Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
As a Resident Evil fan and a Wii owner I feel I need to make a thread on this game. When it was first announced I didn't think much of it but as time went by it started to look better and better and now I can't wait to get it.

For those that haven't heard of it, it's an on-rail shooter à la The House of the Dead in which the details behind the fall of Umbrella Corp. will be revealed. You'll play through levels set during RE0, RE1, RE2 and RE3, plus the obligatory new areas and events taking place between RE3 and RE4. The game will be compatible with the Wii Zapper, an accessory combining the Wiimote and Nunchuk into a single rifle-like device, and a bundle is already planned (while we're on that topic, the Wii Zapper by itself will be sold $19.90 with a small game called Zelda: Crossbow Training).

I could talk more about it but I'll just say that it seems Capcom's aim is to please the fans as much as possible with this game, and that it's already considered by all those who've tried it to be far above the other rail shooter spin-offs they released in the past. For more details and trailers please check these links:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=3393
http://wii.ign.com/objects/827/827187.html
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/residentevilseries/index.html

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
This sounds great, and as a fellow Wii owner, I do believe I will be getting this. Blasting zombies with a modified Wii-mote, it'll be like the arcade except at home.

I own a Wii I actually am primarily buying one for UC. Not the first time either. I got a Dreamcast for Code Veronica, and yes, I got a GC for the RE remakes and RE 4. All were pretty well worth it. Even the Dreamcast. All these system had a good range of games. I must admit I wish Nintendo would extend more adult theme violent games. But it isn't going to happen to the extreme I would want.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I must admit I wish Nintendo would extend more adult theme violent games. But it isn't going to happen to the extreme I would want.

Yeah man, Manhunt 2's far too soft for my tastes. :schierke: One can't help but wonder what the extreme you would want is. I mean, even RE: UC isn't exactly a non-violent game, and there are plenty of adult-themed gamed already released or announced. Nintendo's not preventing developers from releasing their games, and their own franchises don't lend themselves to ultraviolence, which isn't something I think much people frown upon.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still skeptical of this game, but in the back of my mind, I know that a zapper-themed RE game will be awesome on principal :guts:

Could someone provide some background on Umbrella's "fall"? I played RE1-2 and 4, but not 3 or Code Veronica. I guess I missed something? :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I'm still skeptical of this game, but in the back of my mind, I know that a zapper-themed RE game will be awesome on principal

Well the thing is, the previous RE rail shooters sucked (the Dino Crisis one too), but that one is according to everybody a different thing entirely. It "feels" like RE, like it's a main game in the franchise and not just a cheap spin-off. Anyway, considering the hands-on reviews it's received so far, even in its unfinished state, it's very unlikely it'll be bad. At worst it'll just be decent.

Walter said:
Could someone provide some background on Umbrella's "fall"? I played RE1-2 and 4, but not 3 or Code Veronica. I guess I missed something? :???:

It occurred between Code Veronica and RE4. No information was provided other than Leon's speech at the beginning of RE4, which is why all the fans of the series are waiting for this game, which is according to IGN going to be crammed full of small bonuses, reports, files, etc. It's basically a big pile of fan service with a seemingly kick ass gameplay slapped on top of it.

PS: And yeah, you missed out on RE3. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder how they'll handle transitions between setting in the game. Individual, boss-themed levels for each game?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I wonder how they'll handle transitions between setting in the game. Individual, boss-themed levels for each game?

There'll be bosses, that's for sure, so yeah I guess we'll be fighting the Tyrant and such with nice cinematics (recycled or not) in between, with most likely some explanations as to what is supposed to have taken place in between each level of the game (representing a complete game in the series each time).

Well this made my day. Turns Out Wesker is a Playable Character. Infact. You get it seems you get to play his entire side of the story through the RE1 Remake. Before and after he dies in the game.

www.rehorror.net

They have a good article on it, with screen shots/ scans and what not.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah it's stuff taken from Famitsu basically. Anyway I tell you guys, this game's going to be a fan service orgy. No way it's going to be anything but awesome. :guts:

At first I was a little upset with the game seeing how similar parts of it looked to House of the Dead 2, but the more I hear the better it is sounding. And you get to play as Wesker! Well thats just sweet. Yea, well being more then a huge fan of the series I guess i have no problem with all this fan service though. Now they are releasing a new Wesker's Report as well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A few pictures of the Japanese "Expert Pack" that'll include the Wii Zapper: 01, 02, 03.

It'll also come with the Wesker's Expert Report (a 28 pages handbook) and a sticker. I've got a picture of an Umbrella wallet, but I don't know if it's supposed to be included or not. This pack will cost 8,610¥ and the game alone is 7,340¥, so I think it's a pretty good deal.

A sticker! haha Well that's not a bad deal at all. I was unaware of the wallet as well but hey, if it comes around I would jump at it. But then again they also had a bunch of RE4 memorabilia available to win and I even tried for that, though I'm not sure if I want to know what the el de toilette Leon smells like.
They are also going to be selling the game in some aluminum box with some caution tape and 2 keys and stuff too for about $30.. Interesting if it were cheaper maybe, but on that I'm passing.
http://www.siliconera.com/news/0705/residenteviluc.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Haha that's pretty nice for just $30, but unfortunately the Wii being zoned I'll have to settle with whatever they deem Europeans worthy of, which likely will be nothing, as usual. -__-;

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Haha that's pretty nice for just $30, but unfortunately the Wii being zoned I'll have to settle with whatever they deem Europeans worthy of, which likely will be nothing, as usual. -__-;

Wesker.jpg

(EU Only)

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Aazealh said:
Well the thing is, the previous RE rail shooters sucked (the Dino Crisis one too), but that one is according to everybody a different thing entirely. It "feels" like RE, like it's a main game in the franchise and not just a cheap spin-off. Anyway, considering the hands-on reviews it's received so far, even in its unfinished state, it's very unlikely it'll be bad. At worst it'll just be decent.

It occurred between Code Veronica and RE4. No information was provided other than Leon's speech at the beginning of RE4, which is why all the fans of the series are waiting for this game, which is according to IGN going to be crammed full of small bonuses, reports, files, etc. It's basically a big pile of fan service with a seemingly kick ass gameplay slapped on top of it.

PS: And yeah, you missed out on RE3. =)

I disagree. RE3 was crappy filler. Code Veronica is where its at, up there with RE1.

Griffith

I'm not going to delete this since I'm curious to see Aaz's reaction, but did we really need a reply to a casual one line postscript between friends, while quoting the entire post no less, almost a month after the fact?

But since you took it there, RE2 kicks the shit out of all those titles; especially the labored, cross-dressing, melodrama that is Code Veronica. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hehe well, you already made a good point:

Griffith No More! said:
But on that note, RE2 kicks the shit out of all those titles; especially the labored, cross-dressing, melodrama that is Code Veronica. =)

As far as the old REs stand (pre-RE4), RE2 is the culmination of the series since it's basically the ideal sequel to RE. It's more of the same in better and longer. RE3 is shorter and a continuation of RE2, but it has a lot going for it, especially compared to CV. First it has badass weapons, some of them which aren't found in any other RE game. Following the steps of RE2 and its awesome Colt SAA, we get the Winchester M1887 Lever Action Shotgun (T2 style), but also the STI Eagle 5.0, the Mine Thrower and a fucking Mini-Gun. The Colt FN M4A1 Assault Carbine is also worth noting. RE: CV instead has boring automatic guns that resemble each other and that you can't use freely. But I'm sure Claire would have been sad hadn't she had her favorite bowgun, back from RE2!

Second, the enemies. The Bandersnatchers from CV are pretty lame, you've got to admit. And you don't even get to fight many of them. The worm from CV is also not very different from the worm from RE3. How original. RE3 has the bug things and their evolved form, plus the mutated Hunters. And of course, Nemesis. He's really what gives RE3 flavor. In effect, he's just an enhanced Mr. X from RE2, but what enhancement! He follows you around like an unstoppable death machine, he's a permanent menace and adds a lot of tension to the game. CV has Alfred Ashford and his shrill voice. A transvestite. Oh my, scary~

Alexia doesn't make a much better villain (not like you get to see a lot of her anyway), and the boss fights against her are not very impressive. So uh, yeah, her blood can catch on fire or something, and she needs a whole 6 shots of magnum to go down! Her transformed form is even more of a joke, but at least you get to use the Linear Launcher once, FPS like! And what to think of the fight against Nosferatu? It also seems to only exist to showcase the 3D graphics. Featuring another one-time weapon. I guess the coolest (and hardest?) boss in that game is the good old Tyrant, and he's also the most basic one. Lastly we can talk about Steve the marvellously wimpy sidekick. He looks and sounds like a 17 years old trying his hardest to be a badass and clumsily attempting to get into Claire's pants. Not sure if that's intentional or not, but he sucks. Even his mutated self sucks. RE3 has mercenaries, good and bad. More fitting, and they're even tied to Hunk, a nice reference.

So yeah, I guess in the midst of its laborious storyline, CV has Wesker! Major redeeming point here! I was so glad to learn that the deadly strike he received from the fearsome and uncontrollable Tyrant was in fact calculated because he needed to fake his death for no reason at all and planned that Chris/Jill would come so far but not that they'd kill the last enemy after having destroyed everything else. Most convoluted plot twist ever that you can tell they made up on the spot because they couldn't think of anything better. It's on par with comic book retcons. Not to mention that he only appears in cutscenes, like he was slapped on at the last minute. At least it's brief in the original game, you just get glimpses of him, but in CV X it gets a tad boring (thanks to the fans that asked for it) since it goes on and on without actually bearing on the game.

Now don't be mistaken, I like CV and I always enjoyed playing it, but it's clearly not a high point in the series and isn't particularly superior to RE3. That being said, given NightCrawler's posting history and his customary good taste and sound opinions, I'm not surprised nor really concerned with his disagreement.

Griffith

Yeah, I enjoy Veronica as well, it's camera and style became wholly unique with the new direction of 4, and it's truly more a sequel to the series in overall scobe while RE3 is more of a derivative of RE2, like an add on or side story. But, with that said, I still think RE3 did more for the mythology of the series, for the reasons Aaz listed, and simply for the fact that it certainly didn't take anything away from it. Code Veronica was the game and turning point that pushed the series' embarrassingly over the top, a place from which it will likely never come back down. It's like the point of no return with a horror movie series, when the upteenth sequels go from trying to be scarier to just being campier. RE3, while certainly more of the same, furthered the charming B horror movie atmosphere of the series; while CV was like a horrible $200 million epic soap opera starring Leonardo DiCaprio ("Hi, I'm Steve!").

That's right, Code Veronica is the Titanic of Resident Evil games! :isidro: :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
("Hi, I'm Steve!")

"You can't count on people. On nobody. You can only rely on guns. These are my only friends." *runs away crying*

Griffith No More! said:
That's right, Code Veronica is the Titanic of Resident Evil games!

Hahaha, that's a good comparison actually. :guts:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I'll read your replies later when i have time, but although i enjoyed RE3, i can't point anything remarkable with that game, its just same old RE cliches, like a poor man's RE2. I felt no tension playing it, completed it in two days or something. I can't even remember almost anything about it.
CV on the other hand felt massive, actually its the biggest of RE's games, the plot, although cheesy, had incredible creepy moments, and everything else blew the other REs away, graphics, sound, settings, music (the camera angles and the music when you enter the dollhouse are still vivid in my mind).
The graphics, the 3d camera angles and the amazing music (biggest selling ost of all res games) did it for me, added to the atmosphere that lacked on the other REs games (i've yet to play RE4, i'll get it for the Wii).
So here's how i remember them: RE1, classic; RE2, great sequel, nothing spectacular; RE3, passable side-story (as it was meant to be), only for fans; RE:CV, landmark sequel, REs taken to another level.

Griffith

Well, just try to get around to it in the next 25 days, please. :carcus:
And I hope you mean our future replies, not that you replied without reading our last posts, otherwise... step into my office. :daiba:

In any case, it looks like we agree on most of the technicalities concerning the game, just not what they mean (good or bad). As I said, all the epicness was kind of ruinously ridiculous to me, right from the opening cinema where Claire is doing her best Trinity impression against helicopters and armed soldiers (oh, the horrors of living in a post-Matrix World).

Though it was indeed long and a big step forward technically, it was a step back artistically to me. Plot, visuals (too clean), and overall atmosphere, including even the music, which is good, but a little overdone for the purpose of being scary. It think that sums it up for me, everything about it was a little too much to swallow. It certainly planted the seeds for the series becoming more action than horror, though it's stuck somewhere in between. I didn't find much about it scary anyway, except Alfred Ashford, and that's for the wrong reasons. Anyway, for me it lost whatever gritty realism the previous games had in exchange for a bizarre cartoon fantasy world.

Lastly, love it or hate it, and I am a CV fan, I wouldn't call it a landmark sequel. Landmark for what, considering the developers thereafter abandoned the gameplay style as well as the plot it advanced? They basically disowned the concept for the future of the series, meaning it brought about, or at least marked, the end of an era; so, ultimately, maybe more of an eyesore than a landmark. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I'll read your replies later when i have time, but although i enjoyed RE3, i can't point anything remarkable with that game

Nemesis following you around during most of the game, even from room to room at times, and all the interactions you have with him? The weapons I mentioned earlier? The ammo creation system? Could be just me, but that lever action shotgun was remarkable to me, same with the mine thrower and minigun. =) In fact, the mine thrower was so remarkable that they brought it back in RE4. The game also introduced the "quick turn" system that all games now use, and I'm pretty sure it's the first one where zombies and such could follow you when you took stairs. Same with the barrels you could use to blow up enemies. And what about the different choices you could make that influenced the story (with white screens)?

NightCrawler said:
its just same old RE cliches, like a poor man's RE2. I felt no tension playing it, completed it in two days or something.

Sounds like CV to me, honestly. A lot of CV can be found in earlier games (basically, its whole gameplay was imported straight from RE3), in fact I can't think of anything really original about it. The only real breakthrough if you can call it that is that it happens post-Raccoon City, but when you see what they did with it...

NightCrawler said:
CV on the other hand felt massive, actually its the biggest of RE's games, the plot, although cheesy, had incredible creepy moments, and everything else blew the other REs away, graphics, sound, settings, music (the camera angles and the music when you enter the dollhouse are still vivid in my mind).

I don't remember anything especially creepy about CV, and I played through it recently. The plot's a farce. The game's long, but it's nothing amazing, RE4 is longer and RE2 at least as long, same with RE1 if you play with both characters. And about the music I have a hard time believing that you're serious. I can hum most of RE1 and RE2's OST, and I haven't played RE2 in years, yet I can't remember any music from CV and I finished it again last month. But really, what about the gameplay? What about the actual game and not its packaging? CV has unremarkable weapons, unremarkable puzzles, unremarkable enemies, unremarkable environments, and the setting and atmosphere are rather subpar compared to the other episodes in my opinion. In that regard RE1 is still the best to me. The mansion's music is just too good, it's perfect.

And like Griff said, it's just so over the top... Chris and Alfred using Jet Fighters to go to the secret Antartica base, all the melodrama with Steve, Alfred's ridiculous behavior/personality, etc. As for being a landmark sequel, I can't agree either. Hell, it's not even numbered. Even RE0 is numbered, and it's the weakest title of the main series (not counting the Outbreak or Gun Survivor games). It's ironic that it was supposed to be the other way around, but that the developers finally decided otherwise.

The first games I got for PS way back in the day was RE1 and RE2 (and Tekken 3). I was a bit late entering the PS arena. That being said, I've played every RE title, Gun Survivors as well. Resident Evil 1,2,3 were all great games to play, mainly because there was a coherent plot to follow. IMO. Then comes Code Veronica. Not terrible. Enjoyable. (Steve sucked but w.e.) Like someone mentioned, one saving grace of Code Veronica was that it took place post Raccoon City. Even the ending of Code Veronica X sets up a future confrontation with Wesker and a rescue mission for Steve.

Then what comes next? Resident Evil 0. TOTALLY UNECESSARY. I don't care what anyone has to say. The game was a waste of time.

For me, this almost killed the series for me and I'm sure it almost did for other people. Playing 1,2,3, and Code Veronica, made me anticipate the next chapter in the series. Then comes RE: 0. Why? What the fuck happened to Chris and Co.? What about Wesker and Steve? Who the fuck is the guy with a tattoo on his arm and at this point in the series, do I want to care about him or Rebbecca?! No.
I don't. They gave us Chris, Jill, Leon and Claire. Ok. Great. Over the course of years and 4 games, you play as them. Then Capcom goes and wastes our time in creating a title with a poor story, lame gameplay and serves no purpose than to make $ for the company. Which on there end makes sense. But for RE fans. UGH. So u have RE: 0, mix in the Gun Survivors and lets not mention the god awful MOVIES!

As an RE fan, I was THIS CLOSE totally giving up on a once beloved series. Then comes RE:4. Ok, the story was so so. But it certainly raised an eyebrow or 2. What did happen to Umbrella? What about the old characters? Wesker? Steve? I'm sure Capcom knows by now that they fumbled. Sure they wanna cash in with Wii, money is no doubt their prime motivation. As everyone has said, this game is totally fan service. I think as RE fans, this has been a long time coming. We've been playing the fuckin series for years now. A decade at least...right?

GIVE US SOME FUCKIN ANSWERS.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Well as far as fav Resident Evil game goes, Id have to go with RE 2 Berkin was easly the greatest boss out of all the games, its hard to explain why but he just was and then Leon being the coolest male character of the series. The next best one in my opinion has to Resident Evil(remake) the difficulty along with the new story elements and plus Jills back, was just to much to enjoy easly one of the greatest RE games. Now I havent played 4 yet but the others inlcuding the survivors and the outbreaks I have played. None of them equalling up to RE2 or RE(remakes) greatness.

Anyone here like the Hunk minigame, it was short but man was it enjoyable. deffently wouldnt mind playing through a whole game as a solider. Andrian Shepard anyone?

Out of both Wesker Reports which ones did you guys enjoy the most? I like the second one, with the whole development of Lisa, it creeped me out but made me love the story more.

Top Bottom