Ōkami

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
If you haven't heard of this game, then shame on you. Still, here is enough info for you to get your teeth into it.

Ōkami (大神,) is a cel-shaded video game developed by Clover Studio for the PlayStation 2 video game console. It was released on April 20, 2006 in Japan and is scheduled for release in the United States on September 19, 2006, that's TOMORROW, and in Europe on February 2007. Ōkami's main character is the Shinto sun goddess named Amaterasu, who has taken the form of a white wolf. The title of the game is a pun; the word ōkami (狼) in Japanese means "wolf", however the kanji characters used as the title of this game (大神), also pronounced as Ōkami, mean "great deity", so the main character is a great wolf deity. The same characters (大神) are also used to write the full name of the goddess Amaterasu-ō-mi-kami.

• okami_02.jpg

When I first saw this game back in 2005, I was stunned by how original it looked. Much like Shadows of the Colossus, this game is of the "Artistic Game" category, even though the debate about a game being Artistic still goes on. Still, the game looks incredible and from all of the reviews I have been reading, it's gameplay is just as excellent as the visuals. This could well be the last great Action/Adventure game to grace Playstation 2 and might even stand at the top of all of them one day. And you know, for $40, you might as well pick it up! Shadow of the Colossus and ICO fans, I urge you to get this game. I'm sure a few of people here probably have pre-orders in by now.

So, is anyone else as geared up about this game as I am? :SK:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
So, is anyone else as geared up about this game as I am? :SK:

When I first saw it a while back I was impressed. It seems to be an interesting interpretation of what can be done with a toon shader. However I've seen quite a few videos of it so the graphics don't really strike me as something new anymore (or at least as new).

For me its going to have to be gameplay. I'll wait and see if that brush mechanic is any fun. Because thats pretty much the only original game mechanic I've seen, the rest looks like a straight-forward platformer.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've been following the development for a little while but I'm not really holding my breath for it. I'll just try to play it if I get the opportunity. The game's got a good critical acclaim, Famitsu gave it 39/40 and the other reviews I've read are pretty good.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've been looking forward to Okami for a while. The graphics and visual design immediately got me hooked. But I'm not sure it'll have much in common with SotC and ICO other than taking a long time to develop. Most of the reviews compare it to Zelda gameplay, what with having to go into "dungeons" to get new abilities before fighting a boss using the new ability.

Just so you guys know, the game was designed by the same team that created Resident Evil 2 (!), Viewtiful Joe and Devil May Cry. That's quite a range.

After reading a bit more about it, I have to be honest, the initial glow the game had for me kind of died away. Specifically the brush ability (using the analog pad to draw stuff on screen to affect enemies etc.) seems kind of hokey to me... I'll have to play it before I'm totally convinced. I'm just initially lamenting the fact that it's a major part of the gameplay. We'll see though.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/okami/ The second video down here has a fight scene, using the brush ability, so you can see it in action.

Either way, some of the screens I've seen of this game are just breathtaking, even with cell-shading aside.

okami1.jpg

okami3.jpg

And this last one is gorgeous, but too large to post in the thread. Click.

Well its getting mostly scores of 90 and up from many many sites, especially the big name ones like Gamespot, IGN, and many mags are also praising it.

Basically imagine a living Japanese painting with Zelda like gameplay enhanced with a brush mechanic that is great to use, and actually put to great use (if that makes sense).

I'm hyped, this basically looks like Zelda for the PS2 without being a rip off, and having its own style and flair.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I preordered this game on august 4th from amazon, but I was crushed to learn that the game got delayed several times. Basically ruined my late august, as I had very little to do, and I was very excited to get my hands on it.

I'm really excited about the style of the game and the zelda-esque adventure it offers. I also feel the paintbrush mechanic is a really interesting idea, and I hear they use it very creatively. My only concern is the awkwardness of controlling the brush to get the proper lines. But we shall see. I suppose at this point I'm mostly attracted to the game because of its art, which is just downright gorgeous. Even if it turns out to be crappy, I suppose I can at least dazzle my non-gamer friends before sending it back (though everything I've heard points to an excellent game).

the video on the left (rendered) looked a hell of a lot better... i dont care much for cell shading... this game would have have looked interesting the SotC style...

Psymont 2.0 said:
the video on the left (rendered) looked a hell of a lot better... i dont care much for cell shading... this game would have have looked interesting the SotC style...

They went with cell shading because they couldnt reach their original goal of a photorealistic wolf. I prefer it over the generic "Lets make it look as real as possible" idea for graphics.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
I prefer it over the generic "Lets make it look as real as possible" idea for graphics.
Actually, cel-shading is starting to get a little generic :guts: But what Clover has done with Viewtiful Joe and Okami revitalizes the cell-shading style, in my opinion.

CnC

Ad Oculos
The only cell shaded games I was really a fan of were the Jet Set Radio games. Great style, imo.

But they can definitely be overdone.

I thought XIII utilized cel-shading very well, and the fact that there would be little panels if you got a head shot from a far distance was very much like a comic book.

I've been looking foward to this game for a while, and i only follow probably one or two games a year due to the fact that almost all games now are movie tie-ins.

Uriel

I got it today and I'm really, really impressed so far. I can't tell too much, because I had English asignments that took presidence. All I can say is that the introduction is beautiful :guts:

Uriel

Sorry about the double-post...

Woah! I can't believe I stumbled into this... The Clover team are Berserk fans?!

• imag0630qr8.jpg

:void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Thats a pretty cool find, Uriel. I have heard nothing but stellar reviews for this game and I plan to pick it up soon.
I'm guessing its some special ability to draw things with the paintbrush, and Uriel is pulling a fast one on us... :guts: Right...?

I'll pick the game up once I get my PS2 back, Griff :carcus:

Uriel

Walter said:
I'm guessing its some special ability to draw things with the paintbrush, and Uriel is pulling a fast one on us... :guts: Right...?

I didn't paint it on that wall :carcus: Earlier on in the game you have the chance to randomly paint something on a mask to infultrate a certain area. I chose to draw that brand (and might I say how damn hard it was to get it looking that good?) Then, about 4 hours later into the game I entered a new area, only to find the symbol I painted on the mask on the bloody wall! Pretty neat stuff. I thought I was seeing things when I fell upon the brand :badbone:

i am about 3hrs into the game and am starting to go nuts from the "voices" they use in the game... the brush is unique, gimmicky... the cell shading is a little rough on purpose i imagine... the music is quite nice, traditional oriental... they have a full screen filter on the whole time that makes the whole game look like it being played on a piece of paper; i dig that... but the annoying voices are just to much

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Psymont 2.0 said:
i am about 3hrs into the game and am starting to go nuts from the "voices" they use in the game... the brush is unique, gimmicky... the cell shading is a little rough on purpose i imagine... the music is quite nice, traditional oriental... they have a full screen filter on the whole time that makes the whole game look like it being played on a piece of paper; i dig that... but the annoying voices are just to much
I guess you mean the little voice jabber clips during dialogue. As seen in this clip: http://youtube.com/watch?v=AEqxb1v61_o&mode=related&search=

Being one who's played through Banjo Kazooie for the N64, this style doesn't bother me at all. It could be far, FAR worse.

Uriel

I don't mind the way they do the voices at all. In fact, I would gladly take this overcrappy English voice acting.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Walter said:
I'm guessing its some special ability to draw things with the paintbrush, and Uriel is pulling a fast one on us...  :guts:  Right...?

D'oh, there are my world famous observation skills! I swear I noticed that gigantic paintbrush on that wolfs back!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I hope you guys are enjoying that game because Capcom is closing Clover Studio in March 2007. For info they were the people behind Viewtiful Joe, Ōkami but also the recently released God Hand.

Top Bottom