Episode 279

"Epic-est" episode since a long time ! Anyway it looks like things are moving super fast I expected a battle opposing the NeoBOTH to the famous "Kushan Land General" but Ganishka himself will take a part in this battle(and so doing maybe I'll change my picture sooner than expected  :guts:)

Anyway right now I don't understand his strategy...even billion humans cannot defeat an army of apostle IMHO so there is no doubt he must have something else than his regular army...maybe a magical troop...

I loved to see Silat too it's been such a  long time (and he has not changed at all)
Considering his position and what he has already done in the past to regain some power(leading a foreign band,hunting Griffith for Ganishka) I see him betraying Ganishka easily during this battle,he could do everything to restore his clan and moreover it never seemed like he loved to bow down to the Kushan Emperor...anyway he will undoubtedly play an important role in the upcoming battle...

Really a good episode anyway so thanks Aaz and Saiya!

Abstraction

Darkness is looking back at you
Could this be the land general receiving his orders? Is he supposed to be an apostle too?

Berserk_Kushan_Land-General.jpg

What's Ganishka saying on page 12?... can't wait to find out.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Abstraction said:
What's Ganishka saying on that page?... can't wait to find out.

Well, thats not Ganishka speaking in that panel.

S'probably the dude saying they're in-range/ready or something... just a guess tho

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Abstraction said:
But I just figured I'd call them that because they're the staging point for this epic war. And the city's Secretariat, Politiano, is next in line to be the pope, (supposedly). The Vandimion family has a high reputation, (that it needs to uphold now more than ever) and has a shit load of money. Their city deals in international trade, and apparently Ganishka needs this great force, to attempt to take it over.

Wow, wait a second there. Vritannis isn't the Vandimion's city. They just have a mansion there, like they have others in many other cities. It's not their main residence either. It's true they're a very powerful family, but that has nothing to do with Vritannis itself. And Politiano isn't the secretariat of Vritannis but of the Holy See. There's quite a difference there. He's a cardinal, remember, not a mayor. Like I said, Vritannis is a relatively big maritime city and the Holy See alliance (several countries and city states) chose it to establish a temporary HQ before the beginning of their war against the Kushan. That's all there is to it.

Abstraction said:
I remember reading something along the lines of, if you weren't backed by the Vandimion family in war, then you probably shouldn't fight?

Just that without Federico de Vandimion's help they couldn't have gone at war.

Mad Angel Loki said:
even billion humans cannot defeat an army of apostle IMHO so there is no doubt he must have something else than his regular army...maybe a magical troop...

Well, his magic troops (Pishacha, Daka) aren't on par with apostles either, though I guess they fare better than standard human soldiers. What I hope is that we'll see more creatures like the Kundalini in action. And I think some apostles would die even against mere humans if the numbers were overwhelming enough.

Mad Angel Loki said:
I loved to see Silat too it's been such a long time (and he has not changed at all)

Yeah, it's been so long since volume 27. :SK:

Abstraction said:
Could this be the land general receiving his orders? Is he supposed to be an apostle too?

He's probably not a general (looks like a regular soldier to me). And he's not supposed to be an apostle, we don't have any detail about him.

Abstraction said:
What's Ganishka saying on page 12?... can't wait to find out.

He gives the order to start the attack.

Abstraction

Darkness is looking back at you
Aazealh said:
Wow, wait a second there. Vritannis isn't the Vandimion's city. They just have a mansion there, like they have others in many other cities. It's not their main residence either. It's true they're a very powerful family, but that has nothing to do with Vritannis itself. And Politiano isn't the secretariat of Vritannis but of the Holy See. There's quite a difference there. He's a cardinal, remember, not a mayor. Like I said, Vritannis is a relatively big maritime city and the Holy See alliance (several countries and city states) chose it to establish a temporary HQ before the beginning of their war against the Kushan. That's all there is to it.

Just that without Federico de Vandimion's help they couldn't have gone at war.

He's probably not a general (looks like a regular soldier to me). And he's not supposed to be an apostle, we don't have any detail about him.

He gives the order to start the attack.

Informative as always Aaz. Thank you so much for the info.

Just something I noticed, I thought I'd share to get the masters opinions... :beast:

Well I'm beating Ganishka's wild car against Griffith's apostles is something magical related, perhaps more casters like Daiba, maybe even the long talked about land general. Ganishka's arrogant as all hell, but he's by no mean's stupid enough to think even a massive amount of human's could take on Griffith's apostle armies.

Its gotta be something pretty impressive considering the risk of him physically being their, and not having any of his magical fog to support his troops. I'm hoping its either something magical based or we finally get to see Ganishka's apostle form, which I have no doubt will be one of the most incredible to date.

I definetely see the bakiraka helping Guts at a much later time. This is the second time they have discussed their dislike of the emporer, and now they are directly talking about going AWOL.

I also found it odd how Ganishka contrasts Griffith by beleiving that only numbers decide the outcome of a battle.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Thanks Saiya for the episode. Greatly apreciated. I just hope Miura takes a good enough break, he deserves it after all this wonderful art. Take care Miura and wish you a healthy nice break.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
I just hope Miura takes a good enough break, he deserves it after all this wonderful art. Take care Miura and wish you a healthy nice break.

Well in fact the break is apparently because there's so much work to be done on future episodes that it'll take him really long to tackle it. I doubt he'll rest much in the coming months, if at all. Mangaka is really a thankless job in that regard.

S

Stellgod

I don't think the emp stands much of a chance here. I see another epic land battle sort of similar to Doldrey. Griffith being highly out numbered and out gunned. Griffith struts in flexing his epeen. Then nukes the entire side with amazing strategies. I also foresee another epic battle similar to Boscogne vs Guts. Perhaps, Zodd vs Land General? We shall see soon. Very soon... :puck:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
Well in fact the break is apparently because there's so much work to be done on future episodes that it'll take him really long to tackle it. I doubt he'll rest much in the coming months, if at all. Mangaka is really a thankless job in that regard.
I suppose things could go a little easier if gave some of the more of the workload to his assistants, but him being and seeming like a perfectionest, he probably wants to do the majority himself.

An informative Episode, I know it's essential for the story to tell more than what's happening in the lives of the Protagonist and Antagonist, but I have to admit I'm already looking forward to the story going back to Guts or Griffith.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It's big of you to tolerate Guts and Griffith not appearing in every single episode, though. It's been so long without them. =)

If not entertained for this week, at least we're informed. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
An informative Episode, I know it's essential for the story to tell more than what's happening in the lives of the Protagonist and Antagonist, but I have to admit I'm already looking forward to the story going back to Guts or Griffith.
WOW, forest for the fucking trees, dude... I honestly think you may be better off reading Guts/Griff doujinshi. I'm not even exaggerating here.

Anyway, to try and forget what Sparn just said, I'd like to bring up that only one dude so far has commented on the Daka reverting. But no one's really focused on how... normal they look after they died once the casters abandoned them.

Even when the Daka were born, they had little horns, inferring that they were by nature demonic. But they were already under the control of the casters. After the casters influence leaves, they just become ... ugly-eared bald dudes.

I just think it's interesting, given their inhuman birthing process, that the form they revert to in death is very human. Poor Daka... :judo:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
WOW, forest for the fucking trees, dude... I honestly think you may be better off reading Guts/Griff doujinshi. I'm not even exaggerating here.

Anyway, to try and forget what Sparn just said, I'd like to bring up that only one dude so far has commented on the Daka reverting. But no one's really focused on how... normal they look after they died once the casters abandoned them.

Even when the Daka were born, they had little horns, inferring that they were by nature demonic. But they were already under the control of the casters. After the casters influence leaves, they just become ... ugly-eared bald dudes.

I just think it's interesting, given their inhuman birthing process, that the form they revert to in death is very human. Poor Daka... :judo:
Meh, I had mentioned in the chat room but hardly anyone was there! :judo:

Wow! what amazing artwork, I can't wait for this battle to get started. I hope durring this battle we get to see Griffith maybe do something amazing like use some power we haven't seen or maybe transform into the hawk that Zodd saw in his dream. :griff:

CnC

Ad Oculos
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Meh, I had mentioned in the chat room but hardly anyone was there! :judo:

yea I was there, it was brought up. Its pretty interesting. You can invade with an army of monsters and in the morning theres no proof that it happened.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Stellgod said:
I see another epic land battle sort of similar to Doldrey. Griffith being highly out numbered and out gunned. Griffith struts in flexing his epeen. Then nukes the entire side with amazing strategies.

The difference is that in Doldrey's case, Griffith's strategy only worked because Gennon was stupid and ordered his men to attack Griffith's troops while leaving the fortress itself unguarded (Adon doesn't count). When Boscone died and when the Tudor soldiers saw that Doldrey had been captured, they just panicked and ran away. The same thing can difficultly happen here. If Ganishka died I'm sure his troops would also become disorganized, but they would still have officers telling them what to do and with such large numbers I'm not even sure they'd notice his absence. I think this time the supernatural will play a big part in the battle, it won't be just strategic tricks.

Sparnage said:

Because Griffith doesn't appear in the episode doesn't mean it's not telling what's happening in his life. I think showing his current biggest enemy marching on his potential allies with a huge army has quite an impact on him, especially since he's nearby with his troops and probably waiting to show himself. Besides Ganishka won't be there forever, so I think we should enjoy him as much as we can while he lasts.

:ganishka:

Walter said:
Even when the Daka were born, they had little horns, inferring that they were by nature demonic. But they were already under the control of the casters. After the casters influence leaves, they just become ... ugly-eared bald dudes. I just think it's interesting, given their inhuman birthing process, that the form they revert to in death is very human. Poor Daka...

Yeah, that was very interesting indeed. It's pretty tragic for them, and that means they were monitored all along ever since they were born. It makes me wonder how the creation process of the Pishacha works. But you know, it could also just be a way to camouflage their nature as to not arouse curiosity, and/or something that only happens if the casters wants it to (referring to Daiba's orders in episode 278). Just an idea like that. And thinking about it, I guess it makes sense that the only way for Ganishka to create "human familiars" is to "infect" them at birth. He probably couldn't make Daka out of grown adults because it's the spirit that counts, the astral part of an individual (and he's not powerful enough to corrupt it as efficiently if it's already formed?). So after they die and their soul is dragged to the Vortex, their body somehow reverts to a less demonic form.

Aazealh said:
So after they die and their soul is dragged to the Vortex, their body somehow reverts to a less demonic form.

It's all very similar to what we've seen when apostles die, but i suppose since ganishka is using apostles to make the daka, and probably the other familiars, that this is sort of....natural(can't find the word I'm looking for)?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I think this time the supernatural will play a big part in the battle, it won't be just strategic tricks.
I agree. It's a new era; not the Golden Age. The world has changed since then, and now the major players in this battle are all capable of supernatural feats. I think this battle will prove to average humans that they are, without a doubt, out of their league.

But in what manner, I don't know. We've seen Ganishka's naval fleet and its magical abilities. But I doubt he'd simply leave his land army completely "normal." This is the entourage of THE EMPEROR, I'm sure he'll pull every trick in the book, if it comes to that.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Aazealh said:
Yeah, that was very interesting indeed. It's pretty tragic for them, and that means they were monitored all along ever since they were born. It makes me wonder how the creation process of the Pishacha works. But you know, it could also just be a way to camouflage their nature as to not arouse curiosity, and/or something that only happens if the casters wants it to (referring to Daiba's orders in episode 278). Just an idea like that. And thinking about it, I guess it makes sense that the only way for Ganishka to create "human familiars" is to "infect" them at birth. He probably couldn't make Daka out of grown adults because it's the spirit that counts, the astral part of an individual (and he's not powerful enough to corrupt it as efficiently if it's already formed?). So after they die and their soul is dragged to the Vortex, their body somehow reverts to a less demonic form.

I noticed the Daka thing right away, too. I didn't mention it because I thought maybe I had forgotten something about the process of creating them, and thought I would end up sounding stupid. :???:

But, yeah, that was really interesting and unexpected. I guess I just figured since they were born from human women and apostles, I thought they would always retain the form we saw them in from the beginning. I had interpreted them a little differently than, say, the tiger and croc familiars.

Also regarding the abscence of Guts and Griffith, over the span of the manga, there are plenty of times the main characters have not been the focus of individial episodes. That's often forgotten when we look at these episodes one by one.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Malachai said:
It's all very similar to what we've seen when apostles die, but i suppose since ganishka is using apostles to make the daka, and probably the other familiars, that this is sort of....natural(can't find the word I'm looking for)?

It's a bit different from what happens with apostles. Also, because Ganishka uses apostles to corrupt the Daka at their birth doesn't mean they follow the same kind of transmutation, their purpose is just to provide a gateway to the astral world where the unborn children can be infused with "evil" or something. It's all controlled by specific magic as shown by the number of casters (and the fog) in the room the Daka are created in volume 27. The way the God Hand creates apostles is quite different as far as I can tell. The fact the Daka all look the same (and similar to Ganishka) is a proof of this as well. And I don't think the Pishacha are created through the same process, even though for now we don't really have any tangible information about it.

Walter said:
I doubt he'd simply leave his land army completely "normal." This is the entourage of THE EMPEROR, I'm sure he'll pull every trick in the book, if it comes to that.

Same here, I don't see him staying idle if the Neo Hawks appear, and he must know they're nearby. I hope to see him use some earth-based magic this time around, since we've seen practically none so far in Berserk. Maybe we'd finally learn how the earth elementals are called. :SK: He could have a Basilisk or a Cockatrice hidden somewhere on an elephant or inside his giant chariot. :void:

TheSkyTraveller said:
Also regarding the abscence of Guts and Griffith, over the span of the manga, there are plenty of times the main characters have not been the focus of individial episodes.

Yeah, volume 18 anyone?

CnC

Ad Oculos
god, is it really that big of a deal if griffith or guts isn't in a few episodes (besides that its been done before)?!

There are mangas out there (usually aimed at children) that have a plethora of characters that consistantly make grand entrances where you could get your fix of such things.

Top Bottom