Femto's actions in volume 13

Something has been on my mind for awhile after recently reading volume 13. Skull Knight jumps into the Vortex and picks up Guts and Casca. While he's jumping out of it, Femto raises his hand to stop Skull Knight and kill Guts and Casca. The thing that bothers me is if he was really going to kill them. When he raised his hand, it showed him looking closely at Guts, and then a close up of Femto's face. Did something stop Femto from killing them, or did his powers really just not extend that far? Perhaps a part of him that was still the old Griffith stopped him from killing them, or perhaps he just wasn't able to physically kill them. I think either way is sensible, and I'm just curious about your guys' opinions on this. I'm not sure if this has been explained or not in further volumes, since I'm only on 14, so excuse me if I'm clearly mistaken.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I remember first seeing those shots in the manga, years ago, and thinking Femto hesitated. I no longer believe that.

Since Femto looks at his hand after they escape, it appears his powers didn't work out like he'd hoped. The zoom-in of Femto's face when he sees Guts on Skully's horse was, to me, just showing he was realizing Guts would escape, and live.

Walter said:
I remember first seeing those shots in the manga, years ago, and thinking Femto hesitated. I no longer believe that.

Since Femto looks at his hand after they escape, it appears his powers didn't work out like he'd hoped. The zoom-in of Femto's face when he sees Guts on Skully's horse was, to me, just showing he was realizing Guts would escape, and live.

Ok, that makes more sense. I was thinking that Femto looking at his hand afterwards was in astonishment of his own powers, but he does that a couple pages before when he first tries to get Skull Knight. Now I see that he was a little disappointed with not having his powers work.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dabba said:
Skull Knight jumps into the Vortex and picks up Guts and Casca.

SK didn't jump into the Vortex (with a capital V), since that's the term we use to refer to the Vortex of Souls. I think it'd be better to just call it a tornado to prevent any confusion.

Dabba said:
did his powers really just not extend that far?

That's what I think. He tried to kill SK the first time (using his powers instinctively) and missed, then SK was getting away too fast and he couldn't get him, so he stared at Guts and then his hand, like Wally said. Femto's personality and actions through the manga make it pretty unlikely that "some of the old Griffith" remained in him that would have prevented him from killing them.

Top Bottom