Multimillionaire will fight charges by the MPAA

Black_Devil

Punos Rey
Link: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13726

"MPAA sues multimillionaire that is ready to fight the charge
Posted by Dan Bell on 26 July 2006 - 02:45 - Source: Wired

johnzap used our news submit to tell us: "Finally! Someone, with the means ($$$) to do it, is going to fight the MPAA and its tactics, in court. Looks like this is a case to follow: case number 06CV0545, Universal vs. Hogan filed in US District Court (California Southern District, Ninth Circuit)." Last November, Shawn Hogan received an unsettling call: A lawyer representing Universal Pictures and the Motion Picture Association of America informed the 30-year-old software developer that they were suing him for downloading Meet the Fockers over BitTorrent. Hogan was baffled. Not only does he deny the accusation, he says he already owned the film on DVD. The attorney said they would settle for $2,500. Hogan declined. Now he’s embroiled in a surprisingly rare situation – a drawn-out legal fight with the MPAA.

As Jonzap mentions, Hogan is definately a man of means, as former CEO of Digital Point Solutions, he just happens to be a multimillionaire. The $100,000 that he expects to pay in legal fees, to fight this charge from the MPAA, is worth every cent in his eyes. Mr. Hogan, like many others, realizes that the tactics used by these "artists associations" are an abuse of he legal system and he is going to do his best to fight it. Hogan says. “I would spend well into the millions on this.”

In retort, the MPAA had this to say: “We look forward to addressing his issues in a court of law.” Head on over to Wired for the full report. It certainly will be interesting to keep an eye on this case. Possibly, we are all looking forward to it more than the MPAA!
"

So someone who actually has the means to will be fighting the bully tactics used by these corporations, too bad it's not the RIAA though. Should be interesting to see. :troll:

D

Death Can Wait

-about fucking time-

I'm not going to make any predictions, but I like their tactics.
-accusations of downloading over bit-torrent
-trying to settle out of court for $2,500 (this is nowhere near the $100,000 maximum penalty that "illegal" viewing fine)
-Turning out they are suing a millionaire who aims to fight back, this is priceless

This is going to be grand. I don't care who wins, it's just going to be fun to watch.

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
Glad to hear that these big-ass corporations have finally made the mistake of suing a millionaire, especially one that intends to fight their ridiculous charges. 

And I agree that it's too bad it's not the RIAA that's in the duke-out, since they really need to learn that they don't need to bleed their customers further dry of a few extra bucks so that they can make themselves a golden toilet seat.

Top Bottom