Movies to look forward to

You're right but it could depend on how good the remake is to a person. Like, I recall watching The Ring in theaters and picked up the DVD at the time and watched it once or twice if anyone who visited me wanted to see it. At the time, i was atmospheric enough for me to enjoy a second or subsequent time. Admittedly I haven't seen it in years and haven't felt the urge to put it on. Dark Water or Ju-On remakes were boring to me, watched those only once.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
The trailer for Elysium has finally been released. This is Blomkamp's first major feature since District 9, and, I gotta say, I'm looking forward to it.

I wasn't the biggest fan of District 9, but I will give Blomkamp credit for it being his directorial debut.

Johnstantine said:
The trailer for Elysium has finally been released. This is Blomkamp's second major feature since District 9, and, I gotta say, I'm looking forward to it.

I wasn't the biggest fan of District 9, but I will give Blomkamp credit for it being his directorial debut.
This looks really good. Now i am looking forward to this movie as well. Thanks for sharing.

I liked District 9 a good deal because it surprised me with it's open ending, apart from being decent. There are some parts in this trailer that remind me of District 9, like when he's walking through the poor city or the way the ships navigate. Definite watch from me.

I'm supa-stoked for Rush, being a big F1 racing fan and it's based on a true story of the on-track rivalry between Niki Lauda (a legend in the sport) and James Hunt. 76 was a pretty epic season and I hope the movie does the story justice. I don't like the synthetic feel to the trailer, the wheel-to-wheel racing did happen. I wish he'd have gone with a dated 'look' as far as cinematography was concerned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdkIFrMY_v0

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
The trailer for Elysium has finally been released. This is Blomkamp's first major feature since District 9, and, I gotta say, I'm looking forward to it.

Looks like a valiant effort. Consider me stoked.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
First up is the new Man of Steel trailer. I'm all sorts of creaming for this movie. The opening shots of Krypton are just amazing, then the moon, and then the Earth. I think the cast is going to do a fantastic motherfucking job, especially Michael Shannon. I can't wait for this.

And the the final Star Trek Into Darkness trailer was released today. It just sort of adds more to what's already been seen. I'm excited for it, still. I just want it to be here so I can watch it.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Johnstantine said:
First up is the new Man of Steel trailer. I'm all sorts of creaming for this movie. The opening shots of Krypton are just amazing, then the moon, and then the Earth. I think the cast is going to do a fantastic motherfucking job, especially Michael Shannon. I can't wait for this.

I never cared about Superman (only owned The Death of Superman comic around the time it came out, for obvious reasons :p), but that trailer was really well made, although the last 15 secs almost ruined it completely.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
First up is the new Man of Steel trailer. I'm all sorts of creaming for this movie.

Looks pretty good I gotta say, though the Mark of Snyder is upon it and that scares me.

Johnstantine said:
And the the final Star Trek Into Darkness trailer was released today. It just sort of adds more to what's already been seen. I'm excited for it, still. I just want it to be here so I can watch it.

Seems fun, but same deal than with the first: not sure it's very "trekky". Doesn't really matter to me though.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
Looks pretty good I gotta say, though the Mark of Snyder is upon it and that scares me.

The only Snyder movie I ever really disliked was Sucker Punch. The rest of his movies remain pretty kosher with me.

His Ultimate cut of Watchmen is actually really damn good compared to the theatrical release. It's like a night and day difference.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
His Ultimate cut of Watchmen is actually really damn good compared to the theatrical release. It's like a night and day difference.

I'm afraid I'm not going to take any risks on that one. The graphic novel's enough for me. Anyway, maybe he will redeem himself with this one, we'll see.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Trailer didn't do much for me. Those hyper-dramatic shots of the kid with the hands on his waist wearing the cape do not bode well.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
Trailer didn't do much for me. Those hyper-dramatic shots of the kid with the hands on his waist wearing the cape do not bode well.

Really? I feel like they're pretty iconic shots.

But, then again, when you're an aspiring photographer, shots like that stand out.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Really? I feel like they're pretty iconic shots.

But, then again, when you're an aspiring photographer, shots like that stand out.
They stood out so much that they appeared quite cheesy.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
I watched it again to confirm. Yep, super cheesy.

I just have to ask, why is it so cheesy to you?

It doesn't seem cheesy at all. It goes well with the flow of this and all of the other trailers released for the movie.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
I just have to ask, why is it so cheesy to you?

It doesn't seem cheesy at all. It goes well with the flow of this and all of the other trailers released for the movie.
It's the definition of cloying, and it's too on-the-nose for my tastes. I didn't think it really needed dissecting, but since you ask...

There's a kid on a golden-hued afternoon in a sickly sweet, sentimental setting wearing a cape and striking a Superman pose. What a cutie! What's not cheesy about this depiction? Are you sure they didn't take the premise from a Precious Moments figurine?

It's not like, movie-ruining for me, but it has annoyed me quite a bit since the first trailer was released. It's about as subtle a grab for emotion as I expected from Snyder, which is what truly worries me.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
It's the definition of cloying, and it's too on-the-nose for my tastes. I didn't think it really needed dissecting, but since you ask...

There's a kid on a golden-hued afternoon in a sickly sweet, sentimental setting wearing a cape and striking a Superman pose. What a cutie! What's not cheesy about this depiction? Are you sure they didn't take the premise from a Precious Moments figurine?

It's not like, movie-ruining for me, but it has annoyed me quite a bit since the first trailer was released. It's about as subtle a grab for emotion as I expected from Snyder, which is what truly worries me.

I can see where you're coming from, but the pathos of the scene got me. I used to do that as a kid, so the cheesiness was overruled by nostalgia.

Aaaaaaaaaand it's a trailer, Johnstantine.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
*reads 8 combined posts on super boy, more than anyone's talked of the actual Superboy*

Blimey... NERD ALERT! :griffnotevil:

Anyway, I liked the new Trek trailer more than all the previous ones since even the action focused on Kirk's character and his reckless badassery. I can't wait for him to punch Benedict Arnoldbatch there in the mouth with equal mix righteousness and personal satisfaction, "I saved the universe AND I'm the better man!" :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
*reads 8 combined posts on super boy, more than anyone's talked of the actual Superboy*

Blimey... NERD ALERT! :griffnotevil:
Come on, I tried to keep it brief but was asked to explain in detail (this makes it 10 posts now, doesn't it?).

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Griffith said:
Anyway, I liked the new Trek trailer more

More than the Supes one? (just kidding - 11 now)

Actually, the impression i got is that Benedict is gonna steal the show, he's so likable, i want him to win.

Aazealh said:

This. I think he's been decent or a cheesy director so far (cheesy slow-mo) but visually I can see the whole 'this looks cool' aspect and that today sells a lot of tickets too. Superman is already such a big draw because of the character and it's fan base. So this movie, bad or good, will make a lot of money. I wonder how much involvement Nolan would have had in the script or whether he got on board after it was done. I'm actually curious to watch it cos the trailer looks entertaining, though very revealing, AGAIN.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
This. I think he's been decent or a cheesy director so far (cheesy slow-mo) but visually I can see the whole 'this looks cool' aspect and that today sells a lot of tickets too. Superman is already such a big draw because of the character and it's fan base. So this movie, bad or good, will make a lot of money. I wonder how much involvement Nolan would have had in the script or whether he got on board after it was done. I'm actually curious to watch it cos the trailer looks entertaining, though very revealing, AGAIN.

If it succeeds, then Nolan will get all of the credit. If it fails, then Snyder will get the blame. Also, Nolan has been involved with it since the early stages. Even before Snyder was onboard.

If that's the case, I'm REALLY looking forward to it! My excitement went up a notch.

EDIT

The Machine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdwnEd9pSQM

Two computer programmers fall in love as they create the first ever piece of self-aware artificial intelligence, which is designed to help humanity. But things go wrong when the MoD steal their breakthrough and teach it to become a robotic weapon.

Top Bottom