State controlled names.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080724/ap_on_re_au_an/new_zealand_bizarre_names

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A family court judge in New Zealand has had enough with parents giving their children bizarre names here, and did something about it.

Just ask Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. He had her renamed.

Judge Rob Murfitt made the 9-year-old girl a ward of the court so that her name could be changed, he said in a ruling made public Thursday. The girl was involved in a custody battle, he said.

The new name was not made public to protect the girl's privacy.

"The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child's parents have shown in choosing this name," he wrote. "It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily."

The girl had been so embarrassed at the name that she had never told her closest friends what it was. She told people to call her "K" instead, the girl's lawyer, Colleen MacLeod, told the court.

In his ruling, Murfitt cited a list of the unfortunate names.

Registration officials blocked some names, including Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit, he said. But others were allowed, including Number 16 Bus Shelter "and tragically, Violence," he said.

New Zealand law does not allow names that would cause offense to a reasonable person, among other conditions, said Brian Clarke, the registrar general of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Clarke said officials usually talked to parents who proposed unusual names to convince them about the potential for embarrassment.

New Zealand gets so much good pub these days I had no idea it was such a fascist shithole. =)

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
THE UNITED STATES OF AMERIKKKA IS THE MOST FACIST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD THEY PROA BBLY MAKE YOU ETHNICALLY CLEANSE YOUR CHILDREN AT BIRTH IF THEY ARE BORN BLACK OR ARABIC. HOW DARE YOU SLANDER THE FREE COUNTRY OF NEW ZEALAND. :miura:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Fascist has to be one of the most over used and misused words in politics. Do you even know what the term means or its origins? To most people who use the word, fascist seems to equate to anyone who tells they can't do something, like a parent spanking a child for misbehaving. I can't urinate in public?!! You fascist bastards!!! :schierke:

I have no problem with New Zealand doing this. Stupidity shouldn't be encouraged.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Ha, sex fruit :ganishka:, ah that one slays me.

Damn those were all the dumbest names in history, makes me feel good about mine and I support the judge's decision.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
About a week ago my brother asked me what I thought of naming a kid "fat tits" or something along those lines. I guess the idea spread.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
Fascist has to be one of the most over used and misused words in politics. Do you even know what the term means or its origins?

The only thing I could think of while reading your post was "shut up".

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
As stupid as that name was it wasn't the judges place to change it.

And why not? When parents are too retarded to take apt decisions then I don't mind the government intervening.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:

Honestly, at first I thought it was a satire like Bob's post (I'm still not totally convinced otherwise), but I will settle for self-parody. =)

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Aazealh said:

And why not? When parents are too retarded to take apt decisions then I don't mind the government intervening.

What's wrong can't provide a counter argument?

I ask a genuine question and get this bullshit in return?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
What's wrong can't provide a counter argument?

I ask a genuine question and get this bullshit in return?

No you didn't ask a genuine question, you were trying to nitpick on the humorous use of a term; taking a joke way, way too seriously. And now you're getting offended because you were called out on it. No one wants to hear you ranting about politics in this thread, sorry. Why don't you just laugh at the girl's name like the rest of us?

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Asking people if they know what they are talking about is a genuine question, and rather important if you are deciding on taking time to discuss something. Humorous use of a term? Sorry, but when you hear dozens of pimple-faced college kids using terms like that it gets really old. Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the subject dealing with political matters? As far as I understand the situation did happen and real life and wasn't a spoof, so whatever joke you are speaking of is beyond me. I do find it amusing that you choose to speak for everyone though. Sorry I don't find stupidity funny, more like tiresome. I feel sorry for the kids who are going to be given a hard time early on in school because their moronic parents thought it would be a goof to give them a stupid name.

Anyway, I'll refrain from "ranting" about politics as I wouldn't want to upset the kiddies. :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
Asking people if they know what they are talking about is a genuine question

I'd say that it's just a way for you to belittle their use of the word in the present case, implying that they're ignorant.

KazigluBey said:
Humorous use of a term? Sorry, but when you hear dozens of pimple-faced college kids using terms like that it gets really old.

No relation to the matter at hand. Also, for your information, this term has been used to refer to any kind of authoritarian action/idea for over 50 years in most if not all European countries.

KazigluBey said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the subject dealing with political matters? As far as I understand the situation did happen and real life and wasn't a spoof, so whatever joke you are speaking of is beyond me.

Yeah I noticed that it was beyond you, I think we all did.

KazigluBey said:
I do find it amusing that you choose to speak for everyone though.

And it just so happens that I know everyone's take on the matter. =)

KazigluBey said:
Sorry I don't find stupidity funny, more like tiresome. I feel sorry for the kids who are going to be given a hard time early on in school because their moronic parents thought it would be a goof to give them a stupid name.

Don't be sorry, the judge changed their names. :serpico:

KazigluBey said:
Anyway, I'll refrain from "ranting" about politics as I wouldn't want to upset the kiddies. :schierke:

You wouldn't want to upset me, because if you do I'll ban you like the fascist I am. :SK:

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I'm sorry, I just remembered. The name we came up with was calling a little girl "horsedick". Pretty evil idea. Do we need a law against it? I use to think, "Only in America". Now the whole world seems retarded.

Top Bottom