New Readers (No Spoilers)

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Re: New readers (use spoiler tags)

I have my reviews from Volume 23 to 28. Since after that I started reading the downloads we discuss in the current episodes thread.

Volume 23. I am glad that Matahachi finally found the real Kojiro. And now knows he's nothing compared to him and Musashi. But of course he had to try to gain something from it. He made it into the Yoshioka without being killed after being recognized he was the one who burned the place a year ago. Ueda trying to make Kojiro the replacement for the match seems to me that he knew already Musashi would beat Denshichiro. The drinking and eating of Matahachi and Kojiro at the Yoshioka is quite pleasant and Matahachi opening up to a deaf Kojiro kinda makes it like he's cheating at revealing this to Kojiro. That talk between Koetsu and Musashi seem similar to the one Godo and Guts had. And that scoundrel Matahachi, why didn't he give the certificate already?

Volume 24. It's starts with Musashi napping and dreaming or remembering about his childhood. It seems that he was more Kojiro-Yagyu in that. I like it how he says the sword will show him the way, and that he needs no teacher. And like Yagyu said "All is one". Nice! Musashi and Kojiro meet once again after Sekigahara. Musashi seems to know him, but can't remember. He realizes that Kojiro still has what he used to have when he was young and practicing in the mountains. Musashi admits he moved away from that awareness he used to have. It wasn't his father or the people around him. Ëven this is a setback, but from it he has learned something new again. : -)
Kojiro and Mushi playing with the sticks seemed something I did once as a kid too. Now they know each other's names. Denshichiro is going to fight Musashi after banishing Ueda. And that boulder training seem kinda funny to me. Musashi leaves for the match and Ueda tries to stop him with a gun. That was not enough to stop Musashi, but he gets a warning that vengeance is coming up if he manages to kill Denshichiro. Wow! all the major spectators are there for the Match. Osugi,Takuan, Otsu, and Jotaro.Great! Funny when he's cutting into the crowd, Osugi calls him bastard,Takuan Musashi, and Jotaro Master.The Duel starts and know the aspects seem reverse from a year ago. Musashi analyzing how to cut Denshichiro seems to have mature on that matter, but rushing in with no sword(Perhaps trying to imitate Yagyu's teachings. You know when you don't have to draw your sword no more LOL)

Volume 25. The duel seems to go fast after Musashi draws his sword. Denshichiro now knows he's no match for Musashi and goes all out to take him with him. Just the opposite from a year ago. Even Musashi ask him to stop the duel, but I guess Denshichiro didn't want to break the promise to fight Musashi again. When I read Vol. 21 I thought that was the way Denshichiro was killed, but to see the rest of the fight and see the entire outcome sure was great. Now Ueda will do what he promised in Vol. 24 and get revenge for Denshichiro. Musashi and Matahachi's meeting sure was something I didn't expect to happen. Matahachi can't help it to feel so inferior to his childhood friend and just tries to get to him with derogatory terms. At least they met and talk for a bit. Good thing Matahachi got his whack from Musashi after talking about Otsu that way. So now he knows he has lost a friend. So our new headmaster Ueda is going to ambush Musashi. Forgetting all about honor and respect as a swordsmen. Surprising enough Musashi like a wild beast lingering on the three above listening. hehehhe. So Mushashi think he was going to die after taking on the 70 men of the Yoshioka. Saying "The spiral of killing couldn't get any worse". He remembers Osugi and Matahachi and the misunderstandings they have of him. He even has some tears from the memory of the Matahachi that has become now. He also remembers Otsu. oh poor Musashi. Ueda and his gang are confronted by Musashi, This seemed like the old reckless Takezo. You know take advantage of the situation. Better odds of winning that fight than 70, so he says. Takuan arrives to save the day, and they go off to have a drink. I like what Takuan tells Musashi. "You've become kind. That means you are strong. The strong are always kind." As Musashi is leaving, he has a change of heart and returns to the meeting place that Ueda told him. That sure made think of Musashi of his old self.

Volume 26. Musashi arrives on the opposite side the Yoshioka were expecting him from. I was surprised he poke the eyes of one guy and then punch the other one, instead of cutting them first. Then, he goes right after Ueda cutting that ear and part of the face.(ouch). The fighting is intense from the beginning. Just like Takuan says he's kind now. He thanks the Yoshioka for giving him that year to comeback. Horikawa's face full of surprise, when he found out Musashi was in the mountain path instead coming from the temple was sweet.Since he said himself that Musashi wouldn't get near Ueda. And the battle continues, Horikawa tries to go for Musashi but with no success, if he made the extra effort while Musashi was giving him his back he could have injured him at least, but too late for him. There are cuts to the eyes, legs, neck, it's just like target practice. Knees to the testicles, hilts to the head.There's even some wrestling moves there. It just goes on and on. So now, they know they are no match one on one, have to swarm him. But first let him get tired. Musashi's check on his jaw thinking it was chopped off was great. Here he is fighthing all this men and still tries to check if something's off. Did you guys get what Takuan is saying. I had it all in Japanese writing, I'm thinking is like some praying chants or something like that. And the crows are gathering for a feast. It's a good contrast when they show the people in Kyoto just waking up, eating their breakfast and going to daily chores, as the Yoshioka are fighting Musashi.And the time to ambush Musashi when tired has arrived. Musashi goes into a thinking mode while fighting and starts to daydream, which costs him an injury. I like that pic they used of all the rats rushing towards the cat. Musashi and the Yoshioka alike are even using mud to cover their eyes. Hey anything can be a weapon in a battle! Ueda still lives! I like that thought Musashi had about the rabbit in the river and thought of himself just going with the stream and not get caught up in something to disturb his flow.

Volume 27. Kojiro misses Musashi, but he's in a fight right now. Wow, they got Musashi in the ground, but was quick to recover. At least someone thanked him for figthing him since the way of the sword is passing by now. They keep fighting, Musashi just keeps getting more tired, but at the same time not letting up and keeps killing. Ueda at least realizes they were no match for Musashi. Now that most of them are wiped out. At least they are going out before the sword really had no more value. Musashi finally finishes this carnage and starts to feel the pain of his injuries after he's cooling down, unaware that Ueda and his helper are on the way to take him out. I guess now he's thinking alittle bit more what just happened. He killed so many men, and remember what Takuan told him before. That flashback of Ueda was interesting, At least I know somewhat where he came from. He had a Chance and took it. Poor Musashi...and then just moments later another stab by Akemi and then she's off too. Then Kojiro writes his name on the snow, is like Musashi sensed it. So that's what's next for him so he thinks.

Volume 28. That's how kohei got the cut from Kojiro. It seems that was the famous swallow cut Kojiro's known for. Matahachi once again is the one to save Musashi after Fighting the Yoshioka.Now the three from Miyamoto village are together in one place. Matahachi is at least somewhat sorry for what he did to Otsu. Takuan asking Otsu to stay by Musashi's side. I think he's doing this knowing Musashi's injury and also to keep him away from fighting again. Funny first Otsu comes in to talk to Musashi about where his path ends and tries to sleep besides him, and reconsiders, but has to go back in there as Matahachi enters. He tells Musashi that Otsu loves her, but I guess he knew that all along. The rumors have spread and everyone's talking about Musashi. He's become a celebrity. Now, that Musashi realizes he can't use his leg for now, he's becoming irritated by it. Takuan and him have a talk. A good one I might add. What's after this Musashi.Is this it? At least for now you can't fight for a while. And now the authorities come in to take you. Not an official fight? as if any of the fights he had before were official. Oh well time to hit the slammer Musashi.

I picked up my volumes today. It's a much nicer experience to have it physically rather than reading it off a computer screen. Maybe I'm just too happy but I feel like I can appreciate the artwork and the story much more now that I actually have it in my hands.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー

I finally picked some up and I must say even though I've only read the first Volume, I'm ready to give this a big chance. Now to make time.

Ko Ninja said:
I finally picked some up and I must say even though I've only read the first Volume, I'm ready to give this a big chance. Now to make time.

I felt the same way. The story just makes you want to read more and more, and learn more about Musashi (or should I say Takezo) and hell even Matahachi. :mushilaugh:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Nice reviews branded, makes me want to read through those volumes again, it's been too long! :mushigrin:

Shane said:
I picked up my volumes today. It's a much nicer experience to have it physically rather than reading it off a computer screen. Maybe I'm just too happy but I feel like I can appreciate the artwork and the story much more now that I actually have it in my hands.

No, that's totally the case, the scans are actually quite unflattering to the series.

Ko Ninja said:

Glad to hear it, I hope you can make the time to enjoy the rest and tell us what you think.

slan69 said:
I felt the same way. The story just makes you want to read more and more, and learn more about Musashi (or should I say Takezo) and hell even Matahachi. :mushilaugh:

I think I've learned more than I wanted to know about Matahatchi a loooong time ago. :mushilaugh:

I'm on volume 26, I just ordered the next 3!

volume 26, the fight with the Yoshioka is dawn good ! So hard, so bloody ! I had mercy for the Yoshioka members at the end...they are powerless. I wonder if one day Musashi and Kojiro will fight....

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
Unfortunately, I haven't read any more volumes since I last posted. :mushiugh:

That sucks man, what's the reason for this unfortunate occurrence, lack of fundage?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

宮本 グリフィス said:
That sucks man, what's the reason for this unfortunate occurrence, lack of fundage?

Yep, I've spent almost $400 on car repairs this month and another $160 for an eye exam and new contacts. Hopefully, I can order another volume or two the paycheck after next, since this coming check will be for next month's rent.

Griffith

Ouch, the trifecta, medoical, car, and rent. I hope at least the first two don't give you anymore trouble for a while, was the car just in need of repair for a while, or did it break down on you? Anyway, I can see why you haven't been able to continue the story; you don't want to become a vagabond reading Vagabond. :mushilaugh:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

宮本 グリフィス said:
Ouch, the trifecta, medoical, car, and rent. I hope at least the first two don't give you anymore trouble for a while, was the car just in need of repair for a while, or did it break down on you? Anyway, I can see why you haven't been able to continue the story; you don't want to become a vagabond reading Vagabond. :mushilaugh:

Yeah, the Trinity of Terror. Luckily, the car can be repaired for free at the dealership, since the problem has to do with a recall from a few years back. However, it took $400 worth of labor to discover what the problem was. I blame Causality. And as much as I'd love to train in the wilderness and risk death time and time again, I'd rather just chill in my apartment reading Berserk (and Vagabond) after I get home from work.

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
Yeah, the Trinity of Terror. Luckily, the car can be repaired for free at the dealership, since the problem has to do with a recall from a few years back. However, it took $400 worth of labor to discover what the problem was. I blame Causality.

UGH, that's the worst! What a ripoff, see if you can't sneak in a $400 rebate with whatever work they do for you.

Rhombaad said:
And as much as I'd love to train in the wilderness and risk death time and time again, I'd rather just chill in my apartment reading Berserk (and Vagabond) after I get home from work.

And I hope you're able to get back to it soon (though re-reading the previous volumes is always fun =). Yeah, I'd much rather rough it in the woods vicariously through Musashi than do it myself.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

Rhombaad said:
Yeah, the Trinity of Terror. Luckily, the car can be repaired for free at the dealership, since the problem has to do with a recall from a few years back. However, it took $400 worth of labor to discover what the problem was. I blame Causality. And as much as I'd love to train in the wilderness and risk death time and time again, I'd rather just chill in my apartment reading Berserk (and Vagabond) after I get home from work.

Too bad about your recent situation Rhombaad. Hopefully next time a recall comes you don't have to deal so much trouble. Don't worry as Ittosai said to Kojiro, "Everything must be new to you, don't rush it. Otherwise you'll get bored". :mushiwink:

I've got volumes 1 - 20 nicely shelved. Taking all of those home in one trip was a bit of a strain. I technically read all of the current volumes online but I don't really trust those translations. With my physical copies, I'm on volume 6 but since my second year of college started, I hardly get any free time and I would prefer to read the entire volume in one sitting.

Griffith

Good to hear, congrats on lugging home all those things home, I've carried all mine around before in a duffel bag, and even that was a bit unruly, especially when you add about 10 more volumes. :ganishka:

Anyway, I recommend trying to read one before bed if you can hit the sack with a little extra time set aside for it some nights.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Th3Branded0ne said:
Too bad about your recent situation Rhombaad. Hopefully next time a recall comes you don't have to deal so much trouble. Don't worry as Ittosai said to Kojiro, "Everything must be new to you, don't rush it. Otherwise you'll get bored". :mushiwink:

Thanks man. Turns out, the recall didn't pertain to my vehicle identification number, so I took it to my mechanic who fixed the problem for another $400. They would've charged me way more at the dealership, so I decided to have my mechanic take care of it instead since he's a friend of the family and won't screw me over. I just got paid on Monday so I'm good to go now. Last month was pretty tight cash wise.

Griffith

That's great to hear, I hope all that's behind you for good now!

Griffith

For sure, and I hope you're able to get back into Vagabond soon.:badbone:

Well, we're caught up with Shane and Rhombaad, anybody else have news?

Re: Current Episodes Thread

I hope this is in the right section.
I progressed a bit farther in the series, I'm on vol. 12 at the moment. I'm surprised how much
the death of uncle gon
gets to me :iva:

Re: Current Episodes Thread

Shane said:
I hope this is in the right section.

I would say maybe it should go in the New readers thread, I am not sure though but that's what I did as I progressed through the story, I posted my thoughts about it in that thread. If you are going to post in the Current Episode Thread there really is no need for spoiler tags, Griff told me that since this thread is about the current episodes of Vagabond that are coming out, people who enter the Vagabond Inn should no that they are in for spoilers if they enter this thread :serpico:.

Shane said:
I progressed a bit farther in the series, I'm on vol. 12 at the moment. I'm surprised how much
the death of uncle gon
gets to me :iva:
Yeah I felt really bad for uncle Gon as well, he was a nice man
and he died
trying to protect that idiot Matahachi. :sad:

Top Bottom