Street Fighter IV

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Capcom's finally announced it. No information on what platform it'll be released (or when) yet, but there's a rather stylish trailer out: http://www.gamekult.com/video/8625701

They've also announced a PS3 version of Lost Planet containing all the X360 add-ons, and a new action-adventure game called Dark Void with a Sci-Fi theme.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CnC said:
still no street tho...

Yeah, I noticed that too. Come to think of it, I think I saw this on Newgrounds a few years ago, it just didn't say Street Fighter IV on it; kind of like the other 10,000 Street Fighter games out there.

First and foremost,

FUCK YES.

The announcement is enough for me, and despite all the Guilty Gears/Soul Caliburs/Tekkens/Smash Bros(?)/ Virtua Fighter/DOAs and the vast plethora of 2d/3d fighters/brawls since, Street Fighter remains my favorite.

I am a bit concerned once the trailer is finished, the Okami-style paint splatters/brush strokes are a nice touch from a trailer perspective, but there is the question of "lol 100% trailer" and how much of this is actually related to the feel/look of the game. I'm hoping unlike a lot of recent fighters (50% of the above listed actually) the focus on a console release is not the priority and they actually work on some form of arcade that allows for good balancing and the competitive quality I love SF for taking/stealing over $100 worth in quarters for in 15+ years.
CnC said:
still no street tho...
I got the pun etc, but it's not the first time Ken and Ryu have fought in some form of wilderness/outside of back alleys/shipping docks/japanese roofs. (SFII Animated Movie, SFA1 setting based on former, SFA2 snow etc)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Allow me to be the first to say it....

ryuistheincrediblehulkws4.png

Am I the only one that saw it (or took the time to shop it)? Anyway, get your umbrellas out for when they show Akuma. Fanboy jizz shall rain upon us.....

EVERYWHERE.

Uriel said:
Allow me to be the first to say it...

Am I the only one that saw it (or took the time to shop it)? Anyway, get your umbrellas out for when they show Akuma. Fanboy jizz shall rain upon us.....

EVERYWHERE.

Being a massive Ken fan, I didn't notice the incredible hulk that is Ryu's face, but for some reason for the first time ever I looked at Ken's incredibly masculine shag/mullet and said,

"Is that He-Man?...With the totally gay 80s haircut?"

Thanks to the flash that originated it.

Will Akuma even be in 4?...Er, most likely yes (answering my own question) but in a relevance to plot versus just being there as a hidden character or something. Maybe I'm being a bit assuming here,

So far this is what we know (Game wise, not counting udon's comics)

SFII - Akuma kills Bison and sends him to Hell, Ken either during SFII or after SFII beats Ryu in a decisive victory, Ken not counting his SFA2 victory as "true", and perhaps sometime during this Akuma and Ryu fight. SFIII comes along, Ken loses to Ryu and is more focused with his son/Eliza/his talentless hack protege Sean and Ryu is still traveling the world and gets his ass handed to him by oro/starts training under him, where as Akuma for whatever bored reason decides to sink an Island and tote how badass he is to a submarine below.

Basically kinda like this trailer I'm a bit confused what SFIV will actually be about. Ken hasn't fattened up and is fairly on par with Ryu as always (lest the trailer is purely aesthetic and we see Ken with a beer gut and a wife beater t-shirt on, he will be God Tier somehow). If we were to accept the "SFII" ages, they're well over they're 40s now and some in their 50s/60s, but if we play a little lingo and assume the games don't take place in the years they are released...either way, at this point, Chun Li...is...

Please god...No. My childhood, it is raped.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
If they could make a Street Fighter anime using the same style as seen in that clip, it would definitely be worth watching. Pretty darn cool.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Why are you getting a hard on for Ryu?
Ryu? Ryu!?!!
CnC said:
Well the trailer looks cool. No real opinions until I see some gameplay.
Yea agreed. But it's Street fighter, this is most likely only a prequel to its awesomeness.
KazigluBey said:
If they could make a Street Fighter anime using the same style as seen in that clip, it would definitely be worth watching. Pretty darn cool.
Yes true.. or just a remake of the shower scene part of the movie with Chun li & Vega! =x

Griffith

Yes, FINALLY, the sequel to Street Fighter III we've all been waiting for!!! :isidro:

Seriously, I don't get it. Street Fighter, of all the franchises out there, long ago sold out any rights it had to have any sort of excitement surrounding its "sequels." Until we see something revolutionary or good in the new engine, are we supposed to just get excited just 'cause it says 4 on it? Really?

I don't know, this would make sense to me if it was really only the 4th Street Fighter game released in the last 20 years, but the reality is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Street_Fighter_games

Add it to the list. =)

Griffith No More! said:
Yes, FINALLY, the sequel to Street Fighter III we've all been waiting for!!! :isidro:
Yes, a decade is a fair enough time to wait for it and be enthusiastic.
Griffith No More! said:
Seriously, I don't get it.
Explain why __________ game franchise is so popular and has X amount of sequels and spin offs? It's a moot argument, and completely needless.

One done surely a thousand times over forums everywhere except with a different headliner, all of which are franchises that can be turned and twisted to every "series" that has more than one game to the title, over which half I'd label as not actually adding up to the "sum of their parts" and either go for a random subtitle, reboot of a franchise, etc. Even "new" ips are seldom safe from this argument, Street Fighter is not the Alpha (LOL) and Omega of "endless updates and sequels". Every franchise has been subjugated to this, my question is why you feel the need to point out what we already know?
Griffith No More! said:
Street Fighter, of all the franchises out there, long ago sold out any rights it had to have any sort of excitement surrounding its "sequels."
There are only "ten" self established titles in the entire "Street Fighter" universe, the "Street Fighter" itself only having 3 entries between the late 80s and late 90s, with three entries from Alpha and Ex. Lest you're really desperate and want to count 2010 in the same way Hideo Kojima counts Snake's Reve..
oh wait, another series that hasn't quite equaled 4 pieces yet.

do we REALLY need to have hype for MGS4?

Oh I'm getting ahead of myself.
Yes, if you want to man the battle stations and hail the flag of captain obvious, its true, SFII itself has probably the most re-releases, but you act as if these were all intended to be bought and purchased and marketed/praised as a "new" entry when at absolute best it was giving serious competitors (namely in ARCADES) a reupdate for -their- own complaints/advice on how to fix balancing issues and doing the typical updated character roster. Over half of the "SFII" releases are on virtually every single console since the 4th (?) generation. Even now the Wii, PS3 and 360 all have incarnations of SFII. Again, Capcom isn't and hasn't ever tried to pass its upgrades off as actual "Sequels", and to think of them any more than the equivalent of a computer patch is simply missing the point.

Finally getting to the point yes, there's the Alpha and EX series. Why do you think they bothered with such subtitles and why do you think 4 is such a big deal? That is considered the main series, of which, the last iteration, SF3, within roughly 2 updates had nailed a perfect and well balanced system with an engine that was capable of better character/sprite animation years before people sang praises of GGX. So yes, it is massive news ten years down the road to know capcom is finally ready to go back to the route of the main series and finally are confident enough to use the actual "numerical" tag and take point forward with the main series.

If looking at wikipedia lists of every port and re-release of a franchise is what determines your hype for a game that in reality have little and nothing to do with why people are excited for the next entry, I'm all the more...happy, for you?

Griffith No More! said:
Sorry, I guess I was wrong to think people could be taking this too seriously. :schierke:
:judo:
Not really, again, I just felt the argument of "its called 4, is it REALLY the fourth one?" is somethisdgsaffsadraculahack PERHAPS THE SAME CAN BE SAID OF ALL RELIGIONS.
It's been said about every game with a sequel and really misses the reason why (as you yourself "asked" and I answered) people are looking "forward" to said sequel.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Well I get only really excited for true sequels, updates are nice which was what 3/4 of the SF games actually were, I mean I would never criticize the series of that though. IF you know your fighting games you know that with any popular series 3/4 games are gonna be updates, I mean look already at Guilty Gear XX I believe its on its 4th or 5th update, sure I get excited about those but when its a true sequel like this then its time to party. The only concern I have though is if its gonna be 3D I still have shivers of the EX series :miura: I just hope its still 2D thats all.

Griffith

I think I understand, my only question now is whether or not Jesus is coming back as a playable character or a boss? :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Come on Phoenix Wrong, don't be so defensive about it. It's a fact Capcom has whored this series with endless re-releases, regardless of each game's quality. They whored their other big series too, and in proportions that aren't easily equalled. Let's just agree we're excited because we all played SF when we were 10 and the straight "IV" implies it'll be a landmark title.

Omega Tom Hanks said:
Well I get only really excited for true sequels, updates are nice which was what 3/4 of the SF games actually were, I mean I would never criticize the series of that though. IF you know your fighting games you know that with any popular series 3/4 games are gonna be updates, I mean look already at Guilty Gear XX I believe its on its 4th or 5th update, sure I get excited about those but when its a true sequel like this then its time to party. The only concern I have though is if its gonna be 3D I still have shivers of the EX series :miura: I just hope its still 2D thats all.
Which was pretty much my point to GnM, there's countless updates and re releases for many series (Resident Evil's on 5, but in reality?) and again, some people refrain from spin offs/add ons/updates. I myself (since we mentioned GGXX) Had the original X, X2 and skipped to accent core.That will be my "last" X game until an official Guilty Gear Sequel comes out, which, ...at the moment, isn't even a fighting game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilty_Gear_2:_Overture
As for "by the numbers"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilty_Gear_%28series%29#Games_in_Series
(17+ at the moment, The first Guilty Gear came out in 1998, nine years)

As for actual on topic SFIV, I for one do NOT want 2d, namely in the form of sprites. I actually would love a -pseudo- 2d fighter with the trailer's visual style. EX had the bare basics, but obviously had several flaws in the transition. If they do stick with sprites, I hope they do so in a way that SFIII did back in 97, by raising the bar on such and not simply tapping it.

Aazealh said:
Come on Phoenix Wrong, don't be so defensive about it. It's a fact Capcom has whored this series with endless re-releases, regardless of each game's quality. They whored their other big series too, and in proportions that aren't easily equalled. Let's just agree we're excited because we all played SF when we were 10 and the straight "IV" implies it'll be a landmark title.
Which was pretty much my point Aazealh. It's obvious to -everyone- Capcom milked SFII (as companies still do today) I noted the "numbers", I said, however, they were irrelevant to what "4" implied, which is, as you said, that the choice to do so is intended to have a big impact, and not another drop in the sea of endless "SFII" revisions or another spin off. Again, the note on re-releases is already stated, everyone is aware of it and at best (as you said, "when we were kids") most people just played 1-3 max versions of SFII and stopped at that. Counting the plenty that haven't even touched the EX series, vaguely tapped into alpha and may not even realize they did release a third one, again, all the more reason its a big announcement.

Griffith

Well, it's neat, and I like Street Fighter too (II lol), but at this point I'm just desensitized to excitement about it for the reasons mentioned. I mean, I really had to think about it rationally to think of why it's exciting (and even then there's just reservations about style/graphics... Street Fighter doesn't even have the benefit of simply updating to the latest graphic engines, they almost CAN'T be too advanced without upsetting fans of the 2D gameplay style). Anyway, at the this point, the numbered sequels almost seem like the gimmick because they're the aberration rather than the norm. I mean, as nobody denies, even Street Fighter 4 is just the Street Fighter 4 before the next re-release of the new version of Street Fighter 4. =)

For more insight into my cynicism, I refer you all to the case of: Man, Mega.

P.S. Oh, and the trailer itself didn't do anything for me, as Uriel pointed out, looked like Marvel Vs. Capcom for the wrong reasons. Anyway, that didn't help since the strength of the whole thing seemed to rest on the roman numeral four.

Top Bottom