hellsing

wuwei

hmm...
hey my friend is considering buying hellsing, and i just wanna see what your opinions are about the series so far. (no spoilers please ;D ), thanks

D

Drachenfels

I found the series, like many others these days, much too "over-cool".

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hellsing has its high points, but the in-between points really over saturate the anime... and those are just... ugh... dont get me started.

I really loved Alucard though.

pav

"Are you lookin at me?"
Kinda cool anime i put down an order for the dvd only cos i can get em cheap but download it before and watch an ep it convinced me

D

Drachenfels

over-cool?? I think you mean over-rated  ;)

No, I meant that everything is overstyled, like the vampire guy in the main role. The creators have tried to make everything desperetly cool looking, and so the anime ended with no real depth or heart.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
No, I meant that everything is overstyled, like the vampire guy in the main role. The creators have tried to make everything desperetly cool looking, and so the anime ended with no real depth or heart.
Despite what you may learn on the internet, using bitter logic, not everything has to be deep. Not everything CAN be deep, nor is it meant to be. Sometimes, style is enough.

Admittedly, in Hellsing, style was NOT enough to carry it through 13 episodes, but it would have been great as a movie or a one shot. Style alone could have carried it.

D

Drachenfels

True, for a single movie it would have been enough, but not for a entire series.

Despite what you may learn on the internet, using bitter logic, not everything has to be deep. Not everything CAN be deep, nor is it meant to be. Sometimes, style is enough.

Balls are round ;)

True, for a single movie it would have been enough, but not for a entire series.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Personally I really liked the Anime, I stil have a bit left, but I will be buying the DVD's. It certainly lacks are really beefy story line, but I liked it. It was cool looking, but never as good as Berserk and Cowboy Bebop.

Anyone read the Hellsing manga?

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!
over-cool?? I think you mean over-rated  ;)

I agree with you. Hellsing seemed to be a mayor fanboy-magnet (mostly because of Alucard I guess....).

Personally I hated it...it has second to none story wise, and I didn't like the characters (there were only 3 that were really 'important'). I looks like this series is purely about style.
The only thing I LOVED about it, was the music. That's pure genious.

Minion

Heh...
Although hellsing seemed to be more or less plot-less I found it very entertaining regardless. Good action sequences, great music, great animation. Hopefully the manga offers more story than the anime series did, I've yet to read the manga but I intend to.

I was, however, extremely pissed off when I got the Hellsing OSTs and found out that half the songs that were in the anime weren't in the OST. Bleh. Oh well.

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!
There are 2 soundtracks, the first one is the original. Then you still have "Ruins" wich also features some great songs from the series...

Damn I love the soundtrack...

edit
My bad. I didn't see you said OSTs. ::)

Gnath

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
keep in mind they are making the last 13 episodes now and they are releasing it in Japan in october.

I think I'll buy it when everything is completed and translated, perhaps then the story will flow better and the plot will develope.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
keep in mind they are making the last 13 episodes now and they are releasing it in Japan in october.

I think I'll buy it when everything is completed and translated, perhaps then the story will flow better and the plot will develope.

As far a I know, that's just a rumor.

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!

I'm not sure about this, but I believe that are only rumors. Might be wrong though.

edit: Damn, you beat me. Well, beat....I was just a few hours late... Don't hate me, it's already sleeptime over here.

Then again, the manga is still running I believe (at least, there is more story to it), so it's very possible.

BOB

poruno sutâ
hmm nothing original in that anime series i thought and for the music where is that genious?? ?

Berserk has that electro pioneer hirasawa and cowboy bebop has some very fine bebop and swingy jazz tracks in it wheras hellsing has only lame rock and studio musician tunes in it that work pretty much against the atmosphere that is created visually. And that mainstream rock tune at the end of each episode is pure cheese. Male version of melissa fkn etheridge *cough puke cough*

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!
hmm nothing original in that anime series i thought and for the music where is that genious?? ?

Berserk has that electro pioneer hirasawa and cowboy bebop has some very fine bebop and swingy jazz tracks in it wheras hellsing has only lame rock and studio musician tunes in it that work pretty much against the atmosphere that is created visually. And that mainstream rock tune at the end of each episode is pure cheese. Male version of melissa fkn etheridge *cough puke cough*

I agree that the ending track is just a lame American rock song, but most of the OST tracks are simply amazing. I don't have any titles, so I cant tell you wich to listen...

But hell, everyone his own thing. Normally I hate rock music.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
The ending theme "shine" is done by Mr. Big. A band, which I heard, is comprised of the former band which did the opening credit theme to Full House.

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!
The ending theme "shine" is done by Mr. Big. A band, which I heard, is comprised of the former band which did the opening credit theme to Full House.
At times like this I miss a smilie wich just cries out loud.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I will admit that the ending theme is pure shite, but the rest of the music was OK. Nothing compared to Cowboy Bebop and Noir, but they are different anime's all together.

The OST's are not worth the money. Having downloading the majority, I was not overly impressed, but didn't hate it.

The only thing track I would recommend is the opening song, have you ever read the lyrics :D Shoddy.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
The OST's are not worth the money.

That's debateable.

From what I've heard, they're two of the best selling soundtracks in recent times.

I bought them myself, but then again, I bought the rurouni kenshin seisouhen soundtrack, and that was utter shit (not the music nessesarily, but the sound track itself. There are about 3 original songs that are just remixed over and over and over).

Minion

Heh...
The OST's were alright. The problem was that the song I was really looking for was the one that is played right before Arkard (or Alucard as some think his name is, whatever floats your boat) and "that other guy" (name escapes me at the moment) fight on the train. That song was awesome - and they managed to conviniently leave it out of the OSTs. Oh well.

By the way, "genius" has no "O" in it. :p

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Well, considering the guy is implied to be Vlad the Impaler (count Dracula). I think it's pretty safe to assume the name is Alucard.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
I found the series, like many others these days, much too "over-cool".

ha. i've watched the first episode yesterday, together with a friend. now i see what you meant by calling hellsing "over-cool", drachenfels. man, that's the perfect term for it. :D
Every single framing was so perfect and every pciture was intended to be so stylish, it was virtually a visual overkill! We had a good laugh on that one...

I liked the OST very much, have to get it soon i think.

D

Drachenfels

Well, considering the guy is implied to be Vlad the Impaler (count Dracula). I think it's pretty safe to assume the name is Alucard.

Alucard is also the son of Dracula in the Castelvania games, if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom