The Real Meaning of the Branding of the Apostles?

I

imsoaznwashed

What's the real meaning of the branding that the apostles put on the Hawks? I know there is a long, elaborate explanation of it inside the manga, but i do not know which volume to look in.

Someone please clarify the elaborate meaning. I know it has something to do with being cast into darkness for eternity and being set alone from the rest of the world or something like that. I couldn't find the exact definition on the internet anywhere, so please reply.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Are you talking about the brand mark that Guts and Casca have? If so, its the mark of those that have been chosen to be sacrificed!

Those that are chosen to become an Apostle or a God Hand must sacrifice someone that is dear to them. The person(s) that are chosen receive the branded mark and are then very shortly after, devoured by demons.

I

imsoaznwashed

yeah..i know that. but there's a long, elaborate explanation of the nature of the brand, what kind of torture it does, what effects it does, etc etc etc. in the manga.

i'm sorry if my original post sounded like im a nub or something, but i've been reading berserk for the past 2 years and am no longer in possession of any of the earlier volumes.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Well I am at work and thus don't have access to my books. Although im pretty sure its as simple as that.

Anyone else out there that can contribute? Aaz? I know you are out there! :carcus:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Well, other than what Saiya said already, the brand attracts demons/ghosts and Apostles, and it hurts and bleeds whenever those are near. It bleeds very violently when near members of the God Hand. I think Flora touches on it a bit more in volume 24, when she's explaining the different layers of reality to Guts.

I

imsoaznwashed

i know what it does...but there is a more elaborate explanation of the brand in the manga somewhere...i guess im going to have to find it by myself...=T

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
imsoaznwashed said:
What's the real meaning of the branding that the apostles put on the Hawks? I know there is a long, elaborate explanation of it inside the manga

I don't think there's a much more elaborate explanation than what was told to you anywhere in the manga. Also it's the God Hand that brands sacrificed people, not apostles. Other than what was said already, I'd add that branded people are doomed to end up in the Vortex of Souls after their deaths. Save for that I think you've got it covered. I don't know what you think is the "real meaning" of the Brand, but it's pretty much a sacrificial mark that doubles as a very powerful curse for those that bear it. I think you're just referring to SK's speech to Guts at the end of volume 13, but it's not really an elaborate meaning or anything, just an explanation of what life is for a branded person.

CnC

Ad Oculos
hey there imsoaznwashed.

Like Aaz stated there isn't too much exposition given to the full implication of the brand as it relates to the vortex of souls. Any sort of afterlife is left (deliberately) vague. Basically its the ultimate condemnation. It sort of seems that those who are branded and those who fall victim to the apostles created as a result of the sacrifice are condemned to the vortex. But really, the details of this aren't really known.

Mmmh... Hi everyone!

I think the brand looks like a simplification of that vatican symbol... Or in other words the symbol of "god".(???)

I'm sure they are related... :SK:

-By the way, I'm new here. My name is Kevin Mura, from Valparaiso, Chile.

gaisericknight said:
Mmmh... Hi everyone!

I think the brand looks like a simplification of that vatican symbol... Or in other words the symbol of "god".(???)

I'm sure they are related... :SK:

-By the way, I'm new here. My name is Kevin Mura, from Valparaiso, Chile.
Hi and welcome, hope you enjoy yourself here. The relation you mention seems pretty obvious and has been discussed. THIS thread makes for an interesting read on the subject, as given the symbol could be based on the staff of Mercury (Hermes) also the double helix could be derived from DNA. At any rate IMHO Olivier's theory, in the thread linked above, makes probably the most sense. Hope this helps. Oh BTW, it's not really called Vatican, it's the Holy See.

I think it said that the beherit is given to those who suffer and they can brand whoever hurt them but in return you give up a loved one. Like it depends on if you're intelligent or strong or whatever to become a god hand member. So if Guts got a beherit and killed Griffith he might be the king of the god hand. I have a feeling that he might have a CHOICE of killing griffith but he has to kill his group of friends. its just a guess :chomp:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
guns285 said:
its just a guess :chomp:
It's just wrong. :void:

Seriously though, just about every concept you listed above is a misconception. Sorry.

Also, please refrain from reviving older topics unless you have something significant to offer. Thanks in advance.

Walter said:
Seriously though, just about every concept you listed above is a misconception. Sorry.

guns285 said:
I have a feeling that he might have a CHOICE of killing griffith.
erase the rest, put a period at the end and walla you got yourself a reasonable concept. :guts:
...I'm such an ass. >_<

On a side note.. thx for linking that other thread vlad, it was a very good read, especially what olivier said.

Top Bottom