Our boy @ Kinokuniya NYC + New Project...

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

Ganryū mural at Kinokuniya!

inouegal12vj7.jpg

Sorry about the large header image, but I feel it's worthy of the space. Anyway, a couple of tidbits for those who frequent this humble corner of SK.net. AnimeNewNetwork was present at the Kinokuniya grand opening that I hinted at not too long ago. Aside from the excellent photographs of the Musashi, Kojiro and possible Otsu murals he did around the store, they snagged a decent interview. And, though not being part of the interview but his speech, this amazed me... I feel touched:

In a speech, Inoue commented that he was grateful to do the mural project, which was completed despite tight manga deadlines. He explained that after he finished working the mural each day he would return to his hotel room and continue working on manga, and that his editor had flown into New York from Tokyo for only a day to pick up the finished pages. Inoue concluded by treating the press to a glimpse of the work in progress, as he applied the finishing touches to the mural right then and there.

Legendary chap, eh? No worst case scenario this time.

Also, a website under the name 11.29 VagaReal went up recently. ANN reports that a "new project that combines his Vagabond samurai manga and REAL basketball manga. The project's details will be announced on November 29, but the website is already streaming a making-of 'trailer' that shows Inoue and his assistants working in their studio."

Musashi playing Basketball again a bunch of wheelchair bound kids? I have to see that :ganishka:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Awesome reporting. Those murals are gorgeous, but as for VagaReal, I just hope Musashi kills them so he can continue on his way. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the update. These murals are amazing. I'm diggin the Mushi one the most. Geez, what I wouldn't do to have that thing on my wall...

It's cool to be able to see Inoue's studio, and it kind of made me all giddy inside, seeing them all at work. Wish we could see the same thing with Miura. We've just seen small sketches of his place, and that was more than 10 years ago.

As for RealaBond, I'm skeptical already... what could these two series possibly have in common? It's pretty absurd sounding, just from the brief description that was given.

Uriel

What's wrong with this image?

dotiranohoudesukady3.jpg

Captions please, GnM! :carcus:

Basically, the VagaReal website got an update. Not much there really but a couple of new flash images and a bunch of Japanese about the two manga with some content specific sites. Is it worth a visit? Sure it is. It's got a pretty spiffy Special Movie and a nice download section that has an incredible high-resolution wallpaper with the cover image of Volume 27. There is also a place to vote for your favourite characters... but we're not given the option of Ito. It's rigged, I tell ya!

Anyway, IT-Planning hasn't got a preview up for us yet, but it is supposed to be out this week, correct?

Uriel

Live from New York!

Well maybe not, but if you're curious what he sounds like, then go about .75 the way through. He's the one who didn't jump ship to make a sub-par RPG for a FPS console (this sentence brought to you by late-night-spite). Feel free to skip the pointlessly long battle-scene demonstration =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
(this sentence brought to you by late-night-spite)[/size]

Someone didn't take her Vagareal tm :serpico:

but thanks for the link. My Japanese is a little rusty (non-existent), but did he say he did the character design??

Quite honestly I thought the character design in Lost Odyssey is pretty weak, and uninspired. Guess he was phoning this one in. :schierke:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well it depends on what your standard of "good" character design is for console RPGs. I mean... I personally think Square's general character designs are fucking ridiculous looking, what with their pointless belts and straps thrown everywhere. These at least look somewhat normal.

I think the strength of Inoue's character designs in his manga series is that each character manages to look distinct, even though they all (nearly) have the same hair color. That's pretty impressive  :guts:

Uriel

Just got back from NYC yesterday, and I bring evidence of Inoue awesomeness:

032008-NYC-10.jpg

032008-NYC-09.jpg

032008-NYC-08.jpg

032008-NYC-11.jpg

They were really, really beautiful. The entire store had Inoue's works all over it -- English and Japanese. You know you're having a good day when you come up an escalator only to be greeted by Musashi staring you in the face :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Im going to NYC for the next 5 days, and I plan to hit up Kinokuniya and get a pic next to Mushi. So excited :isidro:

Griffith

I got a call today from our boy at Kinokuniya NYC and the word is MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. Looking forward to hearing, and especially seeing, more of his visit. Is this place going to turn into a Vagabond Inn Mecca I have to visit too? God, I hope not, move to back to L.A. Inoue and paint a mural for us. =)

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
宮本 武蔵 said:
I got a call today from our boy at Kinokuniya NYC and the word is MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. Looking forward to hearing, and especially seeing, more of his visit. Is this place going to turn into a Vagabond Inn Mecca I have to visit too? God, I hope not, move to back to L.A. Inoue and paint a mural for us. =)

No kidding! Good job Walter! :guts: L.A. is way closer to me than N.Y.C. and also closer to Japan. Let's keep our finger's crossed :puck:

Griffith

Yeah, not to mention that Inoue even used to live in LA! :badbone:

comipress.com said:
Q: You lived in Los Angeles for a year. What's the difference between U.S. and Japan?

Inoue: I felt a gap in the status of sports. In the U.S. basketball is not just an amusement; it's a necessity in life. Top players have responsibilities in the society and are respected. On the other hand, in Japan, basketball games aren't treated with respect. People evaluate basketball games based on television ratings.

Q: Yes, over the years in Japan sports programs on TV are becoming variety shows.

Inoue: It's getting worse. If adults show such attitude toward the sport, kids won't be able to truly understand the sport. The kids should know the true value of the sport. In Los Angeles, there is a basketball court in every park, and many homes had basketball court as well, so people can enjoy playing basketball any time they want.

Q: There were a lot of foods, right?

Inoue: Terrific! At first I wondered if they were joking. At Starbucks, a "grand size" in Japan is equivalent to a "tall size" in the U.S., there is a huge gap in terms of the volume of foods. I was bewildered at first, but later got used to it and was able to finish everything.

I wonder what all those foods are good for...

Q: What about the different lifestyle?

Inoue: If you insisted nothing, you would be ignored. I think the students we will be sending will learn many things about life by living with students from another culture.

Q: Do you think athletes need an ego?

Inoue: I guess... In the U.S., ego is also not a good thing. Kobe Bryant was often criticized for his selfishness.

I just think the definition of "ego" is different between the U.S. and Japan. In Japan, to have ego as a necessity for players to win is something that receives criticism.

http://comipress.com/article/2006/12/15/1160

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mission accomplished. The place had a little Inoue corner with just about everything the man has done, Japanese and English counterparts of each. While there, I bought REAL 1,2 and 3, which I read on the plane home. Very promising series. I hope Viz continues to translate it. Anyway, on to the main event.

Here's a video I took of the view as you ascend the escalator in Kinokuniya.

And of course, here's the two murals, and if you CLICK them you can see the high-res shots for posterity.

Me, pulling a Sekishusai in front of a small, bewildered crowd of nerds.​

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
GREAT! :badbone: Now you are really invincible under the sun. Yeah Real is pretty good as well. Regarding to the video. You can't miss the mural, it's the first thing you see, even if you don't know of Vagabond, the face of Musashi gretting you as you ascend makes you wonder what is that painting for or where is it from? Good for you, that you had the chance to get next to it.

P.S. You could also seem to be pulling a Takuan from the recent scans.

Uriel

Gah, brilliant. Just like reliving that day!

Wally has officially joined the pantheon of Vagabond coolness. Griff and Bob are still climbing the mountain, it seems. Don't worry, though, guys. When you get there, you'll see how far you still have to go. Anyway, thanks for the video Wally! Like I said:

Uriel said:
You know you're having a good day when you come up an escalator only to be greeted by Musashi staring you in the face.

Griffith

Walter said:
http://skullknight.net/images/underheaven-small.jpg
Me, pulling a Sekishusai in front of a small, bewildered crowd of nerds.

LOL, fucking awesome duder! I bet everyone was bewildered, but if we'd been there, we would have only known just how cool were you. Seriously, you have to send that shit to Inoue himself. =)

Uriel said:
Wally has officially joined the pantheon of Vagabond coolness. Griff and Bob are still climbing the mountain, it seems. Don't worry, though, guys. When you get there, you'll see how far you still have to go.

Au contraire, I live in Takehiko Inoue's American home away from home, sunny Southern California! :carcus:

"URIEL!!... WALTER!!... AARRRGH! THEY'RE SO STRONG!... NO!! I'M STRONGER. ARRRGH!"

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Great shit Walter. I have to say you guys really have me interested in checking this out. Griff want to carpool?

That's a hell of a car ride for me, I'll just keep stompin' the streets Inoue used to walk on.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
宮本 武蔵 said:
That's a hell of a car ride for me,

It's not THAT bad. It's just a couple miles. On the other hand the drive to new york is a treacherous one, only those that wish to truly call them selves things can do so after going to that place.

I'll just keep stompin' the streets Inoue used to walk on.
Oh never mind you actually are the bigger fan.

I was there this past Sunday, took a break from putting up flyers for my pal's show tomorrow night ... my pics are Low Res cos they're off a Blackberry >_>'

IMG00076-20100718-1542.jpg

IMG00077-20100718-1542.jpg

IMG00078-20100718-1542.jpg

IMG00080-20100718-1559.jpg

They had one of the figures that's listed in the Merchandise section, price tag of $299 *phew*. Kinokuniya's definitely expensive, but they've got a lot more variety than the other local stores. Maan, I wish I could read Japanese, cos the section downstair's just amazing.

Griffith

I never get tired of seeing those murals. It's quite a nice collection of pictures we're growing. :SK:

That's a hilarious picture, Walter. When I first posted here I was not familiar with Vagabond at all. Checking the topic today, I understand the reference now ... Walt~gyū. By the way, they do not allow taking pictures anymore on the 2nd floor completely, so the only chance one could get is when they're riding up the escalator.

Griffith said:
Is this place going to turn into a Vagabond Inn Mecca I have to visit too?

Get on it! Chop chop.

Top Bottom