Sculpting a beherit

Hey, so I'm working on sculpting a beherit. So far it's about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in length and maybe an inch in diameter. I've been looking at the models on art of war, but could use some pointers.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, sounds like a great project to me. Do you have any pictures to show yet? And what do you want pointers on exactly?

Well so far I've got the simple egg down, I'm having difficulty shaping /attatching the features to make them more seamless. I don't have any pictures quite yet, but at this point the only point in taking pictures is to show you how big (small) it is. I was just looking for any suggestions at all in that area, as well as possible suggestions for any future ones I might make, like details, that sort of thing.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
First of all, what type of material are you using? I often teach middle school kids how to work with clay, so if that's what you're using I might be able to give you a few pointers. I suppose the fundamentals of any sculpting project are to make sure you have a plan, and it often helps to draw what you're going to make on paper at several different angles. This may not be so critical for a beherit piece, but it will knock off a lot of time, effort, and frustration for most sculptures, especially if they are more complex.

Highly unlikely, but if you are using wood, here is a pretty cool piece an old friend of mine made for me many years ago that may spark some ideas:

P1010086.jpg

P1010092.jpg

P1010093.jpg

P1010094.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostlePaul said:
Well so far I've got the simple egg down, I'm having difficulty shaping /attatching the features to make them more seamless.

In this case, the simplest solution would be for you to just copy Guts or Griffith's beherit. For the one Guts carries it's relatively easy I think, and there are plenty of pictures in the manga you can use for reference.

Godred

Once sent from the Golden Hall.
I dont know what you're making it out of. But what i have done is make the egg then make the eyes, nose and mouth separate on wax paper. Let the clay or sculpey spread out at the base of the facial features just a little bit but extremely thin. Theeeeeeeeeeeen take some kind tool (Im not saying you need sculpting tools, just something kinda small) and lift the eye, nose or mouth off of the wax paper and apply it to the egg where you see fit. After you applied it use like a smoothing tool (Or just your finger) and smooth those edges to the egg. if its clay or sculpey it should stick really well. umm thats all i can think of off the top of my head. I hope it helped.

Yes, I'm using clay. I'm gonna be making a few so that I can get it down just right, but thanks for all the help everyone. I've been referencing the manga for my pictures, and the hardest part is that, since it's so small, I'm having difficulty getting the features completed the way I like.

Again, thanks an assload.

Top Bottom