Movies to look forward to

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Yeah, that's the only part that got me. It might be a little difficult to get into Kingsley as the Mandarin.
Even though Kingsley has taken on some shitty roles in recent memory, he's still a fantastic actor. I've no doubts he can pull off this role. I was just a little surprised to see him there. When I saw the rings, I thought, "Oh it's the Mandarin." Then it showed his face, and I wondered if I had guessed wrong.

Trailer looks okay, I guess? The super-serious parts of the Iron Man movies always fell flat for me. It's at its best when having fun. Hopefully this film's creators know that, because I don't believe a gritty tale akin to The Dark Knight is needed for Iron Man.

Fortunately or unfortunately, everyone's going to compare superhero movies to The Dark Knight and try to ape it in some small way as far as it's dark nature's concerned. Like the new Superman movie. The sequel to Thor's called The Dark World, so that's a given hah!

What do you guys think of the plot-leak story-line yesterday on Thor II and Iron Man III. Legit or not, does that happen in the comics?

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Fortunately or unfortunately, everyone's going to compare superhero movies to The Dark Knight and try to ape it in some small way as far as it's dark nature's concerned. Like the new Superman movie. The sequel to Thor's called The Dark World, so that's a given hah!

What do you guys think of the plot-leak story-line yesterday on Thor II and Iron Man III. Legit or not, does that happen in the comics?

Thor 2's spoilers don't remind me of anything from the comics, especially his mother's death.
I haven't read anything Marvel related lately, so I could be wrong. Usually Marvel plots out the comics to coincide with the release of the movies a few years in advance, so I imagine that the upcoming Thor comics will, in some way, relate to the release of the movie. A prime example of this was during Mark Millar's initial plan for the Civil War crossover. He initially had Captain America hang up the mantle, and go on a soul search and then come back about 3 or 4 years later in time for the Captain America movie.

As for Iron Man 3, I don't think the spoilers give away anything other than a few great action scenes.

Also, Shane Black is directing it. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is one of my favorite movies, so I've always had high hopes for this one.

Ohhh that guy, I loved Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I hope he does good on this one (don't read the comics for DC/ Marvel/ in general except for 1-2 here n there, hence the question earlier), quickly hit up his IMDB page and he's also tied to adapt Deathnote after this *facepalm*.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Ohhh that guy, I loved Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I hope he does good on this one (don't read the comics for DC/ Marvel/ in general except for 1-2 here n there, hence the question earlier), quickly hit up his IMDB page and he's also tied to adapt Deathnote after this *facepalm*.

Manga movies are exempt from scrutiny form me as I don't think they should even be watched, let alone made.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
...is Ben Kingsley :ganishka:

Haha yeah, true... Still, better than not having him in as far as I'm concerned. And he is a good actor, like you said, so that's that at least.

Groovy Metal Fist said:
Dear Hollywood,

Do you just not like Chinese actors? Or Iranian Actors?

From memory, I think their excuse was that it'd feel too racist. In fact the reason the Mandarin being featured was so unsure in the first place was that the director felt the character was too stereotypical. And also that magic rings weren't easy to fit into the super technological universe angle they'd been going for, but I guess the Avengers movie took care of that somewhat.

Johnstantine said:
Manga movies are exempt from scrutiny form me as I don't think they should even be watched, let alone made.

What about something like Oldboy? I know it's just one example but it can certainly be done :guts:.

As for Ironman 3 I agree with what Walter says about keeping things fun and exciting as opposed to dark. Since it's the third film in the Iron Man serise I feel as though they still want to keep things fresh and try something different with this darker tone and I'm fine as long as it doesn't forget it's quirky roots. My only concern is if all these Marvel franchise's begin to take a similiar turn.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not too worried. They just had to make the Mandarin a big, bad, dangerous guy and the trailer hammers it home. Previously Stark's life was at risk, and now that his relationship is cemented they have to threaten his girlfriend too (and give her more screen time I guess, given who it is). I'm pretty sure it'll still be in the vein of the first two movies when all's said and done. If they really wanted to be dark and cool they'd make it about his alcohol problem and/or cripple him.

I'm a little curious about their decision behind making him white to "not be racist". It seems a little hippocritical especially when I think it would be more of a challenge to shape the movie version of his character into a less stereotypical but still true to his roots ....or is this not really possible? Sorry I'm really not that well acquainted with his character, but maybe you could help Aaz, you seem like a fan.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I'm a bit confused with Patriot Armor Iron Man. I won't specify for the sake of a possible spoiler but the one who wears that armor is owned by Sony Pictures, and last I heard they weren't going to budge on giving it up to Paramount for "other" projects involved. I like what Downey Jr. has done with Stark in the films, but so far it's been short of a better portrayed villain. I hope this one delivers.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
I'm a little curious about their decision behind making him white to "not be racist". It seems a little hippocritical especially when I think it would be more of a challenge to shape the movie version of his character into a less stereotypical but still true to his roots ....or is this not really possible? Sorry I'm really not that well acquainted with his character, but maybe you could help Aaz, you seem like a fan.

It's just something I read a while back, but yeah to be honest it sounded like bullshit to me even back then. As for the character itself, there's some leeway for him to be white, since he's technically only half-Chinese and didn't always look very Asian in the comics (see the official Marvel page: http://marvel.com/universe/Mandarin). But yeah I know I wouldn't have minded a more traditional look for him myself. He's called the Mandarin for a reason after all, and I've always liked his old school look. They could also have easily avoided any trouble by portraying him as a scourge in China, with Iron Man going to help because he's not just all about America (and because the Mandarin wants world domination anyway). So in short there's no real excuse for it, but I can tolerate it.

The thing is, Jon Favreau didn't like the character. So he probably wouldn't have included it in Iron Man 3 had him directed it. Shane Black is directing this one apparently, so thanks to him for that. I'm really just glad to see Iron Man's arch-enemy being featured.

Nomad said:
I like what Downey Jr. has done with Stark in the films, but so far it's been short of a better portrayed villain. I hope this one delivers.

Exactly. The Mandarin is worthy. :beast:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Nomad said:
I'm a bit confused with Patriot Armor Iron Man. I won't specify for the sake of a possible spoiler but the one who wears that armor is owned by Sony Pictures, and last I heard they weren't going to budge on giving it up to Paramount for "other" projects involved. I like what Downey Jr. has done with Stark in the films, but so far it's been short of a better portrayed villain. I hope this one delivers.

It's just called Iron Patriot, and since Fox owns the rights to Norman Osborne, I think it's safe to say he won't be behind the armor in this one.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I'm taking a leap of faith in adding this at this threat... But I admit, it put a smile on my face:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96383&utm_campaign=facebookfan&utm_source=facebookfan&utm_medium=referral

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I was going to post that.

THE LEGEND OF CONAN will be produced by Paradox Entertainment, which owns the rights to the character. Chris Morgan will produce for Universal. Morgan, who has worked on 47 RONIN, WANTED, and the FAST AND THE FURIOUS series developed the story and may write the screenplay.
Morgan is a huge fan of the CONAN series and had this to say about the new film: “After the original seminal movie, all that came after looked silly to me. Robert E. Howard’s mythology and some great philosophy from Nietzsche to Atilla the Hun was layered in the original film. People say, he didn’t speak for the first 20 minutes of the film, but that was calculated in depicting this man who takes control of life with his own hand. This movie picks up Conan where Arnold is now in his life, and we will be able to use the fact that he has aged in this story. I love the property of Conan so much that I wouldn’t touch it unless we came up with something worthy. We think this is a worthy successor to the original film. Think of this as Conan’s Unforgiven.”

Sweet words but you produced Fast and Furious so...

Bring back Milius!

Top Bottom