Batman: Arkham Asylum

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/12/batman-arkham-asylum-revealed-by-game-informer/

Anyone see this in the new game informer.

http://hrudu.wordpress.com/2008/08/17/batman-arkham-asylum-game/

More screenshots.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
the Joker will be the main villain in the story of a prison break gone awry, written by Paul Dini (Justice League, Batman Beyond).
They forgot to mention Dini is also the guy behind Batman: The Animated Series. Could be cool. Too early to praise it though. I don't see any description of gameplay details. Just hints of a "Bat Theft Auto" (fucking retarded phrase).

A

avidwriter

Walter said:
Just hints of a "Bat Theft Auto" (fucking retarded phrase).

That might just mean open ended gameplay where you can wander around and do things however you want in just about any order.

X

Xem

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea I mean I'm not into comic book games at all really but the screen shots look really cool. Plus the new spiderman web of shadows game looks like fun too. I don't know maybe superhero games can be fun if they are done right. Heres to optimism.

So I downloaded the demo for Batman Arkham Asylum when they released it a few days ago and I must say I'm impressed!!! Wow I thought this game was gonna suck. But wow...um I can't say much more...The thing that was great to me was that they have pretty much the entire voice cast for Batman the animated series doing the voice acting here. Also these graphics are incredible. I highly recommend people playing the demo. Needless to say I'm doing a preorder on the CE of batman.

Yeah, Batman looks promising, however if I have one complaint, it's the camera. Unless I missed something, I hate how close up on Batman we're forced to be. He takes up a good half of the screen at any given time and it makes fast turning a little disorienting at times.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
So I downloaded the demo for Batman Arkham Asylum when they released it a few days ago and I must say I'm impressed!!!
I tried out the PC demo tonight (it's short -- about 20 min of gameplay). It's definitely a lot better than I thought it would be, but I have qualms with the combat system, or just the general approach the game takes of approaching enemies. It seems that it's designed so that you have to take one or two different approaches to each scenario, meaning there are many "wrong" ways to proceed. This flustered me, since I'm the kind of guy that likes to improvise.

But, it does shows promise. The "detective mode" was cool, and brought me back to Metroid Prime for a moment :guts: I may get it, if it's on sale at launch on Steam. It looks like it could be fun!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Reviews are in and.... IT'S GOOD!

[quote author=IGN]
The greatest comic book videogame of all time.
Score: 93[/quote]

[quote author=Game Informer]
Batman: Arkham Asylum is this year's "BioShock," not just from the connection established with the world, but from its ability to innovate where new ideas are needed, and moreover, deliver an adventure unlike any other.
Score: 95[/quote]

Even the lowest score on the totem pole makes it sound like something I'd want to play:
[quote author=GamePro]
It's a triumph of mood and psychological tension, and devoted fans will find a great deal to excite them. But they're also bound to be disappointed by its reliance on repetitive combat and a shortage of villains worth the big man's attention.
Score: 80[/quote]

Reviews in full and others can be read, as always, on metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/batmanarkhamasylum

Walter said:
Reviews are in and.... IT'S GOOD!

Well of course! I could've told you that. That demo is really something. Glad I bothered to DL it when it was released because I thought this game was crap at first glance. I can't wait for tomorrow. I preordered the collector's edition so not only will I get a great game but I'll get a real life batarang too!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
Well of course! I could've told you that. That demo is really something. Glad I bothered to DL it when it was released because I thought this game was crap at first glance. I can't wait for tomorrow. I preordered the collector's edition so not only will I get a great game but I'll get a real life batarang too!
I'm so pissed at you console owners... the PC version on Steam doesn't come out until "September 2009" :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
I could've sworn you had an xbox?

He doesn't. Anyway it's pretty cool, to be honest the game didn't look too promising to me but it looks like it's worth getting after all!

The game is gonna be good and can't wait to pick it up today. The only thing I possibly will not like is I heard the gameplay time is short. Something around 16 hours of actual story missions. But then you have the challenge maps and all other trophies and stuff to get. But maybe it was just garbage I heard.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
The only thing I possibly will not like is I heard the gameplay time is short. Something around 16 hours of actual story missions.
16 hours for a single-player game is short?

16 hours is pretty decent/above average for a non JRPG. Might pick it up as a rental, but I wasn't too impressed with the combat system or the way to often gargoyle hide n seek feature. The atmosphere in the game is top notch though, and I like the visual style.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
To clarify, in 1up's review of the game (http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3175696&p=4) the reviewer said it took him "a little over nine hours."

So, for me, I'm guessing that translates to about 11-12 :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Best Batman game ever.
I've been seeing that phrase thrown around a lot. I'm not sure it carries much weight by itself. What's the second-best Batman game then? What high-quality game did this awesome one dethrone? Lego Batman? :schierke:

Again, not questioning the quality of Arkham Asylum. It looks great. But that phrase that's being used constantly in reviews "Best Batman Game" holds utterly no water with me. They've all been shit. So this is king shit, and just happens to be great!

Walter said:
I've been seeing that phrase thrown around a lot. I'm not sure it carries much weight by itself. What's the second-best Batman game then? What high-quality game did this awesome one dethrone? Lego Batman? :schierke:

Again, not questioning the quality of Arkham Asylum. It looks great. But that phrase that's being used constantly in reviews "Best Batman Game" holds utterly no water with me. They've all been shit. So this is king shit, and happens to be great.

Before this the best batman game was the snes beatem up for the second movies.

This batarang sucks....it supposed to have this "weathered" look to it. So it's all scratched up and stuff. I was hoping for a clean one.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
This batarang sucks....it supposed to have this "weathered" look to it. So it's all scratched up and stuff. I was hoping for a clean one.
Man, this game sounds like it sucks! :schierke:

Top Bottom