Activation of the LHC

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Don't know how popular of a subject this'll be, but I've been following the developments of the Large Hadron Collider as well as the fear based lawsuits against it. For those who don't know, the LHC is a powerful machine meant to accelerate TeV protons at speeds nearing the speed of light. These protons are to collide with one another in order to recreate a small big bang (that's an oxymoron for ya) for a fraction of a microsecond, but long enough to catch a glimpse of the hypothetical Higgs-boson, which is the particle said to have given elementary particles mass. The discovery of which would revolutionize physics possibly allowing for the standard model and Einstein's theory to merge forming the so called "theory of everything".

The machine is super powerful and the collision of the particles would produce energy equivalent to 14 trillion electron volts, the heat of the particles colliding will be one trillion degrees, or 10,000 times hotter than the sun. The fear is that the experiment could cause phenomena such as micro blackholes and strangelets which could gobble up the earth, which has led some to call the machine the "doomsday device".

It is set to run at full power in 16 days....

Well, I say fire the damn thing already!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:

oldbay.jpg

He who controls the seasoning, controls the universe.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
The Large Hadron Collider
I don't think Aaz was confused, he was just using the LHC as an example of how awesome Europe is.

And yeah, I think most of us have been following the development of this doomsday device for a while. I morbidly look forward to its sinister results.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'd just turn into Doctor Manhattan and finally be able to punch you guys through your computer screens when you call an episode a "chapter". Finally!

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
I'd just turn into Doctor Manhattan and finally be able to punch you guys through your computer screens when you call an episode a "chapter". Finally!
You could offer your services for a fee... you would be the richest man in the world.

Guts intestines

Walter said:
I don't think Aaz was confused, he was just using the LHC as an example of how awesome Europe is.

And yeah, I think most of us have been following the development of this doomsday device for a while. I morbidly look forward to its sinister results.

Yeah, I was sleepy, I see now that it was a response to what Bob was saying, plus he lives in Europe so my bad. And hey, if strangelets or blackholes form long enough to destroy us we'll all probably die long before we know about them :serpico:. That to me sure as hell beats dying of radiation once the ozone is gone, unless of course there's a possibility of us turning into fleshless zombies.

Guts intestines

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Well that's not so bad. See everyone is just worrying about nothing. :serpico:

I'm not worried, I think it would be pretty cool for them to find that Higgs-Bozon particle, and who knows what scientists would be able to do after they found it, since it's the hypothetical mass giving particle maybe they could do true anti-gravity?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:

Put on some shorts if you do. :griff:

Oburi

All praise Grail
(this thread is hilarious)

But seriously though why can't the great nations of the world just apply themselves to something more useful...http://top10kid.com/2008/06/27/top-10-movie-gadgets-we-wish-we-had/

I'd kill for a cloaking device or a hoverboard.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I heard about this a only a few months ago. According to Popular Science, there's a good chance dark matter or dark energy will be produced, and less than 1% chance a black hole will form. We're really just smashing things together, and guessing what happens aren't we?

Guts intestines

Okin said:
I heard about this a only a few months ago. According to Popular Science, there's a good chance dark matter or dark energy will be produced, and less than 1% chance a black hole will form. We're really just smashing things together, and guessing what happens aren't we?

Pretty much, so just keep those fingers crossed.

From http://www.lhcfacts.org/?p=67

Pro and Con interviews regarding blackholes forming on the LHC it's an interesting read for them star trek geeks and doomsday machines enthusiasts.
Oburi said:
(this thread is hilarious)

But seriously though why can't the great nations of the world just apply themselves to something more useful...http://top10kid.com/2008/06/27/top-10-movie-gadgets-we-wish-we-had/

I'd kill for a cloaking device or a hoverboard.

This is the second time I hear this comment. Well usually experiements of that kind come up with new mathematical models for physics that end up being used either on new gadgets and new weapons so you should be happy ^_^ (cloaking devices would apply to the second and hoverboards on the first).

Anyhow I am personally afraid of the evil old particle generators
old_tv.jpg

A

avidwriter

So there is a small chance that A) the world ends B) We lose some countires/land mass or C) nothing much and things just continue on as per usual. At least if you aren't a scientist, then if something does happen they'll all have orgasms about the resuslts.

Top Bottom