Movies to look forward to

I happened to luck out and stumble upon the Pacific Rim panel at this year's Comic Con (NY). We were shown a trailer there very similar to this one, expect there was a bit more of the damaged robot in the snow (that was the opening actually). Del Toro was on hand and sounded very reassuring with regards to the 3-D. Something along the lines of, "Don't worry guys...this won't be shit 3-D like in Clash of the Titans. I personally go to where the conversion is being done and make sure everything looks up to my expectations. We pushed back the release date to take our time and not just rush the 3-D." He went on to talk about his love of kaiju movies and such, which I'm an enormous fan of. I wanted to invite him out for a beer, I totally have a man-crush on that chubby mexican. He really sounded passionate. I know it may sound corny to suggest that, but he did. At least to me. He talked at length about the designs of the monsters, how each one was designed with the idea that it could be a guy in a suit. That's so much of the charm to these kind of films, IMO.

Rockets in elbows to punch fast and hard. I'll bite. The creatures being from a different dimension? Fuck it, let's roll with that and see how it turns out.

I'm sooooo excited for this. I hope it turns out as Del Toro was describing it.

To any Sons of Anarchy fans: Didn't the narration in the beginning of the trailer sound like Jax was writing all this down in his journal? :ganishka: "Tig fucked a tranny, Tara is in jail, oh, and giant monsters are attacking Earth."

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Proj2501 said:
I happened to luck out and stumble upon the Pacific Rim panel at this year's Comic Con (NY). We were shown a trailer there very similar to this one, expect there was a bit more of the damaged robot in the snow (that was the opening actually). Del Toro was on hand and sounded very reassuring with regards to the 3-D. Something along the lines of, "Don't worry guys...this won't be shit 3-D like in Clash of the Titans. I personally go to where the conversion is being done and make sure everything looks up to my expectations. We pushed back the release date to take our time and not just rush the 3-D." He went on to talk about his love of kaiju movies and such, which I'm an enormous fan of. I wanted to invite him out for a beer, I totally have a man-crush on that chubby mexican. He really sounded passionate. I know it may sound corny to suggest that, but he did. At least to me. He talked at length about the designs of the monsters, how each one was designed with the idea that it could be a guy in a suit. That's so much of the charm to these kind of films, IMO.

Yeah, del Toro is a fan before he's a director, which is why I like him. The podcasts he's been on have been absolutely wonderful because you can tell he's 100% passionate about everything he does--which is major reason as to why his movies are so perfect.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm as excited for this as I was for Real Steel, and for the same reasons.

As for Snyder's Superman, I'm still intrigued, but in the words of my special lady, "That's not like Superman at all. It looks like those Batman movies." Pretty much, yeah. I mean, I could've stammered on about some of his darker depths from the comics, but I can't really argue with what they're doing here.

Johnstantine said:
Pacific Rim trailer.

No words can describe the excitement I have for this movie.

Of all the movies I am looking forward to next year, Pacific Rim is my #1 of the list. This is everything that a giant fighting robot movie should be, not to mention this film pays a loving throwback to the Kaiju films so count me in for this!

Griffith

kooldeltoro.png
OH, YEAAHH!

Joe Chip said:
IMDB has a new trailer for Star Trek. http://www.imdb.com/list/2of6ofdWndc/#lb-1
Still not sure if Cumberbatch will play Khan or not, but ether way he's a fantastic actor. I'm sure whatever they have planned, he'll steal the show.

Griffith

Walter said:
That's a better trailer.

I wish it was all like the first half, not what was specifically done but the focus on humanity and character, melodramatic as it may be. Then the tone switches to...

JoeZeon said:
Still not sure if Cumberbatch will play Khan or not, but ether way he's a fantastic actor. I'm sure whatever they have planned, he'll steal the show.

BAD GUY SPEAK! He's my least favorite part of this so far, including the stupid "who is he!?" hype (epitomized by Wired's insane "is the character he's reportedly playing connected to the character he's reportedly still not playing!?" article). Great voice, fine actor, but I'm not going to see a Star Trek movie for Cumberbatch or John Harrison or whoever he's supposedly playing. I don't care, and beyond Khan, I don't think anyone else cares who he is either. I hope it's not really a random made up guy named John Harrison though, they did an original villain last time out and it was underwhelming, and this character looks no less uninteresting, actor aside. I mean, fuck this typical "terrorist" revenge bullshit. This is Star Trek: the villain should be an incomprehensible blob of God-like sentient antimatter that unknowingly destroys everything it touches but ultimately has benign intentions! :ubik:

Seriously, compare the new movie's trailers to this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0xaCB2nLS0

Holy shit! I hope this is just a case of bad advertising for the new movie.

Ugh, I might have to go see G.I Joe Transformers Vs. Godzilla USA instead. It's a can't miss premise, and has the most hilarious intentionally bad working title this side of Blue Harvest. Wait, the title really is the term for the surrounding areas of the Pacific Ocean...? :troll:

Wyrm

HEMA
Just saw the trailer for Pacific Rim...
My 12 year old self is making my 36 year old self jump up and down with joy!

Now for that Grendizer (Goldorak for some ;) ) movie I'm waiting for 25 years.......

Griffith

Are you sure this isn't the first picture of Josh Lucas as Frankenstein's monster? :iva:

That is to say, not exactly how I imagined Hardy as The Road Warrior.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Strangely enough, I just watched Mad Max 1 for the first time last night, it being the Apocalypse and all. I can't really make any comments on a reboot though, so I'll keep quiet. :void:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Dar Klink said:
Strangely enough, I just watched Mad Max 1 for the first time last night, it being the Apocalypse and all. I can't really make any comments on a reboot though, so I'll keep quiet. :void:

Watch Road Warrior. Now. It's the best one in the series. So many good lines in it.

Beyond Thunderdome was good as well.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Watch Road Warrior. Now. It's the best one in the series. So many good lines in it.

Beyond Thunderdome was good as well.

Ditto that, Mad Max is the Evil Dead to Road Warrior's Evil Dead 2, a much shittier rough draft of a perfect movie (if you don't believe me, Evil Dead 2 and The Road Warrior have 98 and 100% fresh ratings on RT, respectively =). Beyond Thunderdome isn't as good, but gets extra credit in my book for it's obvious influence on the setting and tone of Fallout. It's essentially Fallout: The Movie.

Skullgrin140 said:
Looks okay, but Hardy is no Mel Gibson so I have no idea how this might turn out.

At this point being no Mel Gibson is a good thing, for everybody. Nobody should be Mel Gibson, not even Mel. :griffnotevil:

Anyway...

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Considering I appreciate the classier Singer produced X-Men movies (1, 2, and First Class), they're bringing back Fassbender with essentially an X-Men all-star cast, and then riffing on Days of Future Past... this certainly has potential. Consider me looking forward with a touch dread that it'll end up a hot mess in the X3/Origins category (plus, you just have to dread the Days of Future Past somewhat, it's that ominous and dystopian =).

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Not only that but he's got Pinocchio, Haunted Mansion and Crimson Peak and now Pacific Rim 2?!

Don't forget Hellboy 3! Pearlman is getting older and older, so they need to wrap that trilogy up before his life does.

Also, he also has Dark Universe he's apparently moving forward with.

http://www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-del-toro-moving-forward-with-supernatural-dc-comics-movie-dark-universe-featuring-swamp-thing-and-john-constantine/

Basically a movie with Swamp Thing and John Constantine. Not exactly a big attraction, but they are two characters I really enjoy. But, until I see something other than just an interview, I'm not holding my breath on this being released.

Top Bottom