Worlds Collide: 9/11, Politics, and TV

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CNN link.

WORLDS COLLIDED today when word of some scenes in ABC's upcoming mini-series 'The Path to 9/11' were leaked. The modern media moves so fast now, before a movie has even been edited, word gets out of its historical inaccuracies. The real-life counterparts to ABC's mini-series' characters raised a ruckus over their depiction by actors.

[quote author=CNN]
Albright objected to a scene that she was told showed her insisting on warning the Pakistani government before an airstrike on Afghanistan, and that she was the one who made the warning.

"The scene as explained to me is false and defamatory," she said.
[/quote]

[quote author=CNN]Berger objected to a scene that he was told showed him refusing to authorize an attack on Osama bin Laden despite the request from CIA officials. "The fabrication of this scene (of such apparent magnitude) cannot be justified under any reasonable definition of dramatic license," he wrote.[/quote]

This is a hilariously unique situation with modern media. I can't wait until 'Burning Bush: The True Story of the 2000 election' airs on CBS in a few years.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So it only took 5 years for the mass media to openly whore this dramatic event and try to make as much money as possible out of it? I wonder what's next, Jack Bauer tries to prevent 9/11 in the new season of 24?

And I find it somehow indecent to portray real characters and put blames on some of them... "It's HIS FAULT if it happened!"

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
If I never went back to the states I would not even care..... Oh yea there is stupid crap all over the world but some places its just more abundant and condensed.

I'm wondering if there's going to be a scene of Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein making out after the attack. ::)

Patricia Heaton I could understand taking a role in the series, she's probably desperate for the work but I expected better from Harvey Keitel.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Time for a rant. Cover your eyes people, this will be painful.

My birthday was yesterday, 9/11. Yeah yeah yeah, boo hoo a bunch of people died because of Islamic extremism. The idea doesn't make me happy, I'll give them a moment of silence, but I refuse to feel sorry for a bunch of people who I've never even seen. If I did, I'd be sad every day of the year. Not only that, but people act as though Islamic extremism is some sort of unique plague that is assailing our nation. News flash, it's just another fanatical cult. The KKK is far from dead and people still get killed every day over frivolous idealistic squabbles. By singling out Islam we alienate far more people than merrited by our supposed 'equality for all' attitude. What makes this event worth crying about is the amount of BS nationalist pride is spawned over an overly romanticized version of United States ideals. Its a day to go to mount rushmore and wave a US flag what sobbing narcissistic tears of joy. I doubt even one in ten Americans knows that Mount Rushmore used to be a sacred site for Native Americans, defiled with the faces of presidents who had nothing but contempt for their entire race (yes, even the mythical 'Honest Abe' ordered the deaths of several Natives for utterly ridiculous crimes). The monument was designed by a KKK member for christsake. Thus I find this movie, and any other flag waving patriotic dribble concerning 9/11 to be nothing more than another stain on this country's flag. Happy fucking birthday to everyone else who has to put up with this shit.

Again, I apologise for that crapload, but if I even considered the movie worth the effort I'd be out there with a picket sign encouraging a boycott.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
Not only that, but people act as though Islamic extremism is some sort of unique plague that is assailing our nation.

You know, since you're talking about nationalist pride, I feel like pointing out that Islamic terrorism isn't something that started in 2001 either. But before 9/11 US citizens and leaders just didn't care. I'm sure you don't know about it but in 1995 Paris' métro was bombed by Algerian islamists. There were 8 deads and a couple hundred wounded people. Then in 1996 another bombing resulted in 4 deads and also around 200 wounded civilians. Back then the USA, UK and co just laughed at it (really, it wasn't far from it) and said that France had it coming for not being nice to the "Middle East." To cut the rant short, my point is simply that nationalist pride is 99% of the motivation for the whole war on terror.

And you know what? We had an official and national 3 minutes of silence in memory of the victims of 9/11 here the day after it happened.

Vaxillus said:
Happy fucking birthday to everyone else who has to put up with this shit.

Hey, happy birthday dude. :serpico:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
You know, since you're talking about nationalist pride, I feel like pointing out that Islamic terrorism isn't something that started in 2001 either. But before 9/11 US citizens and leaders just didn't care. I'm sure you don't know about it but in 1995 Paris' métro was bombed by Algerian islamists. There were 8 deads and a couple hundred wounded people. Then in 1996 another bombing resulted in 4 deads and also around 200 wounded civilians. Back then the USA, UK and co just laughed at it (really, it wasn't far from it) and said that France had it coming for not being nice to the "Middle East." To cut the rant short, my point is simply that nationalist pride is 99% of the motivation for the whole war on terror.
I can believe it, also I was posting at the same time and you messed up my post! :puck:

Anyways, i had asked, if Racial profling is looked down upon, how do we go about figuring out who are the bad guys/girls and who are not. It's no easy answer and it sucks to be the person to try and figure that out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I can believe it, also I was posting at the same time and you messed up my post!

Sorry dude. =)

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Anyways, i had asked, if Racial dis looked down upon, how do we go about figuring out who are the bad guys/girls and who are not. It's no easy answer and it sucks to be the person to try and figure that out.

That's another can of worms. I can tell you not a lot of people appreciate the "new" (not so new anymore now) airport regulations that were forced upon everybody after these tragic events, and racial profiling is even less popular. Which is normal from the point of view of the targeted people I think, as it's a form of discrimination. Now it's also true there's not a lot of ways to control shady international migrations, and those that exist aren't all that efficient either. After all, there's a reason the problem hasn't been solved yet: it's not simple.

Top Bottom