Expand on the Sacrificial Ceremony

I've been wondering, in the apostle version of the ceremony, how is the offering sacrificed?  I checked the encyclopedia but it's pretty vague on this.  I've only seen the God Hand version from the anime where the all the apostles chow down on the branded Hawks.  How does this work in the more common apostle ceremony?  Does the person being made into an apostle eat/kill the sacrifice him or herself, do a bunch of other Apostles show up in the Nexus and snack on the offering, or does each ceremony differ for each person?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
UnitedFang said:
I've been wondering, in the apostle version of the ceremony, how is the offering sacrificed? I checked the encyclopedia but it's pretty vague on this.

This is for good reason, because it's not detailed in the manga, and thus we don't really know about it. The sacrifice is branded by the God Hand (by Void, to be exact) and then killed, that much is known.

UnitedFang said:
Does the person being made into an apostle eat/kill the sacrifice him or herself, do a bunch of other Apostles show up in the Nexus and snack on the offering, or does each ceremony differ for each person?

Other apostles don't show up. I would tend to say that the ceremony can differ for each individual, but there are still constants. Among the uncertain parts is the fact that while during the Count's ceremony we can see that his wife was present with him when the beherit awakened, it may not always be the case. Her death is also a bit ambiguous to me, but the appendages eating her can be assumed to be part of the Count's body (making him the alleged killer).

It seems that you haven't read the manga, so I recommend you to do just that to get answers to your questions. Dark Horse is publishing it in the USA, and this is addressed in the first volumes.

Aazealh said:
Other apostles don't show up. I would tend to say that the ceremony can differ for each individual, but there are still constants. Among the uncertain parts is the fact that while during the Count's ceremony we can see that his wife was present with him when the beherit awakened, it may not always be the case. Her death is also a bit ambiguous to me, but the appendages eating her can be assumed to be part of the Count's body (making him the alleged killer).

I see. I was hoping the manga would be informative on the subject. Especially ever since I saw Balzac's Sacrificial Ceremony in the DC game. (which was pretty vague itself.)

Aazealh said:
It seems that you haven't read the manga, so I recommend you to do just that to get answers to your questions. Dark Horse is publishing it in the USA, and this is addressed in the first volumes.

Nope, no manga for me. I've had zero luck finding it around town. Any online resources that you might recommend would be appreciated.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
UnitedFang said:
I was hoping the manga would be informative on the subject. Especially ever since I saw Balzac's Sacrificial Ceremony in the DC game. (which was pretty vague itself.)

You don't really "see" it. You just see Balzac dying next to a beherit, then you come back into the room and he's an apostle. It's much more detailed in the manga, although we don't get to see the branding and execution themselves.

UnitedFang said:
Nope, no manga for me. I've had zero luck finding it around town. Any online resources that you might recommend would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com

This thread made me remind the interest I once had about Wyald`s past and what he could possibly offer as a sacrifice since his real appearance was an old fart (maybe a pervert one due to his sick addiction to sex as an Apostle), but hell... I`ll surely never know more details about this one neither.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yami no Tsubasa said:
This thread made me remind the interest I once had about Wyald`s past and what he could possibly offer as a sacrifice since his real appearance was an old fart (maybe a pervert one due to his sick addiction to sex as an Apostle), but hell... I`ll surely never know more details about this one neither.
That's a little narrow-minded. Just because over the course of X number of years he spent as an apostle he turned into a violent sex maniac doesn't mean that he didn't have something important in his life previously. I think it's pretty obvious that the powers and abilities of being an apostle would exacerbate the worst traits of anyone, especially someone with less moral fiber than the average human.

Furthermore, Wyald even more than most apostles lives a very distinct lifestyle and "dream." While it seems mindless, it clearly has its own tenets. Maybe living this kind of lifestyle was something he'd wanted to do his whole life, and having spent his 60-70 human years wasting away, finally got an opportunity to live it.

Yup, that was merely a supposition, probably the fastest anyone could made for the lack of info. Altough I also found Wyald a peculiar Apostle before (there was a different emphasis on him, I remember what I most wanted to know is why he let himself to be captured, assuming it was that way of course) I lost interest about his origins as the plot was advancing.

Nevertheless, I`ll never lose interest on the origins of the other four God Hand (Void/Conrad/Ubik/Slan) and you might guess whom in particular (:void:), I`ve thought to even make complete pages for every of these four as soon as more details and background is known about them, and I don`t know why but I got this feeling that it will be Slan from who we`ll know more first.

Well, enough off-topic for now.

Top Bottom