About the "Snake Baron"

A

avidwriter

I did a search for "Snake Baron" as I think he was refered to by that name at least once but I guess not. Somehere else maybe.

Anyway. I was wondering. What was the real purpose of him showing up during the golden age. I don't have the manga in front of me but I think it was either 12 or 13. I just re watched the anime again recently after rereading berserk.

So two questions. What was the purpose if any? Is it possible that he used Griffiths behelit to become an apostle right there? Even I don't think thats possible but you see it in the same "area" as him so its assumed. If this has been brought up before I'm sorry that I didn't look harder.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
He doesn't have an official name, no. And I'd guess he's shown in Volume 10 to show off the fact that Apostles were gathering for the Eclipse. Rosine and the Count were also shown around that time, ya know.

And no, he could NOT have used Griffith's Beherit since that one is only for future God Hand members. Ya know, once every 216 years. It's no whore Beherit, like those nasty greens that get passed around :carcus:

It's just shown after that scene to show how it's still around, travelling towards some destined place (which we all know now).

I think Walter hit the nail on the head. They were there because they were gathering for the eclipse.

Perhaps, they were getting anxious to get there hands on the pre-determined sacrifices and that is why they attacked the Hawks camp like that. We all know that the Count and the Snake Baron had an unusual blood lust and enjoyed torturing humans and Roshinus playful and mischievous personality.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
EndlessSky said:
I think Walter hit the nail on the head. They were there because they were gathering for the eclipse.

Well that didn't really need confirmation to be honest. It can't be disputed that it's what they were doing.

EndlessSky said:
Perhaps, they were getting anxious to get there hands on the pre-determined sacrifices and that is why they attacked the Hawks camp like that.

Or they just killed everyone they stumbled on while on the way to the festival like the monsters they are, since they had no way of knowing who was a preordained sacrifice (and in fact, the people they killed at that time weren't sacrifices since they obviously weren't at the Occultation ceremony).

Yea, that is a possibility too but I just thought it was quite the coincidence that they happened to run into the camp of the Hawks that were part of the group that was going to be sacrificed and that it was shown in the manga like that instead of showing just random scenes of them eating people as they gathered for the eclipse. I personally think they kind of knew who was gonna be sacrificed since it was Griffith with the Beherit and Zodd told that prophecy to guts, so in my opinion I think they had some idea. Also in the Eclipse Void said their fates were woven long ago and that is what led them to be sacrifices. However, you are also right that it is possible they just happened by chance as they were gathering but then that opens up whole new questions like was it fate or casuality that they happened to run into them? I'm not saying that is what happened or anything it is just interesting to speculate about.

EndlessSky said:
Yea, that is a possibility too but I just thought it was quite the coincidence that they happened to run into the camp of the Hawks that were part of the group that was going to be sacrificed and that it was shown in the manga like that instead of showing just random scenes of them eating people as they gathered for the eclipse. I personally think they kind of knew who was gonna be sacrificed since it was Griffith with the Beherit and Zodd told that prophecy to guts, so in my opinion I think they had some idea. Also in the Eclipse Void said their fates were woven long ago and that is what led them to be sacrifices. However, you are also right that it is possible they just happened by chance as they were gathering but then that opens up whole new questions like was it fate or casuality that they happened to run into them? I'm not saying that is what happened or anything it is just interesting to speculate about.

I'm by no means a Berserk scholar, but wouldn't the sentence I bolded be the answer to the question? If their fates were woven long ago, wouldn't it mean that those slaughtered by the apostles were never meant to be sacrifices and, therefore, were never a part of the group that were destined to be sacrificed?

That is why I'm saying its probably not a coincidence that the apostles ran in to them on their way to the Eclipse. That is why I said that could be the apostles reason for attacking them but not exactly causalities if you understand what I'm trying to say. So Causality probably meant for those apostles to do that but in the apostles mind it was because they were anixous but in it turns out Causality may have willed it anyway. Furthermore, it is possible that the fate is not absolute and is just a kind of driving force into a certain direction of events. So it could be possible as well that it was just a small variable that those in the hawk camp gotten eaten by anxious apostles instead of being at the sacrifice but were killed anyway. Something like it didn't happen as excepted but went towards the desired direction anyway. I don't know I'm having a hard time trying to explain it like this.

Like I said before though, I am just merely speculating about things that could have happened.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
EndlessSky said:
Yea, that is a possibility too but I just thought it was quite the coincidence that they happened to run into the camp of the Hawks that were part of the group that was going to be sacrificed and that it was shown in the manga like that instead of showing just random scenes of them eating people as they gathered for the eclipse.

Well that was just 2 apostles (Rochine and the Count). Considering how many of them converged to a specific place, it's not that surprising. While we didn't see it, I'm sure the others paused for one or several lunch-breaks on the way as well. And if that's not enough, remember that "coincidences" can be conveniently arranged when you're the Idea of Evil.

EndlessSky said:
I personally think they kind of knew who was gonna be sacrificed since it was Griffith with the Beherit and Zodd told that prophecy to guts, so in my opinion I think they had some idea.

I don't think Rochine and the Count knew the details of who had been in Griffith's army and the like. They had no way to know short of Zodd telling them, and even then I don't see how they could have spotted those people as being part of the Band of the Falcon.

EndlessSky said:
Also in the Eclipse Void said their fates were woven long ago and that is what led them to be sacrifices.

That doesn't apply to people that weren't branded though, so in this case it doesn't mean anything.

EndlessSky said:
was it fate or casuality that they happened to run into them?

Probably yeah, that way there were no people left to talk about Griffith's previous life and the like. Rickert was only saved because of SK's intervention.

EndlessSky said:
So Causality probably meant for those apostles to do that but in the apostles mind it was because they were anixous but in it turns out Causality may have willed it anyway.

Again, the apostles had no way to know who those people were. Especially since they weren't predetermined sacrifices (and I don't think apostles have a way of knowing that anyway). I doubt it mattered much to them. A meal's a meal. Also, causality doesn't have a will, it's just a principle.

EndlessSky said:
Furthermore, it is possible that the fate is not absolute and is just a kind of driving force into a certain direction of events. So it could be possible as well that it was just a small variable that those in the hawk camp gotten eaten by anxious apostles instead of being at the sacrifice but were killed anyway. Something like it didn't happen as excepted but went towards the desired direction anyway.

I don't know, see the line you quoted from Void. What you're saying isn't impossible, but it's very heavy speculation. And "fate" doesn't exist as a "driving force" or such in Berserk. It's really "causality" you're thinking of.

Top Bottom