Berserk in color

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wondered if the Photoshop masters that we have here in SK.net would like to undertake the greatest of projects! Coloring Berserk since vol.1 :isidro:
I know that this sounds crazy but it would make all berserk fans cry with joy, i have no skill with photoshop but i know that it as to be very hard to colour all those beautifull panels.. Is this an impossible task?

KuroKenshi

ready for Today's sermon??
It's not impossible but time consuming i actually started to do this, but one page took a long time to color maybe if this was a co operation it can be done. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It was attempted before but obviously it failed (see this thread). It's honestly a huge project and will probably never really be made. I'm not sure it's a great loss, I like to see colored panels and color illustrations in general but I'm also very fond of the Black & White art in the manga. Besides if it was to be reproduced in color I'd like it to be done by Miura.

CnC

Ad Oculos
not sure this belongs in the encyclopedia board, but:

fuxberg said:
I just wondered if the Photoshop masters that we have here in SK.net would like to undertake the greatest of projects! Coloring Berserk since vol.1 :isidro:
I know that this sounds crazy but it would make all berserk fans cry with joy, i have no skill with photoshop but i know that it as to be very hard to colour all those beautifull panels.. Is this an impossible task?

I've been asked this a few times via PM, I was trying to find one of my responses but alas i can't seem to find it.

Basically, its not only a huge project to deal with it's illogical as it was drawn with black in white in mind.

Throwing aside the legality issues (berserk _is_ a licensed manga, unless you were somehow commissioned it reproducing the manga would be illegal), its a ridiculously large undertaking. Those that do this professionally or decided to color for fun would tell you how long it takes to get a panel or page finished _and_ have it look decent. For example the place I'm workin' for just landed a 200 page deal that too me and another guy a month to complete (and we were bustin our asses getting it out the door). That was pretty fast for the project but it was no where near the level of complexity berserk is at so the time frame was doable. So even IF we could do 100-200 pages per month that still would be a VERY long time before this sort of thing could be completed.

Secondly, Berserk was drawn for B+W printing. The coloring aspects that are normally associated with the process of creating these book was completely ignored. Granted, there are a few panels/pages out there that lend themselves to color more easily than others but for the most part its done in B+W for good reason. Basically, its drawn and (IMO) looks best in black and white.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Just thinking of the time that would take.. Makes me dizzy. My sub-par colorations took a few hours for one page. I don't even want to know how long it would take to color a whole volume.

I think it's best left alone. After all, B&W is its intended form, like CnC said.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
There's also the issue of getting a team of colorizers to produce a consistent finished product. Everyone has their own style and focus. It would come out looking like last night's dinner unless it was done by one person, or a team of clones.

Yea, if you want a page to look decent u gotta put in the time. Anyone who has attempted knows it's not 1,2,3...AMAZING!
Everyone has valid points on this subject. Berserk is only intended for B&W.
Basically...http://impossibles.ytmnd.com/
I'm sure everyone would at least like to see how it would turn out in color. But it's never gonna happen. :judo:
Maybe, they'll release the colorized manga when BERSERK comes out in theatres.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Also if anything (and if we are even alive by that time) we could wait till there is a "Master Version" of Berserk, much like they did Hokoto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) and made it all color. granted that might take a loooooooooooooong time. :SK:

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
How much would a COLOR volume fetch? If enough of the people who buy the tankos only were interested, would YA put up the money for such a project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom