Story Discussion: Dark Horse readers only [NO SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
avidwriter said:
Two things. I dont think Miura gets anything from US sales but I might be wrong.
You don't know that. He could get royalties for each sale for all we know.

Also Dark Horse wouldn't make much profit printing them as comic books, they are mostly too short and with gaps of three or more months it wouldn't make much sense.
Minus about 3-4 pages, Berserk episodes are just as long as a normal, American comic book. The problem you'd run into is that I don't know of any other U.S.-distributed manga that's published them episodically (individually marketed, not packed in with a bunch of other shit). There's probably a reason why, and Im just guessing here, but it could be because the contract wouldn't be worth it for either party, since the releases are so infrequent.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
instead of ~10 pages at a time.

More like 20 pages.

Deci said:
Does anyone think it's a possibility that Dark Horse might try to pick up the rights to release the episodes in regular comic book format? I'm assuming it's never been done before so I imagine the answer is no. Though it would be sweet, I'd frame my favorite episodes without a second thought.

I don't think that's likely, but it sure would be nice.

avidwriter said:
I dont think Miura gets anything from US sales but I might be wrong.

Yeah you're wrong. Why allow Dark Horse to publish the books if he didn't get anything from it? It doesn't make sense.

avidwriter said:
Also Dark Horse wouldn't make much profit printing them as comic books, they are mostly too short and with gaps of three or more months it wouldn't make much sense.

I think the best would be to print them in a magazine (like in Japan), not as stand-alone issues.

A

avidwriter

Aazealh said:
Yeah you're wrong. Why allow Dark Horse to publish the books if he didn't get anything from it? It doesn't make sense.

Well they might have just bought the rights to publish it for a set amount and that was that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
avidwriter said:
Well they might have just bought the rights to publish it for a set amount and that was that.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I don't think that is the case however.

I (finally) picked up volume 24 yesterday. I must say this volume could possibly be my favorite so far (aren't they all?). There were so many big and little things that I absolutely loved. I don't know if the No Spoilers tag means no spoilers beyond what DH has released or all spoilers so I'll use spoilers just to play it safe.

I loved Isidro at the beginning of the volume. He's really starting to become a great swordsman. While I was "watching" him, I had that feeling deep down that one day he will be a master swordsman, perhaps second to none.

I loved the further insight into Guts' mindset. To terribly dumb it down to the point of being almost insulting, his idea of "do the best you can with what you've got" was really neat.

I loved the trolls. I'd seen little pictures of them here and there before, and, to be horribly honest, I wasn't too impressed with them. But to actually see them on paper, I thought they were amazing. I'll never understand how Miura is so great at designing monsters. I liked their axes too. They screamed brutish, savage, simple yet very dangerous and effective. They fit perfectly with the trolls.

I loved the first instance of magic we see. The protection spell against the trolls. I loved the attention to detail that Miura gave the spell itself. Creating the circle, placing the four objects, etc. It was intricate. It felt realistic as if I could do it myself. It's infinitely better than magic in other creations where you just speak a few words, wave a hand, or just blast energy. I don't know if Schierke's spells are like that (where she has to set up ingredients, speak commands, etc) but I certainly hope so.

I *absolutely* loved the spirit tree house. It was such a fascinating and beautiful thing. It had such a... warm... feeling, like a second home. I wished I could have seen it in person and explored it. I loved the spell ingredients everywhere and especially the bath scene. Not because of the nudity but because it seemed so calming and healing. I could imagine myself being completely calm in there with the warm water, the herbs and fruits floating around, and the candles. I also liked the nature of the house and tree itself. How it's both inside and outside the physical world. The healing effect it has on minor wounds is also quite lovely.

I loved the golems, lol. If cuteness could kill, they'd be the deadliest creatures in the Berserk world (especially that "baby" one that grabs Isidro).

I loved two parts while Guts was talking to Flora alone. The first is when Isidro tries to sneak into the bath with the two girls, Schierke catches him, and the next scene of Guts and Flora shows Schierke hitting Isidro on the head in the background. That made me laugh. The other scene is where Casca and Farnese are walking past the window and Serpico is in the background playing Chess (or some similar board game) with a baby golem. That scene was genius, LOL.

The amount of information we received about the nature of the Berserk world, and the creatures who dwell in it, is unbelievable. The information on the nature of Griffith that Schierke gives. The information on the elementals and spirits. It was all amazing and added a vast amount of depth to me. For me, it really blossomed the Berserk world into something even more rich and incredible. The elemental weapons we are shown were a lot more amazing than I had dreamed of. My only regret (and it's incredibly trivial) is that we weren't shown the earth elementals crawling over the earth elemental axe. I would've liked to have a rough idea of their nature, but I completely understand why they weren't shown. And Schierke's statement about the fire elementals was hilarious. "Salamanders are hooligans!" :ganishka:

All in all, I think Volume 24 is perfect.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, 24 is a big turning point in the series. It begins the process of validation for the future magical elements that are introduced.

Glad to hear you liked it. It's definitely one of my favorites too.

V

vanheat

Vol. 24 was amazing and exhilarating. Fresh in the way it takes the story and adds a whole new dimension. Berserk never stops evolving. It took me over 2 hours to get from Gut's party all the way to a "runaway manga locomotive". Isidro sorta resembles a third generation of fighter in the berserk realm. Him on the cover reminds me of how Gambino held his sword in vol. 3 along with Guts later on.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Wow, as usual , I was blasted away by the new volume (25 that is this time). I gotta say, a lot of stuff involving magic which was really interesting for me.

The kelpie is definitely my new favorite berserk monster so far! (so cute for a monster I want to adopt one for myself)

and all the action with Serpico and his new gear with the wind elemental was really nice to see!

And talk about the Qliphoth, what an amazing place to visit in this universe! That was really intriguing and interesting to see! by the way how do we pronounce that word?! (Qliphoth)

Volume 25 is me new fav volume. I got me interested in the series again with all the magic use, I was getting alittle bored but 24-25 have gotten me more interested again.

Wait until 26 + 27!!

I promise you that it has been my experience that anytime something gets a bit boring. Thats a sign that deeper things are going on then you realize and the pay off will only be that much sweeter when Miura pulls it all together next time.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Breed1Ghost said:
Volume 25 is me new fav volume. I got me interested in the series again with all the magic use, I was getting alittle bored but 24-25 have gotten me more interested again.

That's certainly a refreshing perspective. Kudos.

-Griffith

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:

Reading this warms my heart. More love for the trolls! :guts:

Aazealh said:
Well, something like "KLIFOTTE".

In Mage: The Ascension, it was pronounced "Quil-i-poth." It's a real magical concept.

But yes, Volume 25 was very interesting for me. I've got to say that I absolutely love the Trolls as disgustingly savage and evil as the Apostles have been known for (I may have to submit the rape scene for the most "Trucked up Moments" thread). However, I'm not entirely onboard with the Schierke's explanation of the magical underpinnings of the Berserk world. I personally love the mystery and have her causally talking about how all these creatures are the results of humanity's dreams takes away from the seriously freakish nature of them all.

avidwriter said:
Two things. I dont think Miura gets anything from US sales but I might be wrong. Also Dark Horse wouldn't make much profit printing them as comic books, they are mostly too short and with gaps of three or more months it wouldn't make much sense.

It depends on the deal. If there was ever a foreign language release of my books then I would receive the same amount of a percentage from them as I would for the English release of my books, despite them being licensed out. If Mister Miura is only getting paid for producing Berserk and not getting a percentage of his works, then any licensing money would be paid to the company that paid him. I think comic books tend to work on the later.

But I have no idea how manga deals work.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
willowhugger said:
In Mage: The Ascension, it was pronounced "Quil-i-poth." It's a real magical concept.

There are different ways to write the word (and maybe to pronounce it as well?), since it's originally Hebrew. Anyway, as far as it goes in Berserk, what I said is correct and what's in "Mage: The Ascension" isn't.

willowhugger said:
However, I'm not entirely onboard with the Schierke's explanation of the magical underpinnings of the Berserk world. I personally love the mystery and have her causally talking about how all these creatures are the results of humanity's dreams takes away from the seriously freakish nature of them all.

To be exact, she doesn't say they're the result of our dreams, but that they inhabit them. That's not the same thing.

Aazealh said:
There are different ways to write the word (and maybe to pronounce it as well?), since it's originally Hebrew. Anyway, as far as it goes in Berserk, what I said is correct and what's in "Mage: The Ascension" isn't.

To be exact, she doesn't say they're the result of our dreams, but that they inhabit them. That's not the same thing.

1. Is it? How exactly do you know?

2. Are you sure? I'm not sure if that's entirely correct. Especially since Causality was created by Dreams and that's a major theme of the work.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
willowhugger said:
1. Is it? How exactly do you know?

Yes it is, and I know because of how the word's written and pronounced in Japanese.

willowhugger said:
2. Are you sure? I'm not sure if that's entirely correct. Especially since Causality was created by Dreams and that's a major theme of the work.

Yes I'm sure. Causality is a principle and it's got nothing to do with dreams. Get your facts straight.

Okay.

But is how it pronounced in Japanese relevant, if its a mispronunciation?

Just a question.

It might be what's in Japanese is unrelated to the real life concept, but it's food for thought.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
willowhugger said:
Okay.

But is how it pronounced in Japanese relevant, if its a mispronunciation?

Of course it's relevant. The way words are transliterated in Japanese greatly helps us to figure out their original spelling/pronunciation. Take the word "ogre" for example, well just from the Japanese we can tell Miura took the word from French and not English, even though it's spelled the same in both languages. The pronunciation indicates it.

And it's not a mispronunciation anyway; the word is pronounced like that when it's written like that, even in the Kabbalah. Rather, the pronunciation you gave me does not correspond with that way of spelling it. And while I won't say that it's outright wrong and am assuming it could be correct when associated with another spelling, I can't guarantee it. You probably shouldn't rely too much on RPGs for that sort of knowledge.

willowhugger said:
It might be what's in Japanese is unrelated to the real life concept

It is related.

A

avidwriter

Well now I finally see where that wierd little big nosed creature shows up. I don't recall the name right now. I guess we never see from it again?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
avidwriter said:
Well now I finally see where that wierd little big nosed creature shows up. I don't recall the name right now. I guess we never see from it again?

In the manga, Schierke calls his ilk "chimimôryô" (魑魅魍魎), defined as "evil spirits of rivers and mountains" in the dictionary. But here at SK.net we affectionately call him "Schnoz". :guts:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom