He fought the man and the man got phucked up

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071218/ap_on_re_us/officers_shot

MINNEAPOLIS - Two officers who raided an innocent family's house on a bad tip were shot at and returned fire, but no one was injured, a police spokesman said.

Vang Khang said Monday that he grabbed his hunting gun to protect himself, his wife and his six children when they heard someone burst through the back door early Sunday. He fired three shots, hitting two members of the SWAT team, but they were unhurt because of their bulletproof vests and helmets.

Officers returned fire, but nobody in the house was injured. Police released Khang after taking his statement.

All six of the children, ages 3 to 15, were home at the time.

Lt. Amelia Huffman said the officers went to the house listed on the search warrant, but it turned out the source was wrong.

Seven police officers were put on paid administrative leave as the department investigates, standard procedure when officers are involved in shootings, Huffman said.

Huffman declined to say much about the underlying case but said it was generated by a unit that typically handles drug and gang crimes.

Khang, 34, and his wife, Yee Moua, told reporters Monday night that they thought intruders had broken into their home.

Moua said she was watching television on the main floor when she heard voices and then windows breaking. She ran upstairs to tell her husband.

Khang said he grabbed the shotgun from a closet and fired three shots out his bedroom door. When his sons yelled at him that the intruders were actually police, he put down his gun and put his hands in the air.

"The whole family is badly shaken and still trying to understand what happened," Moua said. She and Khang showed reporters five broken windows and 22 bullet holes.

It's really good to see that no one was seriously hurt, but this is bull shit by the police of course. Why didn't they try to enter peacefully at first anyways? Instead they went kicking in doors.

Fuck the man.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071218/ap_on_re_us/officers_shot

It's really good to see that no one was seriously hurt, but this is bull shit by the police of course. Why didn't they try to enter peacefully at first anyways? Instead they went kicking in doors.

Fuck the man.

Well we don't really know what the underlying case was except that it was related to gang crimes. I'd say there's good reason for going in with a SWAT team. Not to mention once they were fired at they returned fire (nothing procedurally wrong with that). However none of that excuses the mix-up.

They're damn lucky they don't have any dead bodies on their hands (one of the six kids could have been shot), as there would be hell to pay.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The problem here is that they didn't bother to watch the house's activity at all, otherwise they'd have quickly realized they were on the wrong tail. I'm sorry but sending in the SWAT on a house without even bothering to check it themselves beforehand is retarded. What Lt. Huffman is saying here is basically "whoops, the source was wrong, not our fault!" I think they take this stuff way too lightly in a country where people are entitled to shoot anyone venturing into their house without their authorization.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
CnC said:
Well we don't really know what the underlying case was except that it was related to gang crimes. I'd say there's good reason for going in with a SWAT team. Not to mention once they were fired at they returned fire (nothing procedurally wrong with that). However none of that excuses the mix-up.

I have never heard of the swat team going in first. Even when I was in iraq we wouldn't go kicking in doors during a search/raid unless we were taking fire or the owner didn't open up. The swat team should have just been waiting till shots were fired, not be the reason shots were fired.

Aazealh said:
I think they take this stuff way too lightly in a country where people are entitled to shoot anyone venturing into their house without their authorization.

The dad was in the right. I think they'll have a hard time finding anyone that will convict this guy when it's clearly a case of self defence.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I have never heard of the swat team going in first. Even when I was in iraq we wouldn't go kicking in doors during a search/raid unless we were taking fire or the owner didn't open up. The swat team should have just been waiting till shots were fired, not be the reason shots were fired.

Fair enough. I'm just saying we don't know anything about the case they were investigating. Perhaps that has something to do with why SWAT went in first. But yea, nothing really excuses how fucked up an investigation it was.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
CnC said:
Fair enough. I'm just saying we don't know anything about the case they were investigating. Perhaps that has something to do with why SWAT went in first. But yea, nothing really excuses how fucked up an investigation it was.

Word. I understand what you're saying, it's just in my experience of being in the same situation we did it differently.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I'm almost surprised they didn't shoot him dead after he put down the gun and surrendered.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Word. I understand what you're saying, it's just in my experience of being in the same situation we did it differently.

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/12/welcome-to-the.html

"Well, we'd have some seriously bad press if we tried to use it in Iraq. . . . I know! Lets use it on our own people!"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/12/welcome-to-the.html

"Well, we'd have some seriously bad press if we tried to use it in Iraq. . . . I know! Lets use it on our own people!"

Don't diss the Silent Guardian! :puck: (It has its own thread, by the way)

Top Bottom