Oburi's Colors

Ariel

he's a fresh-maker!
Re: Oberi's Colors

You can make Slan pock dotted, sure, but that'd be ugly, stupid AND inaccurate.

Slan can be any color the artist wants her to be. Who cares if she's not the author’s color? Do you read anything other than Bersek? Manga artist's colorful artwork CHANGES colors. Who knows why. Probably because it's artistic. It's creative. It doesn't matter what style an artist draws his fanart, or what story a fanfiction writer writes. The point is that the artist is having fun. That's all that matters.

And who are you guys to tell someone else what the rules of art are, when it's not YOUR art they are making fanart of. No one has the right to tell other people what to say, do, or how to make art.

That's not an argument, just a fact. I don't feel the need to back it up when you could simply research it yourself.
What, research how flamboyantly gay this art peice is?

I don't think its flamboyantly gay, but bright colors from the vanity of high class IS fact. You stated a random opinion as if it were a fact, without saying why. (Now, that’s a pointless post.)

Sure the artist said it looked 'flamboyantly gay' but being colorful is not a historical inaccuracy, especially when dealing with the bravado of fighters. People manufacture and buy colorful ornamental clothing.

If you are talking about this art piece in a historically accurate sense, then the wealthy, the powerful, and people who wanted to scare, or overawe their enemies would dress to match. Miura’s medieval artistic conception of European Middle-Ages was not necessarily wrong, but it’s too drab. (Even though you can’t tell because it’s black and white.)

Just look at the Roman royal color, purple. The most expensive color in that day and time.

Even today people dress like peacocks, look at hip-hop culture, and next time you're at Wall-mart take a look at those shiny black pants with bright yellow stripes and fancy logo over the butt you're thinking of buying. Pretty gay, huh? and everyone else looks that way too. "I've got the money, I've got the pants." that's how it is, and that's how it always was.

At the end of the day, the point I was trying to make in my first post was that the artist, Oberi, was too hard on himself, and I enjoyed looking at his art piece. I wanted to encourage him to finish the piece, the way HE wanted to. I didn’t color inside of the lines, or in fact, ever read the rules about what color the insides should be, and that’s what I’d like to encourage all artists to feel. No art is wrong or right, whether it’s based off of someone else’s art or not.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do exactly, tell people that the guy's face being yellow and his beard bright red is historically accurate?

Do you know who the Vikings were?

Can't really speak for Aaz but I do believe that he referred you to research the art books to see how Miura intended for the colors to be. In that sense there is no need to reinforce that fact since the guidelines are provided for.
I didn't notice that the color itself was so much an issue here (well until you brought it up) as much as the sahadeing and light was. In that sense, of course artistic liberties are welcome and are not necessarily restrained by historic references (Schierke has green hair for god's sake). The constructive part of this thread had to do with improving oneself, Oberi himself didn't fell put upon by the opinions of others, he even welcomed them. So there is no real need to "defend" him IMHO.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

I'm going to reply to you out of kindness so you can learn something today, and let CnC decide whether the whole thing stays or goes.

Ariel said:
Slan can be any color the artist wants her to be. Who cares if she's not the author’s color?

Anyone that wants to portray the character accurately cares.

Ariel said:
Do you read anything other than Bersek?

Yeah. Do you read Berserk yourself though? Doesn't seem to be the case.

Ariel said:
Manga artist's colorful artwork CHANGES colors.

What? Miura's colors are pretty consistent in general, if that's what you were talking about. Schierke's hair is green and no other color, rage on that for a while.

Ariel said:
And who are you guys to tell someone else what the rules of art are, when it's not YOUR art they are making fanart of. No one has the right to tell other people what to say, do, or how to make art.

He asked people to tell him how to improve his skills, to give him "instructions and pointers," and to make some critiques of his works so he could progress. I don't think you've really read this thread, or that you really care about what people are doing or wanting. Do you even know Oberi? I sure do. He posted this thread because he was inspired by other people here, and we (CnC above all) are just being helpful to him and trying to assist him in his practice. You're just trying to rebel about nothing here ("you guys are art-nazis!"), you're completely missing the point. This forum isn't the right place to have your adolescence crisis in, I'm sorry. All you're doing is spoiling this thread with meaningless and laughable rants.

Ariel said:

Research how not to make an ass of yourself?

Ariel said:
I don't think its flamboyantly gay, but bright colors from the vanity of high class IS fact. You stated a random opinion as if it were a fact, without saying why. (Now, that’s a pointless post.)

Haha, now you're trying to be offensive, eh? Sanguinius told you why people wore bright colors in battle, and he's right. You should listen to people that know what the hell they're talking about. Also, I stated a fact that I know from studying Berserk as well as from knowing a bit about history (mostly from having good taste and knowing when a coloration is realistically done or not). And I was only replying to your post in the first place, which was truly pointless in that it addressed a point nobody cared about, uselessly reviving a non-issue and pathetically attempting to show off some misconceived knowledge, all of this with no real goal as the coloration you commented on was just a first try from Oberi.

Ariel said:
being colorful is not a historical inaccuracy, especially when dealing with the bravado of fighters.

Well, nobody said otherwise. Not that historical accuracy matters at all here anyway, since Berserk takes place in a fictional world.

Ariel said:
Miura’s medieval artistic conception of European Middle-Ages was not necessarily wrong, but it’s too drab.

Jesus, you're so ignorant. The mix of ignorance and arrogance is always the worst. These Kushan soldiers aren't from the "European Middle-Ages," so I suggest you just shut up before you embarrass yourself any further. I'm not even going to comment about how Miura's apparently not knowing what he does next to you. You obviously don't know anything about history, so I think you should drop this discussion altogether.

Ariel said:
At the end of the day, the point I was trying to make in my first post was that the artist, Oberi, was too hard on himself, and I enjoyed looking at his art piece. I wanted to encourage him to finish the piece, the way HE wanted to. I didn’t color inside of the lines, or in fact, ever read the rules about what color the insides should be, and that’s what I’d like to encourage all artists to feel. No art is wrong or right, whether it’s based off of someone else’s art or not.

Oberi wasn't too hard on himself. He was right, and that's how you progress. Lying to someone and telling him an imperfect piece of art is perfect is doing him a disservice. This is only common sense.

Ariel said:
Do you know who the Vikings were?

I know that they're not the Kushans, yeah. My poor girl, you're really just humiliating yourself here. You should stop talking about things you don't know anything about.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

WomanPoster.jpg

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!

Heheh, Griff.

The only other problem I notice about your colors, Oberi, that all of these good critiques haven't touched on as much yet is that you are using a lot of really saturated colors. For example, the Slan one, while she is a purplish hue,your purple was very saturated. If you think about knocking back the saturation when you pick colors, you might get a palette you are happier with.

And before this thread goes down the toilet completely, I would like to just make one comment to Ariel about all this. There are rules for artwork. You need to understand them before you can break them.

Oburi

All praise Grail

The only other problem I notice about your colors, Oberi, that all of these good critiques haven't touched on as much yet is that you are using a lot of really saturated colors. For example, the Slan one, while she is a purplish hue,your purple was very saturated. If you think about knocking back the saturation when you pick colors, you might get a palette you are happier with.

Thanks!

Regarding this feud in the colorations, I did appreciate your comments Ariel, they did make me feel all warm and cozy inside. Positive reinforcement is the key! But don't feel like you have to defend yourself any furthere. These guys can be bastereds ( :serpico:) But they are smart bastereds, and you can't really argue with them, or, you can but it's pointless. I know what you were trying to say about the historical accuracy though, I kinda already knew that, I was just being purposely hard on myself because I know the Berserk elites (Aaz,Walter,CnC,Proj etc) might tell me that the colors are wrong, "technically the Kushans wore this and that and blah blah". Thats all. Just letting everyone know that I KNOW the kushans didn't dress like this, it was a first attempt so I was just messing around, I still am too, I'm just more accurate to Miura's intentions. It is a fantasy, Miura's fantasy. Of course you can change the color of things and give some different perspectives, but like Aaz said, if you change the color of Schierke's hair...then it ceases being creative and becomes wrong! For some things (lot's of things) Miura has already commented on what color's they are, so anything different is inaccurate. So with a little hope, and maybe some magic, we can put this all behind us and move on in a positive direction.
There are rules for artwork. You need to understand them before you can break them.
Well said! I never got phrases like that in art class 101.

P.S. You know I didn't mean that part about you guys being bastereds right? ...guys?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

TheSkyTraveller said:
Heheh, Griff.

I'm just happy it's not offensive to the sane ladies of the board. :guts:

TheSkyTraveller said:
And before this thread goes down the toilet completely, I would like to just make one comment to Ariel about all this. There are rules for artwork. You need to understand them before you can break them.

Exactly, it's the same for art as it is math or science; you have to know what's inside the box before you can think outside of it (wow, and I totally forgot I used this same saying in my fake 280 thread ramblings, but it's a good cliche =).

Oberi said:
P.S. You know I didn't mean that part about you guys being bastereds right? ...guys?

All I know is you left me off your questionable Berserk "elites" list. I don't know if I should be insulted or if it's a wake up call to the fact I haven't seriously posted about it in months (or that we're going on months without Berserk).

These youngins don't know me, Wally. =)

I think the best thing that 'color-ers' need to realize is that you aren't coloring YOUR OWN artwork. Your coloring someone else's. There needs to be a level of respect given to the piece. Especially if your going to post your work in a community like SK.
And when people critique, as i said before, I don't believe there's any malice in it. The best thing to do if you want to improve is to leave your ego at the door.

Don't let this spree of nonsense deter you Oberi...keep practicing and keep posting! I love seeing everyone's work...it reminds me I'm not the only loser who colors manga :(

P.S. WHY IS IT QUESTIONABLE GRIF?!?!?!!?!?! Haha, jp, I kno I don't belong on it. "He's new here Marv, he didn't know."

Oburi

All praise Grail

All I know is you left me off your questionable Berserk "elites" list. I don't know if I should be insulted or if it's a wake up call to the fact I haven't seriously posted about it in months (or that we're going on months without Berserk).
These youngins don't know me, Wally. =)
I kno I don't belong on it. "He's new here Marv, he didn't know."

lol :serpico: I'm not THAT new. Naa Griffith I've read all your older posts and to be honest I just think I didn't feel like typing out your whole name in that little list. Next time I'll put forth the effort and include you as an elite, like you deserve. :guts: As for Proj, your name was nice and short lol, but it was more your artwork, or rather Miura's artwork that you color...that I really appreciate.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Oberi said:
Well said! I never got phrases like that in art class 101.

Well, that's why you're asking people here to give you advice, right? :serpico: So that real, professional artists like TheSkyTraveller and CnC that actually do it for a living can help you improve your art. That's a change from the gazillion amateur know-it-all art wannabes that dwell on the Internet.

Oberi said:

IMA GOAN BAN U!!1! :puck: (it's spelled "bastard")

Proj2501 said:
I think the best thing that 'color-ers' need to realize is that you aren't coloring YOUR OWN artwork. Your coloring someone else's. There needs to be a level of respect given to the piece. Especially if your going to post your work in a community like SK.

Wise words from a wise man.

Anyway, where's your new coloration Oberi? You've been slacking! :puck:

Oburi

All praise Grail

Anyway, where's your new coloration Oberi? You've been slackin

No, just creating some build up for my next masterpiece...(long inhale)...TADA!
griffithem9.jpg

Jk this actually would be my first coloration though, I did in paint like two years ago. Yea I have been slacking. Here's something to hold you over though. My dad is an artist, not professionally, but he does lots of drawring in his free time. I try to get him to do cool stuff so here's a picture he drew from the manga, which he's never read, but does like!
picture002gl4.jpg

I can post more of his work once in a while if you want. Not all Berserk related though, some sin city stuff too! Wish I could take credit for these.
http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture003xx7.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Oberi said:
My dad is an artist, not professionally, but he does lots of drawring in his free time. I try to get him to do cool stuff so here's a picture he drew from the manga, which he's never read, but does like!

Well, he's pretty good if he did this just by looking at it. I'd like to see more of his drawings whenever that'll be possible.

Top Bottom