"Too big, Too thick, too heavy, and too rough..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets say that Guts' started the series carrying a different weapon from instead of sword, but the weapon like the dragon slayer is "Too thick, too heavy" to really be called the weapon it's in the shape of.

Just how "Too big, Too thick, too heavy, and too rough" would any of these weapons have to be in order to fit with the too much theme of the dragon slayer?

A sixshooter

A quarterstaff

A spear

A pole arm

An Axe

A mace

A knife

A shield

Brass knuckles

Long bow

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Not... really sure what you're getting at here. Are you asking what a natural replacement of the DS would be, given the character of the weapon?

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Um.....

How about a giant slab of steel that is in the shape of a sword that also harbours evil ethereal energy? That would do the trick.

Either that or a Sanosuke's zanbatō. Either works. ::)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Fanboy Reaction: OMG dude, stfu! Nothing can replace the DS! It's just perfect for Ga -tsu's character. I object to this thread on principle.

Normal Reaction: OMG dude, stfu! Nothing can replace the DS! It's just perfect for Guts. I object to this thread on principle.

Troll Reaction: ...long bow

Guts carries a big sword, a really big sword, the idea behind this is if he's going to end up using different weapon rather then a sword, that weapon would be real big too, much like the DS. I recall seeing him use a large staff weapon as an alternate weapon in scene for one of the games on youtube, thing is while it was a staff, it certainly was allot bigger then anything we've seen Azan carry around; the sort of thing staff you'd expect Guts to wield if he ever got a staff that suited him due to his strength and ability.

Can you think of what the the weapons listed would be like if they were "Too big, Too thick, too heavy, and too rough" to be what they're supposed to be the same way that the dragon slayer is "Too big, Too thick, too heavy, and too rough" to be called a sword? The DS is less of a sword and more of a giant slab of sharp metal with a hilt fastened on so you'll know what direction to point it in when you want to hit something and make it dead - Whether or not it was alive in the first place.

Maybe this pic will help:

263.png

It's from the drawing board, the title for it was "That's not a crowbar...it's more like a steel beam."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Badass mode ash said:
Lets say that Guts' started the series carrying a different weapon from instead of sword, but the weapon like the dragon slayer is "Too thick, too heavy" to really be called the weapon it's in the shape of.

Honestly, other weapons don't work as well as a sword, because swords are supposed to be rather light and slender. It's what makes the DS so remarkable.

Badass mode ash said:
A sixshooter, A quarterstaff, A spear, A pole arm, An Axe, A mace, A knife, A shield, Brass knuckles, Long bow

Honestly a lot of those options sound a bit ridiculous. A shield isn't even a weapon, you know. And a six shooter? What? How about a shotgun or a blaster then? Now like I said, the problem with your list is that many of these weapons are already heavier than a sword in the first place. To be as outrageous as the DS, they'd have to be plain huge. I guess if your long bow shot arrows with a diameter of an inch, all in metal, and at about 20 times the power they're normally shot, it'd get close to what you want. I'd say Azan's quarterstaff is already too thick and heavy to be realistic, so just look at that. For the rest, giant versions of all those weapons shouldn't be too hard to imagine.

Badass mode ash said:
I recall seeing him use a large staff weapon as an alternate weapon in scene for one of the games on youtube, thing is while it was a staff, it certainly was allot bigger then anything we've seen Azan carry around

No, it isn't bigger at all. In fact it's basically a slightly modified version of Azan's first staff. It's wielded by a boss in the game (second boss, the undead one). All the alternate weapons Guts can use in the game are from other characters or from the manga. The thing you're missing here is that the staves we've seen Azan use are huge already, and are completely made of metal. For info, real quarterstaves were made of wood.

Badass mode ash said:
http://www.skullknight.net/forum/oekaki/pictures/263.png

It's from the drawing board, the title for it was "That's not a crowbar...it's more like a steel beam."

Yeah, but this is a joke. Not supposed to be taken seriously.

A

avidwriter

Badass mode ash said:

Just how "Too big, Too thick, too heavy, and too rough" would any of these weapons have to be in order to fit with the too much theme of the dragon slayer?

What I thikn he means is, how would these have to look to be the same as the DS. The DS is a sword that no normal man could wield, its too long, to thick etc. So my chioce would be axe. To heavy, too large, too long. It would have a sythe like blade, thick but twisted so the point would fold back onto itself so you couldnt impale with the edge just swing and watch it split people in half. It'd have to be full metal too no wooden handle.

I think that was his idea. He never meant it to be a "would be replacing the DS post" it isnt by far if you read it like he inteneded. He only wanted to see what people would come up with. For example some might say the DS is not logical to be a sword. Just like a six shooter that shot tank shells would be. Or even a staff that was as thick as a tree.

avidwriter said:
What I thikn he means is, how would these have to look to be the same as the DS. The DS is a sword that no normal man could wield, its too long, to thick etc. So my chioce would be axe. To heavy, too large, too long. It would have a sythe like blade, thick but twisted so the point would fold back onto itself so you couldnt impale with the edge just swing and watch it split people in half. It'd have to be full metal too no wooden handle.

I think that was his idea. He never meant it to be a "would be replacing the DS post" it isnt by far if you read it like he inteneded. He only wanted to see what people would come up with. For example some might say the DS is not logical to be a sword. Just like a six shooter that shot tank shells would be. Or even a staff that was as thick as a tree.

Thank you for getting it right! :serpico:

Here's an example of a staff, that's too thick to be called a staff.

Well when you post a pic like that.. sure, I'll join in :guts:
I'd have to say a flail / chain and ball.. only the ball would be huge and spikey.
(think Shikijou from Rurouni kenshin or Witch king from LOTR x 5)
" Thats too big, thick, heavy and rough.. it's more like a damn Wrecking Ball."

lol :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
avidwriter said:
He only wanted to see what people would come up with. For example some might say the DS is not logical to be a sword. Just like a six shooter that shot tank shells would be. Or even a staff that was as thick as a tree.

And like I said right above your post, anyone can just think of giant versions of any cited weapon to get the intended result. It's not really something worth discussing. Yeah so a staff the size of a pillar would be pretty big, uh? How about brass knuckles so big they completely envelop the hand and forearm of the wielder? And they're just metal balls with spikes and blades on them! :isidro:

I would pay to see this thread influence a live action berserk.
It would be like ridiculous on steroids. :troll:

Badass mode ash said:
A sixshooter

Sorry guys I'm afraid the DS has just became obsolete, Gut's must adapt to modern warfare. Hell let's just strap one of these on his back.

Ramen4ever said:
Sorry guys I'm afraid the DS has just became obsolete, Guts must adapt to modern warfare. Hell let's just strap one of these on his back.

There is no limit to the absurdity that this thread can go...

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
Yep, the Dragon Slayer is Guts favorite weapon, I don't think replacing it with some other weapon could work. Heck, Schierke tried, but Guts turned her down. Not stupid magic ax or whatnot could ever replace the Dragon Slayer imbued with the power of thousands of dead souls!

Edit: I do love reading it when Miura puts it in the manga. Too thick, to big! It's more like a slab of metal! It always makes me crack a smile.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Donald Shimoda said:
I'd never want to see Guts wield anything but the DS, unless it broke, and he found a sword that was even bigger...?
Billybob said:
Yep, the Dragon Slayer is Guts favorite weapon, I don't think replacing it with some other weapon could work.

You people miss the point of the thread, which is to speculate what another kind of weapon would be like following the concept of the DS, and not whether Guts would want one or not.

Since this thread has already degenerated enough as it is, I'm locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom