Cannibalism

puella

Berserk forever
I think Cannibalism is one of important factors to lead us to devilish rite in the manga.
Once one gets possessed, he or she(yet never shown) always shows that cannibalism in berserk. Even Guts tried to eat Caska in the recent chapter.
what's that meaning for?
In ancient China, "eating" some parts of enemy's body was taken as a way to complete his or her revenge as far as I know.
but I don't know exactly what Cannibalism means in the West.
Is it an extreme madness or a way to be like evil one?
If there is anything of the cannibalism to be related to bersek,
let me know.

I think that in some native american tribes it was believed that cannibalism can augment a person's strengths. (ie. you eat a smart person's brain it makes you smarter) However, it seems like the Chinese interpretation would make more sense as far as berserk is concerned.

Personally, I think that if anything cannibalism represents extreme savagery and total disreguard of human life. It's sort of like saying "I'm higher on the food chain....BITCH!" Oh well, that's just my take on cannibalism in Berserk.

CnC

Ad Oculos
"cannabalism in the west" is generally looked on as a bad thing :)

but seriously.  people consider it something that only animals do and is beneith humanity.  Therefore seeing it is symbolic of a return to primalcy in its lowest form.

I think this is true in berserk, as the only people eating one another are those possessed people who seem to lack all humanity (or reason, for that matter).

I think that in some native american tribes it was believed that cannibalism can augment a person's strengths. (ie. you eat a smart person's brain it makes you smarter)
I remember reading something about an experiment with worms in a labyrinth, or something to that effect... They gave worms that memorized their way out of a labyrinth to eat to other worms. And those other worms found their way out a lot faster than the previous ones. ^_^;;;

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
I think Cannibalism is one of important factors to lead us to devilish rite in the manga.
Once one gets possessed, he or she(yet never shown) always shows that cannibalism in berserk. Even Guts tried to eat Caska in the recent chapter.
what's that meaning for?
In ancient China, "eating" some parts of enemy's body was taken as a way to complete his or her revenge as far as I know.
but I don't know exactly what Cannibalism means in the West.
Is it an extreme madness or a way to be like evil one?
If there is anything of the cannibalism to be related to bersek,
let me know.

Love your new Icon by the way. When I think of cannibalism I can not help but think of Zombies. They have this instinct that propels them to eat. Reminds me of a scene from Day of the Dead when they removed this one zombies stomach, his entire chest cavity was empty. Yet when "Dr. Frankenstein"( A pet name they gave the local quack) put his hand infront of the zombies mouth it tried to bite it even tho' it had no stomach or no reason to eat. It's that survival primal instinct to eat. Eat to live. I see it from that point of view. Is it evil? I lean more to the "No" side of it. Is it socially unacceptable and grotesque? Yeah. But it's all about survival. It's a complete lack of human senses and behavior (or conditioning if you want to go that route). I can't classify that as evil because the scenes in berserk the cannibals are not in their right mind (example book 19 or 20 when the village went berserk we saw a nun with a child and the next scene the nun grotesquely changes and begins eating the child. Clearly she lost control of her mind and body).

The pagan people who were eating the baby soup (book 18 I think. The big orgy volume) we're I think in control of their actions. That I see as evil. I don't think that can be justified in any rational way.

puella

Berserk forever
Love your new Icon by the way.
thank you ^_^;;. It's my former icon Sally's apostle form.

Actually, I think cannibalism is rare conception in the East.
As I said before, they ate human being's flesh in ancient China or other countries(including my country) but that was quite different from cannibalism.
I've met a lot of pictures which describe the hell and cannibalism is quite often shown in them. Especially the pictures drawn in Middle Age when Christianity dominated. I remember some guys
say on this board that Miura refers to many grotesque pictures.
So cannibalism reminds me of the hell.
Furthurmore it is against Christianity in Middle Age, IMHO.
It might be a possible thought Miura takes cannibalism as dual material which implies
"extreme madness" as well as " a means to describe those who are against the religion in Middle Age".

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
(example book 19 or 20 when the village went berserk we saw a nun with a child and the next scene the nun grotesquely changes and begins eating the child. Clearly she lost control of her mind and body).

it was number 20. Was she a nun or the boys mother?

or another point [non-Berserk] in Twisted Metal: Black
when Mr,Grimm was capture in nam he was forced to cannibalism his dead friend [after 5 days i guess] he really had no choice but take me for instence if i was going to get paid a million for each one of you i eat you better run and hide ^__-
dave

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
When I think of cannibalism I can not help but think of Zombies. They have this instinct that propels them to eat. Reminds me of a scene from Day of the Dead when they removed this one zombies stomach, his entire chest cavity was empty. Yet when "Dr. Frankenstein"( A pet name they gave the local quack) put his hand infront of the zombies mouth it tried to bite it even tho' it had no stomach or no reason to eat. It's that survival primal instinct to eat. Eat to live. I see it from that point of view. Is it evil? I lean more to the "No" side of it. Is it socially unacceptable and grotesque? Yeah. But it's all about survival.
I totally agree, funny that our opinion of Griffith and his actions are so different. By the way, all hail Bub!

In Berserk, I think that as well as representing evil, cannibalism also symbolizes an animalistic quality; it reinforces the idea that they are no longer human, almost as if it's not really cannibalism. It brings to mind Apostles, especially the way they feed on people at the ceremonies.  Also, didn’t the Beast of Shadow refer to Caska as just a sacrifice for Griffith, and suggest that Guts kill her?  Soon after, he’s possessed and tries to eat her…coincidence?

-Griffith

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
bub4s.jpg

This is Bub, and if you can't tell already, he’s one zombie you do not want to fuck with!​

-Griffith

P.S. He could drop one of those Resident Evil fancy boys, with their sissy auto-aim and retarded zombies too stupid to open doors, in about the time it takes to say, “Hot shit! That zombie has a gun!”

And he knows how to shave. ;D

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Ohhh Zombie movies... *basks in warm nostalgic glow* My very first love. Long live Euro Thrash cinema!

But... speaking of Zombies with guns. All I can tell you is to go and watch Versus. *laughs* THERE you have some Zombies!

But Bob is cool. *nods* damnit, made me want to watch that movie again...

Cannibalism. Hmmm, can't it simply be the usual corruption of the catholic rites? This is my body, this is my blood... only literally. Since Miura bases so much om medevial witchery, that seems rather likely. That was usually one of the accusations against the witches.

Worms: Yeah, I remeber that experiment. It was done with 'ringmask', don't know the english term for the worm. There were two ways out of the labyrinth, one was electrified and killed them, the other had food. The worms that were electrified died, and were fed to other worms. In the end most worms chose the safe path. A nice argument for genetic memory there...

Kenoh-Sama

Yup Day of the dead. Great movie. He's a somewhat housebroken zombie. Bub. A failed attempt at using zombies as these... I can't quite remember. Think Planet of the apes in how they wanted to use the apes as servants or something. Needless to say it failed! Greatest Zombie feast I'd ever seen! Zombie (Italian flick) is bad ass to!

ZEIG BUB!

wunwong

NOw...To gEt mY hANds uNstUcK.....
I am personally all for Cannibalism....as a method of population control. We will run out of room on this planet eventually, and there is only one natural enemy for mankind...us. Anyways, cannibalism means too many things to different cultures to quantify. Many primitive cultures uses it as a means of 'capturing' the strength of the eaten, and quite few developed ritualistic cannibalism because their normal protein in take is low enough that it makes a difference in their survivability. Other do so to show repsect, or to 'preserve' the spirit of the dead. Sure, wanton cannibalism would seem like some sorta animalistic act, but so would a mad man who eats cream pie in a frenzy non stop even through plastic wrappings ;D Ditto for a men jumping up and down on a bag of Ketchup. The reason it looks so nasty/evil to us is because we adhorred the sight of blood and flesh normally. I don't think the pagan were evil to eat the baby.....they could be evil if they murdered it just for a snack, but not for its consumption. I think that Miura have uses it to demonstrate opposition to the church when the people do it consciously, and to demonstrate madness and HUNGER for sustenance when they went mad...after all, virtually every one in the story is mal-nutritioned spiritually, and what better way to get at that spark of the divine then chewing your way there? ;)

puella

Berserk forever
a lot of interesting posts to me!! :)
Well, actually I'm so sorry that cannibalism in berserk stops me from eating snack(especially hamburger) while I am reading the manga.
because eating and reading is my favorite thing. :p

Kenoh-Sama

a lot of interesting posts to me!! :)
Well, actually I'm so sorry that cannibalism in berserk stops me from eating snack(especially hamburger) while I am reading the manga.
because eating and reading is my favorite thing. :p

MMMmmm.... Hamburger....  :p :p :p

Actually besides cannibalism some in series seem extremly strong sexual appetite. Eating and Sexual behavior seem rampant in those pagan festivals. Since they are each primal reflexes and instict it makes sense that one would go with the other. Thoughts?

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Cannibalism sucks.
Makes you go nuts...I still remeber the headaches I had from my roomate after I cooke...ehm, I mean, eer, when we cooked breakfast....heheh ;D

Zombies. Oh them.
They're real. But they're worthless unless you're really stupid to get caught.
But the pic is great.
Haha.

No, I'm not nuts...it's just that after eating som much hum...fles....I mean meat....
8) 8)
I didn't do it.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Cannibal is one who ate others member of his own species e.g. a dog who devours others dogs, a mantis who ate the male of the species and yes a man who taste now and then a human leg, head or whatever So are the apostles cannibals?Not at all. They are no longer humans. For they humans are simply cattle with a very good tasting meat.For that they prefer them. In a way we should be flattered.

cthm

Good... Bad... I'm the Guy With the Gun
Hey, lets talk more about zombies! Any one seen Dead Alive? That’s some crazy shit, especially the lawn mower scene.

Any ways, cannibalism… hmmm… lets see… its made for some interesting fiction, but I think its just a little too messed up for the real world. I think I would have to say that it is rightfully taboo and should only be tolerated in an Alive (the movie where the soccer team’s plane crashes in the mountains and they gatta eat the dead to survive) situation.

anybody knows:"Braindead"?*g*
Hey, lets talk more about zombies! Any one seen Dead Alive?

Different titles for the same movie. I watched it for the first time only 2 weeks ago, and really enjoyed it. Not especially for the gore, but for some damn hilarious ideas: Lionel giving dinner to his little zombie family, the whole trip in the park with the zombie baby, the rat-monkey, "kung-fu-master" Father McGruder,...
I just laughed my ass off when Lionel arrived holding the lawnmower, and saying: "Party's over !"

Anyway, back to the subject of cannibalism in the manga.
I'd say 'Evil Dead' is more appropriate as a comparison; those people become cannibals because they are being possesed by evil spirits...

Top Bottom