Who's your pick as the next Batman villain?

Who's your pick as the next Batman villian?

• Total voters
X

Xem

I've seen a lot of discussion over this, so I decided to take my own poll.

Personally I lean toward Mr. Freeze.
Since Batman recently lost his love interest, there's a lot of potential for some good story-telling here. Possibly with Harley Quinn as more of an undertone character. With the Joker in jail and Heath dead (r.i.p.), I think a slower introduction to a new actor would be fitting.

Of course the Riddler is the big rumor at the moment, but I don't really like the idea personally, we need a villain who's more physically capable imho.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hesitating between The Riddler and Poison Ivy, but I ended up voting for The Riddler. I haven't even seen The Dark Knight yet, but my choice is motivated precisely by the fact The Riddler isn't a very physical villain and more of a psychological one. It'd be a good way of showing off Batman's detective skills I think.

I'm definitively against Superman though. There's a lot more to explore in the Batman universe before resorting to crossovers, and Superman's not even a real villain anyway.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Aazealh said:
I'm hesitating between The Riddler and Poison Ivy, but I ended up voting for The Riddler. I haven't even seen The Dark Knight yet, but my choice is motivated precisely by the fact The Riddler isn't a very physical villain and more of a psychological one. It'd be a good way of showing off Batman's detective skills I think.

I'm definitively against Superman though. There's a lot more to explore in the Batman universe before resorting to crossovers, and Superman's not even a real villain anyway.

Yeah, I agree the first crossover we're going to see will be from Marvel in the form of Ironman and the Hulk, it'll be awhile before a Superman + Batman crossover.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Is there a way to pull off the Riddler with out being completely over the top though? The green tights just don't work in the movie's dark setting.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
Yeah, I agree the first crossover we're going to see will be from Marvel in the form of Ironman and the Hulk, it'll be awhile before a Superman + Batman crossover.
Yeah, an Avengers movie is inevitable. I like how this is just the destined direction Hollywood will take, even though the crossovers are some of the worst comics ever.

I've already stated my opinion in the dark knight thread. Anyway, I voted for the Riddler, however I would prefer a duo or maybe even a three villians in one movie kind of thing. The Riddler + Poison Ivy + Bane would be an interesting combo. Talia Al Ghul would be my next choice, in one movie with maybe Mr. Freeze or some other more physical villians.

The villians would of course depend on whether or not there will be a Robin.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I just don't want this series to take nearly the same route the Burton/Schumacher movies did. In the third movie, they used the Riddler and Two-Face and had them realize Batman's secret identity, AND he revealed himself to some random ho. Oh yeah, AND Robin. I'd rather this series go on its own path, and not repeat itself.

That being said, The Riddler is one of the only other realistic villains in Batman's arsenal.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Ramen4ever said:
I've already stated my opinion in the dark knight thread. Anyway, I voted for the Riddler, however I would prefer a duo or maybe even a three villians in one movie kind of thing. The Riddler + Poison Ivy + Bane would be an interesting combo. Talia Al Ghul would be my next choice, in one movie with maybe Mr. Freeze or some other more physical villians.

The villians would of course depend on whether or not there will be a Robin.

If Robin shows his dorky ass face I'd prefer either an adult like the older movies, or Nightwing. This is simply because the movies seem (to me atleast) too dark for Batman to be running around with a kid sidekick.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Yea, robin is very unlikly.

Still, I kinda see how they could fit it in if you look at how robin in being written these days: as what keeps batman sane. The couldn't do it in one movie though. They'd have to have batman throw himself even further into his work and become a failure as a human being. Probably lose Alfred and Fox's support. Really start to crack and take greater and greater risks for no reason.

Robin restores the balance. His responsability to the boy makes him more cautious. The wisecracking bring humor and light back to him.

To fit robin into this world, they'd have to deviate from some of the classic aspects of him. His jokeing would probably work best if it was very grim in front of criminals, but could be goofy and cheerful in front of allies. It would probably be best to use robin's current costume as a guideline. Mostly red and black, pants, and no more yellow then is on batman's. To justify him getting to fight without years of training, they would have to keep him as the natural Grayson has usualy been told as.

Raz could always come back but that would be lazy. But I am really looking for Freeze to be in the next movie or the one after. Also I thought the villain in the older fox cartoon who was obsessed with time was pretty cool. Doubt this would be in a movie but I really liked the Grey Ghost episode from the series as well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
I've already stated my opinion in the dark knight thread. Anyway, I voted for the Riddler, however I would prefer a duo or maybe even a three villians in one movie kind of thing.

Really I think a trio of villains would really suck. I'd prefer if they mostly focused on one bad guy and explored him completely.

X

Xem

Aazealh said:
Really I think a trio of villains would really suck. I'd prefer if they mostly focused on one bad guy and explored him completely.

I agree with this completely, and Batman's always fighting the mob as it is anyway. Leaving them (Joker's henchmen are still around too), and one major villain is the way to go imo. That's why I like the idea of Harley Quinn as a side-character (new mob boss type-of-deal), and then having your big bad guy for Batman to deal with.

The more I think of it, the more upsetting the role of Scarecrow turned out to be. They never seemed to let him really evolve into the villain we see in the comics, he's more of a side character, which is kind of sad.

We'll see how it turns out though, can't speak too soon.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
I actually liked how Scarecrow was presented in the series more realistic and menacing than in the comics, though I think Two-face will be in the third movie. I mean for those who saw the movie based on how it ends, how can Batman redeem himself completely in the eye's of the public if Two-face isnt the villian? Though if they did move on to another villian I think the most likely is the Riddler.

Omega Tom Hanks said:
Though if they did move on to another villian I think the most likely is the Riddler.
What makes the Riddler the likely villain? Aside from a comment made by Gary Oldman, NOTHING in the films has eluded to the Riddler.
I hear random people talking about Two-Face's state. He's gone people.
Gordon is making a speach at his funeral.
We aren't going to see Two-Face.
There's still alot of room for growth with Scarecrow. I hope we see more of him.
Quinn? IDK, how they'd make that fly in these films.

A

avidwriter

Proj2501 said:

He is speaking at Harvey Dent's funeral. If you remember Batman said that Harvent Dent is dead and it's better if no one knows who he became, so they made it seem like he died. However I believe he is still alive as Two-Face and is locked away in Ahrkam.
Sorry about my spelling.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
avidwriter said:
He is speaking at Harvey Dent's funeral. If you remember Batman said that Harvent Dent is dead and it's better if no one knows who he became, so they made it seem like he died. However I believe he is still alive as Two-Face and is locked away in Ahrkam.
Sorry about my spelling.

First off the funeral hadn't happened yet, he was going over it in his mind and secondly if Dent did die he was talking about his ideals, not literally Harvey Dent being alive. Until there is a funeral in the 3rd movie for Dent, there is no solid evidence he's dead.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Proj2501 said:
What makes the Riddler the likely villain? Aside from a comment made by Gary Oldman, NOTHING in the films has eluded to the Riddler.
There's still alot of room for growth with Scarecrow. I hope we see more of him.
Quinn? IDK, how they'd make that fly in these films.

Besides the fact that in the viral campaign The Riddler under alias(I forgot which one) writes a column in the Gotham Times. Plus Mike Engel who was played by Athony Micheal Hall is a alias that The Riddler uses once or twice in the comic books.

Top Bottom