Skullknight... Man or Woman ?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well !... Hello everyone ! :guts:

I must admit that I wanted to start this new discussion a long time ago.

Actually I am not so sure that SN is a man. :???:
Indeed when focusing on both his armor, sword and shield, you have to admit that roses and torns seem to be his emblem, not speaking about the feminin figure at the front of his horse's armor.

Not a very masculine style if you want my opinion... :casca:

In addition, I found Skully not that strong (in terms of physical strength) compared to Guts :
-Remember that on tome 25 and 26 he stopped his fight against Zodd, obviously impressed by Guts bloody rampage, :chomp:
-In addition, if you think about it, you can notice that Skully possess a dexterity which is clearly unmatched, would it be by Guts or even Zodd, but he is not "that" strong. He slices fast and good (well... After 1000 years of war, it's not surprising... :badbone:), but not as strong as Guts. :guts:

I know that many people here would say that this theory is stupid since most if not all are convinced that SN is Gaiseric, but here again I have doubts and I think that Gaiseric became one of the God-hand (Voïd ?...) rather than the predecessor of Guts in his crusade against the five. :void:

In fact I think there is a stong parallel between the confrontation of "Guts and Griffith" on one side and "Voïd and the Skullnight" on the other side.

This leads me to the idea that Gaiseric was the predecessor of Griffith in the chronicles of the God-hand and offered Skully (his once best friend or peraps lover) as a sacrifice in order to become a demon-king.

Well laddies and gentlemen, know is your time to speculate !... :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Talion! :guts:

He's a man. He speaks like a man in Japanese. There's zero doubt about this, sorry.

Talion said:
Indeed when focusing on both his armor, sword and shield, you have to admit that roses and torns seem to be his emblem, not speaking about the feminin figure at the front of his horse's armor.

That doesn't mean much though, it's just an emblem. Since we don't know about the origins of his armor it's hard to judge it like that. Maybe the rose and thorns are Flora's mark? Besides, his most prominent feature is still a skull... You know, like on emperor Gaiseric's helmet.

Talion said:
Remember that on tome 25 and 26 he stopped his fight against Zodd, obviously impressed by Guts bloody rampage

Not impressed, just curious. Like Zodd was. Since SK wore that armor himself in the past I doubt he'd be impressed by it, and his talk with Zodd pretty much confirms that he wasn't. Same with Guts' prowesses, it's not like he was unfamiliar with his fighting skill.

Talion said:
In addition, if you think about it, you can notice that Skully possess a dexterity which is clearly unmatched, would it be by Guts or even Zodd, but he is not "that" strong. He slices fast and good (well... After 1000 years of war, it's not surprising... :badbone:), but not as strong as Guts.

On the contrary, being able to cut things clean more easily with a smaller weapon makes him theorically stronger. However that's not a proof of anything and there's no way to tell whether he's physically stronger or not. I don't think it matters much honestly.

Talion said:
the Skullnight

Just a side note: it's Skull Knight, with a "K", and it's abbreviated as SK, no SN.

Talion said:
This leads me to the idea that Gaiseric was the predecessor of Griffith in the chronicles of the God-hand and offered Skully (his once best friend or peraps lover) as a sacrifice in order to become a demon-king.

This has been speculated on countless times in the past. I'm not going to address this question in here but the fact Gaiseric was a great conqueror doesn't mean he and Griffith did exactly the same thing, and actually that's pretty unlikely. If anything, don't forget that Causality is a spiral and not a circle: things may appear to be repeating themselves through time, but they change.

Aazealh said:
He's a man. He speaks like a man in Japanese. There's zero doubt about this, sorry.
Or... Skully got used to make people think he/she is a man...

If SN was a warrior (like Casca), depending on were his own story took place, have people think you are of the "strong gender" is an obligation.

In Rome 2000 years ago, women had little freedom, and it was even worse in Greece...

Histories about women-warriors having other think that they were men are not uncommon...

I know Japanese language leaves little doubt about the gender of a person, but its perhaps what Miura wants us to believe :miura:

Anyway, I think it won't be clear in my mind until Skully drops the mask :carcus:

But anyway, we could still ask ourselves about the reason why he has such emblems...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Borgoff said:
Aw, Aaz went easy on that one. I got all excited to scroll down and nothing. :guts:

Sorry, I'll edit my first post with some more details if you want.

Talion said:
Or... Skully got used to make people think he/she is a man...

No... Just no. That's really far-fetched. Maybe Zodd is a woman too then? I mean, how can we know for sure?

Talion said:
In Rome 2000 years ago, women had little freedom, and it was even worse in Greece...

That's unrelated.

Talion said:
I know Japanese language leaves little doubt about the gender of a person, but its perhaps what Miura wants us to believe

I very highly doubt that. It's not just how he speaks anyway, everything about him makes it clear he's a man. Even his character design. And Miura talks about him as a male. Plus he has a deep manly voice in the Berserk PS2 game, but that's trivial. :SK:

Talion said:
Anyway, I think it won't be clear in my mind until Skully drops the mask

It's up to you, but let me tell you right here and now that he's a man without any possibility of a doubt.

Talion said:
But anyway, we could still ask ourselves about the reason why he has such emblems...

Well, you can read my edited first post for that. It's an interesting question for sure, but it doesn't mean he's a woman. It's honestly a rather ridiculous idea.

Humm...

Well, you have quite good arguments, but I am still not that sure about it... Anyway I think future episodes may answer these questions.

Still, I think that his emblems don't come from Flora...

Indeed, it apears that he possessed his sword before he put the berserk armor on (remember the representation of the bleeding form of the former user of the armor when Schierke speaks about him).

According to me, his style matches his own personnality, not the personnality of those who gave him his toys.

There is still the possibility that the shape of the armor he currently wears is some kind of signature from those who gave it to him (the elves ?...), but how would you explained about the shape of his sword ?...

Aazealh said:
Well, you can read my edited first post for that. It's an interesting question for sure, but it doesn't mean he's a woman. It's honestly a rather ridiculous idea.
It's never ridiculous to ask questions... :guts:

Anyway, it's clear enough with your arguments, but I wanted to know for sure... I had this doubt... :SK:

Aazealh said:
That's unrelated.
It is since Gaiseric story took place about 1000 years before Guts' one. And Guts history takes place in a context which is more or less the equivalent of European middle-age (14th century).

So if we keep with this idea, the context of Skully's history should be the equivalent of the end of the Roman empire.

No... Just no. That's really far-fetched. Maybe Zodd is a woman too then? I mean, how can we know for sure?
Ok !... You got me with this one... :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Talion said:
I think that his emblems don't come from Flora...

That's just an idea like that, anything is possible. We really don't know enough about his past to be sure of anything. Still, don't forget that the name "Flora" has a strong connotation in the context, and that Schierke's "Serpents of Thorns" bear a striking resemblance to SK's own emblem (down to the rose on Farnese' ring).

Talion said:
it apears that he possessed his sword before he put the berserk armor on (remember the representation of the bleeding form of the former user of the armor when Schierke speaks about him).

Schierke wasn't speaking about him specifically. The person she speaks about is anonymous. The sword does resemble his, but it's not a proof of anything (of course, it's easy to make the deduction but since we're being picky with the "can't be sure" stuff, no reason for me to hold back). You're also mistaken about something here: he was wearing the Berserk's armor (the one Guts now wears) in the picture you're talking about, and he knew Flora already. He wasn't wearing his current armor however, I think that may have been what you meant. But that's again not really proving anything in regard to his gender.

Talion said:
According to me, his style matches his own personnality, not the personnality of those who gave him his toys.

I don't see how that's supposed to be related at all. First off, his armor and weapons aren't "toys," and they have not even been given to him. Second, the general shape of the armor is most probably a representation of his own personae, but that doesn't mean there's no influence left from its creator(s). Third, he can have a rose and thorns as a blazon for a vast number of unknown reasons, and that still wouldn't make him a woman. Fourth, going by your logic, he didn't have a shield when he wore the Berserk's armor, so he got his later. The shape of the Berserk's armor changed only partly when Guts wore it, basically only the helmet did. It's not hardly to assume then that the shield was created with a rose and throns emblem from the start.

Talion said:
It's never ridiculous to ask questions...

I didn't say it was. :serpico:

Talion said:
It is since Gaiseric story took place about 1000 years before Guts' one. And Guts history takes place in a context which is more or less the equivalent of European middle-age (14th century).

No, it's not. The historical elements in Berserk span several very different eras of our own history, and they're not equivalent to the 14th century more than to another one, it just depends on what you base yourself on to assume it. The Berserk universe isn't a parallel of ours and was never meant to be, so historical parallels aren't particularly relevant nor pertinent, especially regarding politics or social deportment. To take a light-hearted example, I don't remember ever reading about Julius Caesar being friend with a witch, nor Rome being destroyed in one night by supernatural beings.

And why would he conceal his identity as a supernatural knight a thousand years later anyway? Why would Flora, Zodd or even Slan, very knowledgeable people that seem to know quite a bit about him, talk to him like to a man? Like I said earlier I'm not going to pick your theory apart in details but it's got some really serious flaws.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Skull Knight says that his relationship with Flora was similar to Guts and Schierke's. End of duscussion. Topic locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom