etc.) I've also had the idea of using Mark Calloway AKA "The Undertaker" but his southern accent comes up every now and then.

Corkus- Danny Devito (TAXI, Lots of stuff)
He's loud and abnoxious on film. It works well with Corkus. Imagine DeVito calling Guts an Idiot for leaving the Hawks. it works.

Idea- Orson Wells (Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil)
He did the Voice of Unicron. He has that BOOM in his voice that God should have. I always liked the Idea of having a Male and Female voice speaking in unison. But Orson wells voice would overshadow anyone he's paired up with.

The King- Frank Langella (Dracula, The Ninth Gate)
He can be the strong noble King or the Insane King. He can pull off both.

The Count- Gary Oldman (Dracula- again with Dracula, JFK)
Besides being able to play anyone He's good at playing straight out evil.

Vargas- Donald Pleasence (Halloween, Escape from NY)
Besides actually looking like him he can pull off that Count type attitude and voice. He's gold.

Serpico- David Spade (SNL, Joe DIrt, Just Shoot Me)
I know Spade is known as the Sarcasm King but with restaint he could do it justice.

Farneez- Kirsten Duntz (Interview with a vampire)
She needs to sound like a young lady who can act frustrated and confused.

Snake Baron- Christopher Walken (King of NY, Suicide Kings)
He can play a really cool snake baron. His voice would add so much character to a simple B-grade apostle.

Mosguz- James Earl Jones (The holy Trilogy, Conan)
I'm thinking about the time he played a religious leader in conan. He has the hypnotic voice and pressence to due the character justice.

Silat- Oded Fehr (Mummy, Deuce Bigelow)
He can give that aggressive warrior vocal performance like the way he dd in the Mummy. Besides his voice can make Silat not look like a Guts punching bag.

Foss- Peter Cushing (Star Wars, Hammer Movies)
Peter Cushing can play a royal snob like in like 2 seconds. He'd make the conspiracy theory aspect (trying to hide his real motives) seem realistic (Think of his Dr. Frankenstein Role).

These are all the ones I can think off right now. I really love the Christopher Lee idea. He rules! ;D

biggerthanzodd

mmm...banana
That's an alright list, but here are a few corrections.

Gutts- Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead)
Griffith- Anthony Andrews(Sir Percy Blakeney of the 1982 made for TV version of The Scarlet Pimpernel)
Casca- Fran Drescher (The Nanny)
Skull Knight- Aha! He's not in the anime, so that's a freebie.
Zodd- George Buza (The voice of Beast from the X-Men animated cartoon series)
Snake Baron- Christopher Walken would indeed be perfect
Corkus- Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny)
Judeau- Owen Wilson (Bottle Rocket)

That's about it, the perfect cast.

its a 50-50 chance that the woman who dubbed Faye for the english version of Bebop will voice Casca. im also assuming that the VA for both Spike and Jet will find themselves in the series as well...

Kenoh-Sama

That's an alright list, but here are a few corrections.

Gutts- Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead)
Griffith- Anthony Andrews(Sir Percy Blakeney of the 1982 made for TV version of The Scarlet Pimpernel)
Casca- Fran Drescher (The Nanny)
Skull Knight- Aha! He's not in the anime, so that's a freebie.
Zodd- George Buza (The voice of Beast from the X-Men animated cartoon series)
Snake Baron- Christopher Walken would indeed be perfect
Corkus- Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny)
Judeau- Owen Wilson (Bottle Rocket)

That's about it, the perfect cast.

Fran Drescher? I'd pay to see her get beat up. What an annoying voice. I thought my mothers was bad. >:(

Kenoh-Sama

i guess the perfect cast for caska would be Halle Berry

To bad Halle Barry sounds horrible ("The Richmans Wife" or whatever. Makes shatner sound like Malkovich). She looks the part tho. That's why I brought up the voice acting angle. Gives you more room to pick and choose.

Just because Halle Berry somewhat resembles Casca doesn't mean she should be the VA. When will people get over that? If such were the case, I'd want Stephen Hawking to play Guts. Come on, people :)

CnC

Ad Oculos
i just saw the dub for bebop.. it wasn't too bad...

i'm wondering... assuming we HAVE to hear the same voices again, which roles should they play?
Guts = Jet 's VA
Griffith = Spike 's VA

keep in mind i've only seen 1 and a half episodes of the dub

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
How about we just assassinate whoever attempts to dub Berserk? I know I for one, am not even going to use the dub track, other than for comedic purposes.

im most likely gonna try to listen to the dub for the entire series. if its good enough, i may show my friends who absolutely hate subs (and anime, for that matter), just to show em what the hell ive been into for the past year and a half...

Kenoh-Sama

i just saw the dub for bebop.. it wasn't too bad...

i'm wondering... assuming we HAVE to hear the same voices again, which roles should they play?
Guts = Jet 's VA
Griffith = Spike 's VA

keep in mind i've only seen 1 and a half episodes of the dub

Honest to GOD I hate the Bebop dubb. Spike is a LAZY, lazy character. He sounds lazy in the japanese version. In english he sounds to straight up heroic. Jet sounds like a monster. They over exaggerate the voices too much. All Bandai dubbs SUCK!!! People seem to forget that in Gundam wing the Pilots are 14 years old!!! Yet they sound like 30 year olds. Manga Entertainment dubbs are not bad (their recent efforts anyway).

biggerthanzodd

mmm...banana
There's no reason such inflammatory terms should be used on the Bandai dub of Cowboy Bebop. The acting was some of the best in American dubbing, which has had a pretty rocky history but is making great strides at the moment. David Lucas's low gritty voice conveys both the world-weary and light-hearted sides of Spike with equal ease and consideration, and Spike would be unfairly and over-simplistically characterized as just lazy anyway. Jet's voice was colorful and suited his character as well as the Japanese did. Even Ed's voice, though initially irritating, developed into an essential element of the series, much like Ed herself. I can understand to an extent why a purist would prefer the original language track, but there is no reason to hate the 'Bebop dub. Concerning the Gundam dubs, I couldn't say. Perhaps there are certain cultural differences that would make fourteen-year-old giant robot pilots less believable than any other age of giant robot pilots here in America.

Kenoh-Sama

There's no reason such inflammatory terms should be used on the Bandai dub of Cowboy Bebop. The acting was some of the best in American dubbing, which has had a pretty rocky history but is making great strides at the moment. David Lucas's low gritty voice conveys both the world-weary and light-hearted sides of Spike with equal ease and consideration, and Spike would be unfairly and over-simplistically characterized as just lazy anyway. Jet's voice was colorful and suited his character as well as the Japanese did. Even Ed's voice, though initially irritating, developed into an essential element of the series, much like Ed herself. I can understand to an extent why a purist would prefer the original language track, but there is no reason to hate the 'Bebop dub. Concerning the Gundam dubs, I couldn't say. Perhaps there are certain cultural differences that would make fourteen-year-old giant robot pilots less believable than any other age of giant robot pilots here in America.

No Spike is lazy. His has depth but he is lazy. The reason I bring up the lazy aspect is because he sounds lazy in the Japanese version. He's dosen't have a gritty voice. That's my point- He doesn't HAVE a gritty voice. By changing his voice people are given a different impression of what he actually is. I know Spikes character inside and out so I know what I'm talking about. The fact that this outwardly lazy guy has this other side to him is what makes him fascinating. That's part of his charm. He started the whole laid back, lazy main character trend! From that point on most characters followed the Spike mold. Spike is the lazier, bored version of Isamu from macross plus (I bring up macross plus because the same director worked on it. Besides it has a lot of things in common with Bebop but that's for another board) And yes the Dubb sucks. The dubb doesn't fit Spike or Jet. Those are the only ones I have a problem with. They add lines that don't need to be there. By doing so they ruin the moment. Normally I don't have that big a problem with mediocre dubbs but when you add a dubb like that to a 5 star series like bebop then the Dubb looks worse and ends up bringing the series down a peg. I can only hope that they do not mess up Jin-Roh (the best voice acting I ever heard- Anywhere). I'm begging them not to drop the ball on Jin-Roh. Because if they did they would have ruined a master peice :'(.

There's no reason such inflammatory terms should be used on the Bandai dub of Cowboy Bebop.
Well, I'm afraid I agree with Kenoh-Sama... I really couldn't stand the English dub. Jet's voice was... well, OK, I guess, but the other characters... Ugh.
The acting was some of the best in American dubbing,
... but that's not saying much. ^^;
which has had a pretty rocky history but is making great strides at the moment.
Don't tell me you're thinking about the Metal Gear Solid dubs... ^^;
I really can't understand why so many people consider those dubs too are "excellent". They're awful, in my humble opinion. Maybe better than most dubs, but still awful. David Hayter? Ha.

Don't tell me you're thinking about the Metal Gear Solid dubs... ^^;
I really can't understand why so many people consider those dubs too are "excellent". They're awful, in my humble opinion. Maybe better than most dubs, but still awful. David Hayter? Ha.

the creator/director (whats his name?) actually thought the English VA's were excellent and i think they released either the VR missions with the English VA's or they re-released it in Japan with them...cant remember which, if either. i sometimes have this problem of thinking something was said when it really wasnt.... :-/

biggerthanzodd

mmm...banana
I'm still having trouble seeing Spike as lazy. I might go so far as to say the opposite, that he was restless, with all the walking in circles he does in the ship, martial arts practice, fidgiting with his fingers with cigarettes or sleights of hand. And, true, the smooth drawl that Spike has in the Japanese audio track would usually denote a lazy talker in English, but I think it's used to give Spike a calm and self-assured air. I am not an authority on the manga, however, so if that's where you're getting your characterization from I can't really argue, though it would also make extrapolating those characteristics to the American dub series less useful.
I've never played Metal Gear Solid, I was really remembering the dubs I used to watch when I was younger-- Maya the Bee, and who could forget Min Mei sings on Robotech. I think we'll all agree we've made strides.
To add a little credibility to my posts, I retract the suggestion that Fran Drescher would make a good Caska. It was a joke in bad taste.

the creator/director (whats his name?)
Kojima Hideo.
actually thought the English VA's were excellent
English voices sound "cool" to a lot of Japanese people. They think it sounds "Hollywood-like" (and I guess that's kinda of satisfying for a Japanese game maker). That's why you have Japanese releases of "international versions" like Macross Plus, or English voices in Japanese games like Devil May Cry.
But that certainly doesn't mean the dubbing _is_ good, unfortunately...
and i think they released either the VR missions with the English VA's or they re-released it in Japan with them...
That was Metal Gear Solid Integral, as well as the reason I know the English dub and hate it.

I really don't see how the Cowboy Bebop dub is bad. The English voices seem to be a good equivalent. If you don't like the tweaking of the original dialog as far as content, that I can understand, but the characters' voices were done pretty well imo. It should be interesting to hear Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust because the original voices are in English.

To add a little credibility to my posts, I retract the suggestion that Fran Drescher would make a good Caska. It was a joke in bad taste.
Thank you. :)

I really don't see how the Cowboy Bebop dub is bad. The English voices seem to be a good equivalent. If you don't like the tweaking of the original dialog as far as content, that I can understand, but the characters' voices were done pretty well imo.
A post I agree with:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=76vl7t4divjb7md68v7mmarib50roopgjq@4 ax.com&output=gplain
It should be interesting to hear Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust because the original voices are in English.
But the director and the original text were probably Japanese, so...
(and there was Shiozawa in the Japanese version... probably one of his last roles...)

Kenoh-Sama

I'm still having trouble seeing Spike as lazy. I might go so far as to say the opposite, that he was restless, with all the walking in circles he does in the ship, martial arts practice, fidgiting with his fingers with cigarettes or sleights of hand. And, true, the smooth drawl that Spike has in the Japanese audio track would usually denote a lazy talker in English, but I think it's used to give Spike a calm and self-assured air. I am not an authority on the manga, however, so if that's where you're getting your characterization from I can't really argue, though it would also make extrapolating those characteristics to the American dub series less useful.
    I've never played Metal Gear Solid, I was really remembering the dubs I used to watch when I was younger-- Maya the Bee, and who could forget Min Mei sings on Robotech. I think we'll all agree we've made strides.

I see your point. But still Spike (at least in the japanese version) comes off lazy. When I say lazy I don't mean it to be such a negative thing. It's fun to see. It's not the "Dude" level of laziness (Big Lebowski) so it's not over done or anything. He's a fun character because of his depth. Lazy and smiling on the outside yet hurting on the inside because he knows he's running from his past.

Thank you for your Fran Drescher retraction. :)

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Don't tell me you're thinking about the Metal Gear Solid dubs... ^^;  I really can't understand why so many people consider those dubs too are "excellent". They're awful, in my humble opinion. Maybe better than most dubs, but still awful. David Hayter? Ha.

It wasn't David Hayter that grated on me personally.  David's gruffness sounded kinda fake, but it made Snake fun.  I just couldn't stand Cam Clarke's British accent. ^_^;  He's a great voice actor... who can forget his Leonardo? =)  but he just wasn't right for the part.  (And coincidentally, he just wasn't right for the part as Puck in Sword of the Berserk either >_<)

It should be interesting to hear Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust because the original voices are in English.
But the director and the original text were probably Japanese, so...
(and there was Shiozawa in the Japanese version... probably one of his last roles...)

Indeed... I didn't know the Japanese dubbing for the new Vampire Hunter D was performed so early on in the project o_o

How strange that Shiozawa would come up though, considering he voiced the Ninja in Metal Gear Solid. *ahem* =)

I would've liked to hear him do a voice in Berserk, were they to continue the series... alas that's not possible now, may he rest in peace.  I could picture him as Silatt, or maybe Locus or one of Griffith's other badasses...

Which makes me want to start up another thread... *redirects himself to creating a new topic*

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Why? It's like Anthony Hopkins playing Zorro. I don't see it.
Just look at Zodd’s face when he stops Guts from cleaving Griffith in Volume 22, his, dialogue throughout the series, remember the fear he instilled, and don’t forget when he was examining his life in volume 17. Imagine how his dialogue would sound in some burly growly snarl of a voice, just like any other dumb tough guy in the series; the ridiculous kind Guts kills all the time, Zodd should be different. I imagine Zodd sounding twisted, fierce, and evil, but just like you described Karloff, he should also command attention and respect with a touch of nobility. I think Sir Anthony Hopkins could pull this off in spades.

-Griffith

Top Bottom