Being that Magnifico is totally useless and all talk so far...

CnC

Ad Oculos
About as good as anyone else. When the time is right the Beherit will be in the hands of its owner, that's really all there is to it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
What are the chances that Guts Beherit is for him?

I'd say zero. It'd be more useless for him to become an apostle than anything else that was done involving him so far. At least he put Farnese in contact with Roderick, that deserves some props. Besides, who would he sacrifice?

CnC said:
When the time is right the Beherit will be in the hands of its owner, that's really all there is to it.

If there ever is a "right time" again for that particular beherit, of course, which isn't sure.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
If there ever is a "right time" again for that particular beherit, of course, which isn't sure.

Well so little is known about their nature the term "owner" can just mean whoever is destined to use it. The beherit in Guts' possession has been used multiple times (albeit by the same person), no? It isn't too much of a stretch to assume that the beherit can be used by someone else.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Well so little is known about their nature the term "owner" can just mean whoever is destined to use it.

Yes, they certainly have no real owner.

CnC said:
The beherit in Guts' possession has been used multiple times (albeit by the same person), no? It isn't too much of a stretch to assume that the beherit can be used by someone else.

Oh yes, of course it can. My point is just that by no means it is a certainty that it will be. It's definitely possible that sooner or later someone will use it (as I have speculated myself many times), but it's equally possible that nothing of the sort will happen. And concerning beherits in general, while it wasn't explicitly shown or stated so far outside of the DC game, I'm convinced that most if not all of them were used multiple times by different people. It's just in their nature.

Never one to bet surely on anything, but as far as Roderick goes... its pretty unlikely. Roderick has a better chance of becoming a permanant member of the newly formed Guts Support Squad, lol. He also doesn't seem one to wallow in power or possess some great dream which seems almost a prerequisite for someone a beherit would come to.

I think Magnifico's role will be more along the lines of negotiation with other nobles (although Roderick is the more likely candidate for that) and obviously comic relief.
Magnifico just doesn't have the instability, he has some ambition but nothing so extreme it would drive him to such a fate, he also doesn't have much to lose besides his life or much to gain for that matter. (though we don't know enough about him yet, this is just speculation)

I hope Miura-sensei will develop his character more but with what we know about him now, he seems like a very unlikely candidate for something that would be so important.

PS. Becchi already belongs to Puck! :puck:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
I think Magnifico's role will be more along the lines of negotiation with other nobles (although Roderick is the more likely candidate for that) and obviously comic relief.

And that's assuming he'll stick around in the long run, I mean, so far he looks more like a passer-by sticking around for a while than like a future main character.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Being that Magnifico is totally useless and all talk so far...
Wow, people are really harsh to poor Magni... Calling him "totally useless" is just a harsh way of saying we don't know what his true role will play in the story yet. Did you scorn Jerome so much when he first appeared on the page? :miura:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Magnifico is currently in his zombie/half dead larval stage. Just give him time.

Jaze1618 said:
Nope and I only began to "scorn" Magnifico this last episode.

Yea that 1 panel made me despise him, too. Don't listen to Walter, you don't sound daft at all to me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
He's so devoid of any character.
Can't tell if you're sarcastic or not but I think many people are forgetting how Magnifico was introduced: jealous, power-hungry and ravenous to impress his father over his other siblings. Just because he's not trained in battle doesn't make him an uninteresting character... I think he's set up for some great developments in the future.

Plus, his facial expressions alone are hilarious.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Can't tell if you're sarcastic or not but I think many people are forgetting how Magnifico was introduced: jealous and power-hungry to impress his father over his other siblings. Just because he's not trained in battle doesn't make him an uninteresting character... I think he's set up for some great developments in the future.

Plus, his facial expressions alone are hilarious.

I second that!

IMHO I wouldn't miss him if he died. Every shot of him usually shows one of his little horror stricken faces one after the other in a slightly different context.
He might very well come around and show his inner courage while illustrating the character development of how he came to whatever noble decision.... but really I'd be fine to skip all of that regarding him and focus on other parts of the story.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
IMHO I wouldn't miss him if he died. Every shot of him usually shows one of his little horror stricken faces one after the other in a slightly different context.
You must have the memory of a goldfish. Do you recall the earlier episodes he was in at all? Here's some choice excerpts of dialogue to jog your memory on why he's not just around for comic relief.

[quote author=Kentarou Miura]
Magnifico: I remember when I would visit the mansion at the holy city, seeing a girl who seemed as if a ghost, wandering around the garden. Raising a flower within a safe greenhouse to protect it from the filth of the outside.
Though I have been disowned by my family, we will not waste our lives by living in luxury during our youth. They shall struggle as much as they like. In that birdcage they mistake for the world, together they shall drink stale and saturated liquor.

If we are meant to drift around without a place to go, all we can do is start rowing. We'll seize the next era. :griff:[/quote]
So yeah, he's not just around for show... The guy's an interesting character, and if you can't see beyond his lack of fighting ability, you're missing out.

He might very well come around and show his inner courage while illustrating the character development of how he came to whatever noble decision.... but really I'd be fine to skip all of that regarding him and focus on other parts of the story.
Huh? Who said anything about his inner courage or nobility? Why should he have to exhibit those traits to be an interesting character? That sounds like a really limited spectrum of entertainment to me. I'll bet you're always the Paladin in Diablo II, right? :carcus:

Magnifico's appeal to me has everything to do with his vulgar ambition - his blind hubris and pompous desire to seize it all. His overzealousness is infectious.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Sparnage said:

I can't help but remember the only reason hes on a boat is because he wanted to escape the unspeakable horrors that were burning down his city and slaughtering dozens (that we saw) of battle-ready troops. I'm no coward, but I would probably be scared shitless as well in that situation, and would probably make a face or two of the horror stricken variety.

I'm not really sure what to make out of Magnifico, really. At first he seemed more like an ambitious noble marrying off Farnese to Roderick to win favor with Vandimion. But now that Roderick is doing all he can to help Guts and his group get to Skellig Island and it seems like Magnifico is just along for the ride. He seems a bit overwhelmed with the situation, but seems to do his part to help as well.

I don't really think Magnifico is completely trustworthy, though it wouldn't surprise me to see him have a key moment in which he helps the crew out. Just to see him die at this point would seem like a complete waste.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's not like there's a need for every single character to be a valiant fighter or a mighty sorcerer or anything. I mean yeah, Magnifico's a coward and now he's incapacitated with some sort of extreme seasickness, but that doesn't really warrant any grudge against him as far as I can see. He doesn't detract from the story or anything, hell, he didn't even have a panel for himself in the last episode, he was just there in the background doing his thing.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
The question to me is: will he be anything more than comic relief from now on?

I don't expect him to turn into an apostle, but maybe he just snaps under the stress?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Magnifico took center stage in Ep 290. It's as if Miura were reading this thread and decided to give the man the spotlight at long last. We'll see what's up in the translation :daiba:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Well, Magnifico took center stage in Ep 290. It's as if Miura were reading this thread and decided to give the man the spotlight at long last. We'll see what's up in the translation :daiba:

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. Just as people are really starting to diss him, he gets over his seasickness and occupies a couple pages in the latest episode. I can't wait to read his interactions with Roderick and Puck.

Top Bottom