Theory on what makes Guts so strong.

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
A lot of theories regarding his above average strength have been brought up. From him having Elfin blood in him to some unknown supernatural element to even scientific explanations. However My belief is that the Elfin blood theory does not hold up due to the fact that he has been stated by Miura that Guts is human. The Scientific version can hold more water due to the fact that science is the definition of how things work. Now it might make some sense however this seems like over analyzation. This maybe a realistic fantasy series but it still is Fantasy. My little theory is more on the fantasy level. Guts strength and come from his ability to go "Berserk". Whenever he's being overwhelmed by the Odds or infront of a difficult foe his berserk mode is the only thing that puts him above the others in the series. It does however make a huge difference. When fighting apostles (or moving blobs of corpses) Guts comes out on top when he is in that mode. He's practically unbeatable in that mode. His berserk mode has only been really used after book 13. From that point on it's been a staple of the series.  In the series he is the only one who can go Berserk. No one else can do what he does and he for the most part accomplishes his deeds by being in that berserk frenzy. Even the name of the book is called Berserk. It could easily be called something else given it's content. However that mode is what makes him special and makes him stand out from everyone else.

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
Gatts is the greatest genetic speciman in the Berserk world.  I don't think he is anything but a simple human.  But a DAM strong human.  Since the day he was born,  he learn to swing a sword as big as he is.  He have been training ever since.  On top of that, he had rough life.  Allot of shit have happen in his life.  His strength is one thing but his mind is real piece of work.  

He is the only one who can go Berserk because he have a such a strong will to survive. He also have such a burning desire to get revenge unlike no other.  HIS true strength is his motivation to kill Griff.  If u were him, wouldn't u do the same thing?

War can really fuck u up in ways u never expect.  Especially, if u r in a extreme situations.  A good movie to watch about war is The Deer Hunter, Bullet in the Head, Platoon,  Full Metal Jacket and Aploolpse Now.  This movie is very extreme and not for people who can't handle that.  The Rambo series is also good.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I dont know about that. Whether or not one is "Berserk" or not, is a moot point. Guts wouldnt be poewrful if he wasnt wielding a sword his entire life. Check out the beginning of volume 18; Guts fight against the Kushan assassins. He wastes them without breaking a sweat. Thats not Berserk. He actualy very rarely goes berserk, in my opinion. I can think of two times that come to mind. The eclipse, and recently in volume 20, when Guts sees "Void" taking shape.

Oh and when his "pain bar" reaches its limit and his eye glows red, then his sword is able to go through walls. Yeah.

Chinmi

So.....r your saying that Gatts have the ability to go Berserk because he is a freak. Thats possiblity since no one knows who his father is.

puella

Berserk forever
oops, my mistake.  Did anyone watch the Redux vision?  Is it good?
I did. it was so great. I love that scene with Wagner's Valkyrie.
It drive me crazy. but prefer "Deer Hunter" personally though Cimino's wedding scene is pretty damn boring.
And i'd like to commend another war(?) -movie "Buddy" by Alan Packer(bet wronog spelling) to understand Caska's mental state much more.

Oh and when his "pain bar" reaches its limit and his eye glows red, then his sword is able to go through walls. Yeah.

I'm pretty sure he still can't swing through walls in Berserk mode . What were the designers thinking when they made the levels? "7 foot sword + narrow corridors = fun". I will never know. ::)

Chinmi

It drive me crazy. but prefer "Deer Hunter" personally though Cimino's wedding scene is pretty damn boring.

Yeah, I like that movie too. U should watch Bullet in the Head by John Woo. Very insane!!! but its also about friendship and loyality. ;)

Kenoh-Sama

I dont know about that. Whether or not one is "Berserk" or not, is a moot point. Guts wouldnt be poewrful if he wasnt wielding a sword his entire life. Check out the beginning of volume 18; Guts fight against the Kushan assassins. He wastes them without breaking a sweat. Thats not Berserk. He actualy very rarely goes berserk, in my opinion. I can think of two times that come to mind. The eclipse, and recently in volume 20, when Guts sees "Void" taking shape.

Funny Guy. No I'm talking about something different. His Berserk drive isn't just a reason for him to go homicidal. People mentioned his strength of will, albeit true in the end is only a standard main character trait (Kenshiro has it, Gai Shishio has it etc) . That's not unique. What I'm talking about is the metaphysics of him being able to do things no one else can do given the fact that he is only human. A friend gave me a good example. When Guts and crew went to rescue Griffith Guts killed a dozen soldiers or so inside the dungeon. The commander who was outside waiting for him was saying Guts killed X amount of soldiers and foolishly wasted his energy. Yet Guts came out and slaughtered them even though he shouldn't have been able to. That's "Berserk". That's the intangible quality that Guts has. That's my philosophy on that particular aspect of Guts' physiology. No it does not mean that without it he's weak or that he's not human, far from it. It's just one of those usual "unanswerable to scientific observation" blah blah blah kind of things. Simply put that's what makes Guts so special.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Theres nothing scientific about being pissed off and killing people. Its just that hes the main character...

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Well, berserk is sort of a "psychiatric illness". He is actually a schizzophenic (forgive my lame usage of medical terms), which would explain a lot of his incredible strenght. My pal had something called "manic depression" I think, and he had these seizures, so once he had an attack of eer..madness, and he started to twst around and grind his teeth. He actually grinded his own teeth (nasty sight to behold) but when me and his dad and older brother tried to hold him down, he threw his dad (guy wiegh approx 90 kgs) across the room like a toy. I was real scared then. He seemed so frickin inhuman (teeth an all). Then the three of us charged him, smacked him to the ground and I guess he calmed down. At the time, I was 14 and my pal was 15. He weighed approx. 45 kgs at the time.
If Gattsu had some sort of schizzophrenia, already documented in wars and cnflicts, where ppl would go insane from stress and I don't know what else, he might actually pull off all of those stunts (well, most of them). I dunno, he also trained to be a warrior, so...and yeah, berserker were nordic warriors that wore bear skins (bear - serker) and were really nasty combatants.
I think.

Kenoh-Sama

Well, berserk is sort of a "psychiatric illness". He is actually a schizzophenic (forgive my lame usage of medical terms), which would explain a lot of his incredible strenght. My pal had something called "manic depression" I think, and he had these seizures, so once he had an attack of eer..madness, and he started to twst around and grind his teeth. He actually grinded his own teeth (nasty sight to behold) but when me and his dad and older brother tried to hold him down, he threw his dad (guy wiegh approx 90 kgs) across the room like a toy. I was real scared then. He seemed so frickin inhuman (teeth an all). Then the three of us charged him, smacked him to the ground and I guess he calmed down. At the time, I was 14 and my pal was 15. He weighed approx. 45 kgs at the time.
If Gattsu had some sort of schizzophrenia, already documented in wars and cnflicts, where ppl would go insane from stress and I don't know what else, he might actually pull off all of those stunts (well, most of them). I dunno, he also trained to be a warrior, so...and yeah, berserker were nordic warriors that wore bear skins (bear - serker) and were really nasty combatants.
I think.

Thats actually not a bad way of looking at it. It's pretty thought out. Certainly better than the "he can do it because he's pissed off" answer (Great observation ::)). My view is that what I said isn't science, It's theory, principle. It can't be proven or disproven. What you suggest is actually science. Pretty good really. It's making me think of the subject from a different perspective. What else do you think about the whole subject? I'm sure what you saw when you were younger was pretty damn freaky. Glad I wasn't there :)!

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Well, it is a scientific fact that people who undergo stressful, life endangerig situations sometimes go "berserk". As I said, it really happened in many wars, from the old ages til modern warfare. Japanese authors make large use of that aspect of the human mind. Just look at Evangelion and many other anime, not to mention the games, that use the term "berserk" as a standard mental state that can be provoked.
Truth is, it does exist, it is cliched, but it's also well explained in our case, the manga and anime. Gatsu has a very plausible reason to be a berserker (history of abuse, battles, etc), and he doesn't really berserk every time he fights, but only in special situations. Even tough, he seems aware of his state. I don't really remeber exactly, but when fighting roshinu, he says to himself something like "I need to awaken my desire to kill / fight" and then he goes really nutto. So, summing up...I don't know what I just said... :D

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
Well, it is a scientific fact that people who undergo stressful, life endangerig situations sometimes go "berserk". As I said, it really happened in many wars, from the old ages til modern warfare. Japanese authors make large use of that aspect of the human mind. Just look at Evangelion and many other anime, not to mention the games, that use the term "berserk" as a standard mental state that can be provoked.
Truth is, it does exist, it is cliched, but it's also well explained in our case, the manga and anime. Gatsu has a very plausible reason to be a berserker (history of abuse, battles, etc), and he doesn't really berserk every time he fights, but only in special situations. Even tough, he seems aware of his state. I don't really remeber exactly, but when fighting roshinu, he says to himself something like "I need to awaken my desire to kill / fight" and then he goes really nutto. So, summing up...I don't know what I just said... :D

give me some mushroom, then even i could be a berserker! the berserkers in history are one of the most famous examples of drug-users.

puella

Berserk forever
give me some mushroom, then even i could be a berserker! the berserkers in history are one of the most famous examples of drug-users.
Here is your mushroom which i keep for my breakfast soup.
take it eintrigga!
I give up my breakfast menu to witness eintrigga turning into a berserker~ ;D :D :)

There`s a very scientific reason as to why Gatts is in such good shape. He goes to the gym  every day. Yeah, yeah I know what you`re thinking:The other guys in Berserk go to gyms too! But Gatts goes to only the best gyms and he has a really good weightlifting program.

puella

Berserk forever
There`s a very scientific reason as to why Gatts is in such good shape. He goes to the gym  every day. Yeah, yeah I know what you`re thinking:The other guys in Berserk go to gyms too! But Gatts goes to only the best gyms and he has a really good weightlifting program.
it's too scientific to take. 8)
I'd add one thing the owner of that gym may let Guts for free relating to commercial effects.

park-charon

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
from my point of view fews things can explain guts strengh :
first:
the theory of NIETZCH is "what doesnt kill me make me stronger ...." just collect how many time guts survive .....
second :
guts was trained since childhood to raise a sword bigger than him ( no others size in training camp say gambino friend ..) so he was costumize to use sword even bigger than him
third :
when guts fight , in one way he enjoys fighting and got time to time only that in life (he thinks till caska) then he has no remorse in killing or being savage in fight ...

Top Bottom