Movies to look forward to

Griffith said:
Haha, yeah, should have been:
"We're old, Chewie!" Well, not Chewie, he looks great! =)

:ganishka:

Oburi said:
It is jarring seeing Han so old though (and he's most likely in the best shape for the character out of all returning cast).

But if you think about it, it's perfect cos they're going for a time skip and into the future you'd expect characters to age. In this case, they've all naturally aged versus special effects versions :slan:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Joe Chip said:
Guys, do you think that the main Protagonist is going to be that girl ?

It seems quite obvious. So novel. Llewyn Davis is the new Han Solo or something. The evil guy's mask is terrible (see 1:11), but so is his face, so might as well hide it. :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Yeah, my reaction was "I should not be excited, but I am."

I must be dead inside, because just like the last teaser, this did nothing for me. The pandering "WHOO" from the X-wing scene really turned my stomach, too.

I'm interested enough to want to know how the story plays out, but I can't call what I'm feeling "excitement."

Joe Chip said:
Guys, do you think that the main Protagonist is going to be that girl ?

Probably will be a character we haven't seen yet: Luke's son.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
The evil guy's mask is terrible (see 1:11), but so is his face, so might as well hide it. :troll:

You don't need to use a troll emot to simply state fact (the chrome trooper looks cooler), but I'll be happy as long as his face isn't Luke Skywalker's. Though, speaking of Solo kids, they could do good/evil Jedi siblings to bring back the complicated family ties.

Walter said:
I must be dead inside, because just like the last teaser, this did nothing for me. The pandering "WHOO" from the X-wing scene really turned my stomach, too.

I'm interested enough to want to know how the story plays out, but I can't call what I'm feeling "excitement."

I don't think you're dead inside, it just looks like decent Star Wars stuff with the original cast involved for extra nostalgia/authenticity (but hey, they're in The Holiday Special too, so that only goes so far), nothing more yet. The X-Wing wing thing wasn't a blip either way to me, what got me was Old Solo, especially the irony of his lines considering how vocally uninterested Ford was in this character post-Star Wars. It's like Alec Guinness suddenly being into it. Part of me is just sad that between this, Indy, Blade Runner II and the failure of his current original roles Ford is almost openly a legacy act these days, "Still want me for those sequels I was too good for years ago? I'm by the phone now!"

Walter said:
Probably will be a character we haven't seen yet: Luke's son.

Is that semi-confirmed, or did they cast a blonde guy in the movie and the Internet automatically anointed him the Son of Skywalker? I remember the rumored casting for the part (Todd!), but my assumption was that the girl is definitely the main player. Are they really going to make the main character a fucking secret? The fact that I can honestly believe that is a turn off.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Is that semi-confirmed, or did they cast a blonde guy in the movie and the Internet automatically anointed him the Son of Skywalker? I remember the rumored casting for the part (Todd!), but my assumption was that the girl is definitely the main player.

I may be influenced by rumor mill stuff I've heard on podcasts recently, but the fact that they're emphasizing Luke's speech about the force being powerful in "my family," seems to be heavily implying that he has a son child. Also, there's a major cast member that doesn't have an announced role yet: Domhnall Gleeson.

PS: While Googling to confirm this stuff, I was just exposed to a variety of spoilerific rumors, so don't go too far down the rabbit hole, people... Turn back!

Are they really going to make the main character a fucking secret? The fact that I can honestly believe that is a turn off.

Whoever it is, he's going to be voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch, our generation's James Earl Jones. :casca:

Griffith

Walter said:
PS: While Googling to confirm this stuff, I was just exposed to a variety of spoilerific rumors, so don't go too far down the rabbit hole, people... Turn back!

Already had that experience researching the stupid bad guy, might have ruined the whole movie for me because they casually referenced what would be the BIGGEST SPOILER EVER from an unrelated article. Of course, the linked article on the same site about that spoiler has paragraphs of warning ahead of time. Ultimately my fault for looking, but considering how tight they otherwise were with even mundane details I was peeved.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
When was the last time anyone saw Depp's real face in a movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hto3Jbawc1g ?

Hey, it could be worse, here's the first promo shot from Pirates Fuckin' 5 (working title):

johnny-depp_612x380.jpg

That about sums it up perfectly, except the ropes should be golden irons.

Joe Chip said:
woah, powerful scene, i felt really uncomfortable watching it.

Agreed, the hair, or lack thereof, looks funny, but the eyes and the way Depp sells it is good (though he reminds me more of Bill Burr than Whitey Bulger) . Maybe he should play more real people, reign in the over-Deppness he's suffered from since semi-retiring from acting to become Jack Sparrow full time.

NightCrawler

Fury Road is tracking 97% on RT (36 fresh, 1 rotten), and is being hailed as the best action movie of the decade.

NightCrawler said:
Fury Road is tracking 97% on RT (36 fresh, 1 rotten), and is being hailed as the best action movie of the decade.

YESH! I might go watch it on Thursday. When are you gonna see it?

One review said -
If Francisco Goya painted Heavy Metal magazine, it'd look something like Fury Road.

:guts:

Griffith

NightCrawler said:

I guess that's appropriate since I've been anticipating it for over a decade. I swear I remember reading about "Mad Max: Fury Road" in the late 90's. Part of me can't believe it's here and more or less as originally conceived, minus Mel Gibson. BTW, that would-be elephant is being handled by all parties with about as much dignity as could be:

http://nypost.com/2015/05/09/mad-max-creator-on-why-mel-gibson-was-cut-from-fury-road/

NightCrawler

Just went up to 99% with 85 reviews (only 1 rotten). The hype is unreal. Hopefully i can watch it tomorrow, in 2D of course.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Just went up to 99% with 85 reviews (only 1 rotten). The hype is unreal.

Wow, so now watch it inevitably tank at the box office, ensuring another 30 years until Mad Max 5: Mel's Deathbed Redemption! :troll: :azan:

NightCrawler said:
Hopefully i can watch it tomorrow, in 2D of course.

Of course, it's not even a decision here (I would have seen Avengers in 3D though, because why not, but the showtimes didn't work). I wish I could see this tomorrow but I have obligations and am trying to arrange for Friday... maybe if I go at midnight, "What a lovely day!" :ganishka:

Update: Got mine for after work Friday.

Saw Fury Road at a preview screening last night. I thought it was really solid throughout. There are some really impressive shots (a crash scene early in the movie involving Max really stands out).

I really hope this kicks off a new franchise.

^ now my hopes are up.

Still sitting at 99% with 2 rotten and 160+ positive reviews. Earliest I can watch it is Monday night because of friends from Toronto visiting cos they have a long weekend. SUCKS!!

Saw it last night in 2D. It feels like a Mad Max movie and that's a very good thing. So many little details, I honestly cannot wait to watch it again just to look at other parts of the screen. I was so nervous hearing about the troubled production.

It was exactly what the trailer promised.

My only little gripes so far are:

Immortan Joe's lightning fast demise. "Remember me!?" *Rip* Dead... I really expected him have one more scene with his jaw dangling. Oh well.

That AWFUL 3-D steering wheel at the end. Harkening back to the 3D of Jaw 3. Terrible.

Max's flashbacks effects had a direct to video feel to them.

This is an action movie. It's not Pride and Prejudice. It's pure action, whereas Avengers 2 is all over the place and convoluted.

Tom Hardy killed it, btw. I was itching to see him out of the mask. No more Hardy and masks, Hollywood! Enough! Some line delivery here and there felt a bit off. Giving it some thought though, he spent so long alone and then captured and tortured, he was kind of like the Feral Kid in part 2, what with his grunts and snarls up until the midpoint of the movie. By the end though, he was back to normal, more or less.

I want more! More, I say!

I have to agree with the above gripes, though I admit that
if Joe *had* come back
, it would have been a bit cliche.
I was thinking when it happened 'they always come back', and it didn't happen,
but it didn't bother me leaving the theater. My wife griped about
the flashbacks (in the beginning of the film)
being cliche but they weren't enough to bother me for more than a few seconds. I also called it when they were using that
dead 'tree thing' to winch themselves out of the quagmire. Had a feeling that was green-town turned to wasteland.

Also I really felt Tom Hardy's performance gave the effect of his being thrown off for being alone in the wastes for so long. Hard to gauge something like that without it being ott.

Griffith

I agree with the above gripes, except about Joe, and had a couple more; mainly nerdy nitpicks about the portrayal of Max (I could go on...) and his car, and the few minutes (total) wasted on typical characterization (this movie didn't need any to be a winner =). But, on that note... WHO CARES!? What makes this movie good transcends all that, including being a Mad Max movie at all. I'm almost ashamed I harbored such thoughts because it's like checking for stains on your stallion's teeth while on the ride of your life. The word awesome gets tossed around too much, but the action, visuals and creativity on display in this movie are truly awe-inspiring, like you won't believe what you're seeing (mostly in the good way), and that includes just some of the sets and backgrounds. Also, it should be mentioned that Charlize Theron's Furiosa stole the show and, as the poster suggests, is basically the real star of the movie or at least co-headliner. Anyway, I look forward to seeing it again, without Mad expectations, and just enjoying a most wild, but lovely, ride.

Top Bottom