What mythological creatures haven't shown up in berserk?

What mythological creatures haven't shown of in berserk in some form or another? If we count the games we had Mandragora, this along with whats already appeared in the manga. Trolls, Orge, elves, Kelpie, and elementals. I think it's a given we're going to see more different ones later on. The question I want to ask is this: Which ones do you want to see, and which ones you don't?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
There's an uncountable number of mythological creatures that haven't shown up in Berserk, so I'm not sure it'd be very interesting (or even possible) to list them all. You did forget some that have appeared so far in the manga too, among the Kushan army for example (Pishacha, Daka, Garuda, etc) or the apostles (Locus is a sort of centaur, Rakshas derives his name from the Hindu rakshasa). Of course for the most part these are more light references than actual appearances of mythological creatures (for example Berserk's ogres aren't anything like traditional ogres, only the name connects them together).

Anyway, I can't really think of any particular mythological creature I'd like to see in Berserk at the moment, and I must say that I'm always fine with the original characters and monsters Miura comes up with. If I think of something cool I'll post it though.

Kraken, Leviathan, A non-apostle Dragon. A Griffin would be cool. A genuine Fire Elemental kinda like a Balrog. Werewolf, Hydra and some Gargoyles. I would prefer seeing non-Apostle versions of these. Hmm, what else, a banshee and some leather bondage biker midgets.. uhh, scratch the last one.

On a side note, I do prefer seeing Miura's own monsters but I am curious how his style would twist some of these creatures.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
A genuine Fire Elemental kinda like a Balrog.

A Balrog isn't a "genuine" elemental by any means. In fact I don't think it's proper to call them elementals at all.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
a fire elemental could look like anything.

Not traditionally (and not in the world of Berserk either, anyway). If we're talking about mythological creatures I think we should go by their mythological descriptions as opposed to whatever AD&D or any other RPG made of it, don't you think? For example, Ifrit are originally djinns and not elementals (the two not being related).

I get your point anyway, you'd like to see a monster like a Balrog, but I think it's important to give credit where it's due. Berserk's elementals are quite faithful to the original concept, even though they have a distinctive Berserk spin to them.

Well I don't really care about the Balrog, If I wanna see one I just watch LOTR.
What I wanna see will always be Miura's "version" of these mythological creatures. The thing I really wanna see though, is a real dragon, real centaur, etc. We've seen the Apostle versions yes but it would be very interesting to see the non-apostle versions (if they exist). The only reason I'm saying this is because we've already seen how different real elves are compared to Rochine and her minions.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Ramen4ever said:
Well I don't really care about the Balrog, If I wanna see one I just watch LOTR.
What I wanna see will always be Miura's "version" of these mythological creatures. The thing I really wanna see though, is a real dragon, real centaur, etc. We've seen the Apostle versions yes but it would be very interesting to see the non-apostle versions (if they exist). The only reason I'm saying this is because we've already seen how different real elves are compared to Rochine and her minions.

Uhh You won't see a REAL dragon or a REAL centaur in the traditional sense. You will always see Miura's "version" of these creatures. Apostle versions or not, the Berserk creatures are still almost completely original and, in my opinion, very, very loosely based on other such creatures from mythology or Lord of the rings or w/e. Elves and trolls are included in an infinite amount of stories and tales and they are all very different, and with Miura, they are even more different then the traditional types. Elves, trolls and witches are obvious ingredients for the fantasy elements of Berserk, but it seems boring or lame to just start listing all other random creatures from mythology and say "Minator's are cool! They should be in Berserk. But in Miura's own way of course." If you want to see those specific things, just go to the source.

Oburi said:
Uhh You won't see a REAL dragon or a REAL centaur in the traditional sense. You will always see Miura's "version" of these creatures. Apostle versions or not, the Berserk creatures are still almost completely original and, in my opinion, very, very loosely based on other such creatures from mythology or Lord of the rings or w/e. Elves and trolls are included in L an infinite amount of stories and tales and they are all very different, and with Miura, they are even more different then the traditional types. Elves, trolls and witches are obvious ingredients for the fantasy elements of Berserk, but it seems boring or lame to just start listing all other random creatures from mythology and say "Minitors are cool! They should be in Berserk. But in Miura's own way of course." If you want to see those specific things, just go to the source.

uhh, did you even read what I wrote?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Ramen4ever said:
uhh, did you even read what I wrote?

No. Maybe I just don't really get it. The question for this thread just seems kind of silly and pointless to me. I was just trying explain why I felt that way. Sorry I quoted you, I'm just not getting this thread I guess.

Edit: In retrospect I probably shouldn't have said anything in this thread unless I had something positive to say. In that case I'd like to see a Miura do a version of this guy.
mythjs9.png

Shot at 2007-12-25

Oburi said:
Edit: In retrospect I probably shouldn't have said anything in this thread unless I had something positive to say. In that case I'd like to see a Miura do a version of this guy.

Oh no... No more centaur please...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Badass mode ash said:
There are also ipotane.

Yeah but we were talking about centaurs here, so I don't see the usefulness of your post. Satyrs have goat-like features too, is this worth pointing out? Everybody loves Greek and Roman mythology!

C

cajunman380

Well... If I am not mistaken I do believe miura made several indirect references to creatures we have not seen. An example: when Shierke was having her "moment" with Guts at the beach at night she recalls her mistress taking to her about the sea and wee see a book with several pictures depicting creatures. One i believe is a mermaid and the other I believe is a Kracken(or I would like to believe, cm-on destructive sea beasts!!!! not the crap ones Ganishka made). When Flora was giving the group her talk about the astral world and its layers we saw an image of a unicorn, dwarfs and a female with elf ears (I have no idea what they are called.......) I wouldn't be surprised if this was an indirect hint that Miura intends to introduce these creatures in the future (Elfhelm) so I am looking forward to them. Truth be told I am surprised that we haven't seen giant spiders yet though I believe they have been used a lot in many fantasy stories.

I also do wonder if Guts will have to face off against an evil full fledged sorcerer at one point (I am not sure I should count Daiba since most of his power is from Ganishka) but knowing guts luck he might have to........

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
cajunman380 said:
One i believe is a mermaid and the other I believe is a Kracken(or I would like to believe, cm-on destructive sea beasts!!!! not the crap ones Ganishka made).

Yes, there's a mermaid, but the other one isn't a Kraken, it's just like one of the old depictions of "sea monsters" you can see in old books and maps. I know it's hard to believe, but once upon a time people thought this was how whales looked like. :guts:

cajunman380 said:
When Flora was giving the group her talk about the astral world and its layers we saw an image of a unicorn, dwarfs and a female with elf ears (I have no idea what they are called.......) I wouldn't be surprised if this was an indirect hint that Miura intends to introduce these creatures in the future (Elfhelm) so I am looking forward to them.

Yeah, we can see a bunch of unicorns and a couple of fair folk with pointed ears (no way to name them precisely without more information in the manga, though they might be a kind of elves). Maybe we'll indeed see some of them in Elfhelm! :guts:

Ramen4ever said:
Kraken, Leviathan, A non-apostle Dragon. A Griffin would be cool. A genuine Fire Elemental kinda like a Balrog. Werewolf, Hydra and some Gargoyles. I would prefer seeing non-Apostle versions of these. Hmm, what else, a banshee and some leather bondage biker midgets.. uhh, scratch the last one.

On a side note, I do prefer seeing Miura's own monsters but I am curious how his style would twist some of these creatures.

Set on fire Zodd and voila, yo have a Balrog.

cajunman380 said:
I also do wonder if Guts will have to face off against an evil full fledged sorcerer at one point (I am not sure I should count Daiba since most of his power is from Ganishka) but knowing guts luck he might have to........

When that happen, I believe Schierke will be likely the candidate against the sorcerer

Regarding sorcerer, we have yet to see most of them? I wonder if they are the male version of witches or what?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
When that happen, I believe Schierke will be likely the candidate against the sorcerer

Assuming it does happen. Even though Daiba wasn't a full-fledged sorcerer, he filled that brief antagonistic role well enough (not to mention Ganishka's cloudy self after the Kundalini was killed). Magic users like Schierke are rare, and they don't seem to be typically bad people. Can you imagine a "bad guy" going to the astral world and candidly asking a spirit to aid him?

Smith said:
Regarding sorcerer, we have yet to see most of them? I wonder if they are the male version of witches or what?

Well, Ganishka is one. Again, not a magic user exactly like Schierke, and an apostle as well, but he does use magic. I don't see a reason why there couldn't be males.

Aazealh said:
Well, Ganishka is one. Again, not a magic user exactly like Schierke, and an apostle as well, but he does use magic. I don't see a reason why there couldn't be males.

Not only Ganishka, Daiba and the others Acolytes(the ones who control the pishacha) cold be considered as wizards.

Top Bottom