Movies to look forward to

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
THIS is what Ridley Scott was too busy doing to properly shepherd along the followup his other best film? It literally looks like Friday the 13th with Aliens in it, which we've already seen! I hope it's just a rare case of a misleadingly bad trailer because this seems too unambitious for him to have bothered. Maybe it's so out there the trailer guys had to make sense of it for audiences... yeah, probably not. A shower scene? Geez.

At least they brought on Kenny fucking Powers as the original space trucker, I suppose. Maybe it's actually a comedy like Scream.

NightCrawler said:
After trying something new with Prometheus and failing (even though i applaud the effort, and would gladly pay to watch more movies that take chances, than the bland matinee filler we're forced to endure these days - looking at you Arrival and The Martian), we're back to basics! Alien meets Aliens with a protagonist that looks like Ripley.

While I agree that would have been much better and potentially redemptive, as it stands, save for a couple of interesting scenes and visuals (basically everything to do with the octopus baby proto-hugger), Prometheus and the intent behind it is really no better. It was stock sci-fi prequel schlock with enough pretension to fool you into thinking it could have been something better, but THIS is what was behind the curtain.

Thank the Farce Awakens for this diseased nostalgia ridden movie culture.

Sure, blame a movie that came out just a year ago and actually was an attempt at a modern tribute/facsimile (and worked!) I'm guessing The Force Awakens is going to make this look like Rogue One (though didn't Scott say this was going to be a *gulp* prequel trilogy :magni:).

The promise of a direct sequel to Prometheus sounded way more interesting than this soft reboot. Hopefully it's just a bad trailer to a good movie.

Right, I have to believe Scott didn't helm this just to make a bad slasher Alien ripoff like so many of his poor successors. Then again, if we've learned anything from this, maybe it's that Scott is just best at pointing his camera at stuff in pretty ways.

I'll watch it, Alien is my SW.

Lol, no joke, I was just telling Walter that between all these superfluous sequels and special editions Ridley Scott has becime the high-end, boutique brand George Lucas. In a few years you'll be begging him to sell to the white slavers at Disney. =)

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Aazealh said:
Wow, this defies anything I could have imagined. It reads like a bad God of War knockoff.

I remember reading it back in the day. If i'm not mistaken it was written before any God of War game (not that the themes are anything new), but taking into consideration the ending of Gladiator, and the very limited possibilities for a sequel, I think Cave did a good job, it was definitely inventive and imaginative.
Besides, he has proven himself to be a good script writer, The Proposition is arguably the best western since Unforgiven. Contested only by The Assassination of Jesse James, but that one is more of a visual masterwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUVsDy0sc3k

Rupert Sinclair said:
I really didn't like that trailer. I don't think I'll go out of my way to see this.

Looks alright, even if it does well I don't see the point in imitating what has already been done. I'm sure there are alien novels with better ideas than repeating the tried and testing base under siege story. I liked Prometheus for trying something new, I hope the backlash against the ambiguity of Prometheus didn't scare them into jumping on the nostalgia bandwagon.

Griffith

MrFlibble said:
I liked Prometheus for trying something new, I hope the backlash against the ambiguity of Prometheus didn't scare them into jumping on the nostalgia bandwagon.

What's perplexing is why Scott himself would return to this well now after wisely avoiding it for decades. If anything I would have preferred Prometheus went further afield than a reskinned Alien remix teasing the meaning of creation only to ultimately confirm that the space jockey did indeed pilot the ship, a revelation worthy of Rogue One. This certainly makes it look better by comparison though.

Ruhe Strom

'Moon Pie... what a time to be alive."
Griffith said:
What's perplexing is why Scott himself would return to this well now after wisely avoiding it for decades. If anything I would have preferred Prometheus went further afield than a reskinned Alien remix teasing the meaning of creation only to ultimately confirm that the space jockey did indeed pilot the ship, a revelation worthy of Rogue One. This certainly makes it look better by comparison though.

Perhaps they offered him enough money to have every succeeding generation of his family live in total comfort from now until the Sun consumes the Earth.
On that Rogue One note, you've just given me a hilarious idea that they might do a movie based on the 'many Bothans' who 'died to bring us this information'. And that's a genuine possibility considering how Disney thinks.

Griffith

Ruhe Strom said:
Perhaps they offered him enough money to have every succeeding generation of his family live in total comfort from now until the Sun consumes the Earth.

I may have stumbled on the answer, though it's not necessarily more reassuring, "Nobody asked." =) Now it all makes sense; it was taken from him! That and more in this worthwhile video (Blade Runner talk as well):

https://youtu.be/74nEMPCLkFg

That was a better promo for the film than the trailer, and I guess we should cut Scott the same slack as the new Star Wars and remember these films are a reclamation project as well. Anybody see Alien vs. Predator 2? It makes the SW prequels look good by comparison, so I guess I should just be grateful Ridley Scott cared enough not to simply leave the series in that state, but the risk is still high for a legitimate bad heir as opposed to an easilly dismissed bastard.

On that Rogue One note, you've just given me a hilarious idea that they might do a movie based on the 'many Bothans' who 'died to bring us this information'. And that's a genuine possibility considering how Disney thinks.

Oh hell, that's already what half the moviegoing population thinks Rogue One is about! It'll be Rogue Two: The Bothans and I'm not even half joking. It'll be something like that conceptualized and promoted as a direct sequel to this one. It's just too easy not to; it's already half done and the rest writes itself (somehow it's already got a stronger foundation in lore than Rogue One started with). Of course, the Bothans will be replaced as far as getting the plans by another rainbow coalition of pretty faces, but many will still die in the process to awkwardly bridge the gap to that throwaway line in Jedi and ostensibly justify the film's existence. In the last scene we'll see the Killed In Action mission data received by CGI Mon Motha just before the big meeting! :ganishka:

I look forward to seeing Sing even though it has been out for a while. It just looks really cute.

I'm also looking forward to to seeing Disney's live action Beauty and the Beast. It is one of my favorite animated disney movies and I am curious to see what they do in a live action interpretation of it.

i'm especially looking forward to see Wonder Woman. I can't wait for this one.

Ruhe Strom

'Moon Pie... what a time to be alive."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwy806RC2-Q

Apart from the low frame rate that seems to plague CG animation, this is lookin' pretty sharp. I may have to start reading the manga.

The Void, cult theme/group meets The Thing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDllMrBW62E

Raw - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6CPNO3C6M4

XX, an all female horror anthology - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5nNM47QQZQ

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
It's Alien Day today and they released a Prologue to Alien: Covenant which I actually didn't mind watching - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus

I like the throwback to the original soundtrack in the trailer and Shaw's face has this uncanny resemblance to Ripley's. They've been giving out a lot of information the past few weeks and I see it on my feed but I haven't seen it. From here on, I'll go straight to see it on the big screen.

Guessing there'll be some chat about it, shall we make another thread for it? Or merge it with Prometheus and call it 'Prometheus, Covenant chat'.

Johnstantine said:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/seth-rogen-evan-goldberg-adapt-robert-kirkman-comic-invincible-universal-990931

Finally a movie for Invincible announced. It's my all-time favorite American comic, so I'm really looking forward to what they cook up.

Outside of myself and Incantation, I'm not sure anyone else reads the series here. It's written by Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead) and it's arguably one of the best superhero comics ever. I recommend it to anyone.

Aaah nice! Didn't know they were coming out with one. This should be interesting.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
It's Alien Day today

Yaaayyy, more gimmick days! :azan:
Anyways, I watched "In Utero" earlier today. Was very short and picture quality felt a bit lacking, but a novel and cool enough take on the whole thing.

Griffith

IncantatioN said:
It's Alien Day today and they released a Prologue to Alien: Covenant which I actually didn't mind watching - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus

It's certainly more interesting than anything we've seen thus far, obviously more in line with the end of Prometheus and what the sequel promised, but a bit bittersweet to receive in trailer/prologue form unless this is what the movie's really about (seriously doubt it, sadly).

IncantatioN said:
Guessing there'll be some chat about it, shall we make another thread for it? Or merge it with Prometheus and call it 'Prometheus, Covenant chat'.

There's already a thread where Alien: Covenant should be discussed: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=9812.1600 :carcus:

Aazealh said:
Yaaayyy, more gimmick days! :azan:

And only 25 more days until Fahrenheit 451 Day! :guts:

Anyway, the Alien Franchise should get a whole week:

Friday - Alien :ubik:
Saturday - Aliens :badbone:
Sunday - Alien 3 :azan:
Monday - Alien: Resurrection :magni:
Tuesday - Alien Vs. Predator :schierke:
Wednesday - AVP: Requiem
gutsbarf.gif

Thursday - Prometheus :mozgus:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
IncantatioN said:

Oh great, the sequel that we should've gotten became instead another ad for this fucking soft reboot. Depressing.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Oh great, the sequel that we should've gotten became instead another ad for this fucking soft reboot. Depressing.

Yeah, it's pretty baffling. Why show this, a potentially interesting and still viable concept that can be better than or even redeem it's predecessor (its been done with less raw materials and skilled hands to work with), but instead make another derivative Alien clone? I want to see what's happening on that planet (though it did look a little like Ridley Scott's Planet Gladiator =) and the fallout when David drops a metric ton of shit into the fan. OR... we could watch Aliens attack people in the shower? I don't get it. :???:

And why is Scott not farming this tired retread out, the umpteenth Alien movie, but instead doing that to Blade Runner (lazy and lame =)? Maybe we should be grateful he isn't touching it. My God he really is turning into the rich man's boutique Lucas. I mean, he's always done some projects that clearly weren't his best work, but his best so far outweighed (in quality of overall contribution to the medium, not necessarily quantity) the lesser material it didn't matter. Eeh.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Dark Tower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsGwMnHj7QY

I put this here because, from the look of the trailer, it looks like the filmmakers might have made this better than the original. Which, to be honest, isn't all that hard, but still. Of course it's only a trailer and maybe the movie's really all about Blaine the Mono and all the other shit Stephen King rammed down our throats, but so far so good. I even find Idris Elba as Roland surprisingly more to my liking than I would have thought (given that the character is permanently associated with Clint Eastwood's man without a name in my brain).

Beat me to it. I agree with all you have said and want to add that I can also do without Potter references. From what I read so far the movie will be a continuation of the books. If successful a few movies of the same story told in a similar fashion that wraps up in a (hopefully) satisfying conclusion. Perhaps cutting out all of the fat into a leaner and more focused tale.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I didn't have time to watch the trailer again after work, but
wouldn't it would be awesome if Roland had a horn hanging on his belt in this version?
:slan: :slan:

Anyways, I'm not going to say that I'm going to miss whatever it is they cut out of most of the series, but book 1 was pretty enjoyable and I would be a little bummed if they "mainstreamed" it into a movie for young teens, which is the impression I got from the trailer. That said, I haven't seen any additional info about the movie's content, so I could be completely off.

But yeah, pumped for Idris Elba. The man's a powerhouse. Looking forward to what he brings to the role. Though, was it just me or did I picture his pistols being bigger in the books?

Top Bottom